ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One man, two Cups.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So a year had passed since writing off the cammed Iceberg, I thought it was time to jump back in to 172 ownership with a cup.

A few tidy ones were on the market. Then I spotted @philly w was selling his...so the deal was done the cash was exchanged the car was driven home. I'll essentially be carrying on with several things Phil was hoping to get around to doing. This thread Is going to give a nod back to all he had done so for reference.....here's his thread http://www.cliosport.net/threads/another-172-cup-build.770253/

Done in phils ownership
▪️New tie rods, track rod ends and gaiters
▪️K-tec recessed catback
▪️Vibratechnics top engine mount
▪️Freshly powder coated rear beam
▪️Powerflex beam bushes
▪️PMS 10mm axle spacers
▪️new clutch kit (Valeo OEM spec)
▪️Blasted and painted hubs with new bearings
▪️Goodridge phantom braided hoses
▪️Brembo HC front discs
▪️Mintex M1144 front pads

Done in my ownership
▪K&N Panel Filter
▪️Air box elbow joint
▪"Real" carbon intrior strips (dipped)
▪️New clutch kit (Valeo OEM spec)
▪️Timing check at SJM Automotive
▪️S2000 ariel
▪️removed Halfords style badge

Still to do....(happening soon)
▪️Powder coated subframe with repair/strengthening washers
▪️Powder coated anti roll bar
▪️Powerflex anti roll bar bushes
▪️Sabelt wheel and OMP boss kit
▪Pure motorsport top mounts + strut brace
▪️New arch liners
▪️New RS197 style badge
▪️Scenic modded shifter (on waiting list)

Phil started with the car..
A8F9EE96-E5CE-4833-9176-2A8BD65C56F6.jpg

In pretty good shape.
F36BEF88-7EA9-4350-9756-51D344C6B3FD.jpg

He then set about sorting out the running gear..New rear calipers, discs, pads Goodridge braided hoses, Powerflex bushes, Eibach sport line springs.
C6BCB0DC-7661-4C54-8CF8-14A318C1F59F.jpg

3CB41688-A2CB-412B-9A07-76CA9BB58CDF.jpg

44460D84-1A63-4F65-9445-6567E63C7D38.jpg

Then he'd added new front callipers with a few extra coats of paint, new slider kit and powder coated carriers.
1DA189EE-7ADA-42AE-B563-1BE3A45726E7.jpg

Eibach sportline springs and new cup shocks went on along with cleaned up and painted hubs, new bearings, Brembo HC discs and Mintex 1144 pads
59E044FE-7CEB-4270-AB56-66E2102009B1.jpg

He'd then noticed some rust around the petrol filler so it was cut out and replaced.
2D2FDE94-34B8-494E-A26D-B728DA8EB108.jpg

New filler flap fitted and painted
F21A7B19-6A9B-48C6-920C-8C2BFA20C27B.jpg

Along with the commen dents removed from the bonnet and some paint chips blown over
F21A7B19-6A9B-48C6-920C-8C2BFA20C27B.jpg

So that's where it left off with Phil...who was nice enough to let me interupt his family holiday so I could make the drive up to buy the car.
Car bought and I started making a few little changes.

Before that she was given a 200+ round trip to collect pick up a little 182 for @Dano'
image_6.jpg

The previous owner had a neighbour whos 182 was so sick it had to be parked outside the local surgery
image_6.jpg

Home and it was time for a quick strip. I mean strip change...out came the cup ones...in went...
image_7.jpg

image_8.jpg

Ones that I'm really not to sure about. Anyone want to buy some interior strips?

Got around to removing the halfords style badge
IMG_6744.jpg

On went the S2000 ariel and while we're at it...Second pic here shows the dent that was there when Philly W owned the car....his dent guy did a good job as you can see below.
IMG_6756.jpg

65367A69-B231-45A1-905B-394B92911467.jpg

In went a new K&N panel filter then after a nose around on here at what seems to work for people.
IMG_6743.jpg

Down to SJM Automotive then for a new clutch + timing check and to drop off my hord of goodies for future fitment.
image_16.jpg

image_15.jpg

image_11.jpg

Today a new intake elbow was sourced from my old iceberg under dans recommendation as he noticed it had been cut down (not sure how this slipped my attention!) whilst down the yard Rene met her bust up sister for the first time. She's going to either become a breaker, a parts donor or a track rat. Not sure yet. And yes I know...I've named the car. Deal with it 😅
IMG_6743.jpg

image_14.jpg

Then went home and opened up some more goodies for Dan at SJM to fit soon.
image_13.jpg

That's it so far. Two weeks in to clio ownership again and I'm already spending money I haven't got.
Do I care? 😂 No. Is it worth it....To keep Phils hard work going...yes.

This car/project is going to be a long termer. The aim...I'm not sure. I'd like to just keep it as clean and smart as possible.
Not chasing power figures...more focusing on drive-ability/function over form. I'd like to push it more towards the track-spec side of the spectrum yet still be able to use it daily with no hassles.

On the agenda is tidying up the engine bay a little. It's just picking where to start...help? Though first of all I'll be the car to a good deep clean and detail.
image_17.jpg

image_18.jpg

Anyway...enjoy 😅

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Can't thank @Filters enough for his help lately! Legend

It's cool to be back in a 182, I get the feeling it will make a few more appearances in this thread along the way haha

More than likely....though hopefully not like the impreza! 🙈
Help shmelp kn*bber that's what friends are for. Don't get all soppy now 😂

Looks brilliant. Look forward to seeing it.
Looks like it's going to be a beauty, parts going on are spot on too! Very nice.

As for engine bay ideas... yours looks neater from the off with the lack of AC pipework [emoji106]

Satin black battery cover maybe?
Clean/renew the coolant tank? I need to do this too, mine looks shabby! Coolant needs changing on mine next service, so I may fit a new bottle at same time.

Paint the inlet manifold and fuel guard for sure. While inlets off you could paint top of cam cover too.
I primed then painted my inlet rover graphite grey I think it was, from halfords
uploadfromtaptalk1441666540281.jpg

My bays nothing exciting. I need to do my fuel guard again as I didn't prime it properly and paint didn't take to it in some spots [emoji20]
3da57d06d3014b898c2053f12a354361.jpg

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks brilliant. Look forward to seeing it.
Looks like it's going to be a beauty, parts going on are spot on too! Very nice.

As for engine bay ideas... yours looks neater from the off with the lack of AC pipework [emoji106]

Satin black battery cover maybe?
Clean/renew the coolant tank? I need to do this too, mine looks shabby! Coolant needs changing on mine next service, so I may fit a new bottle at same time.

Paint the inlet manifold and fuel guard for sure. While inlets off you could paint top of cam cover too.
I primed then painted my inlet rover graphite grey I think it was, from halfords
View attachment 135916

My bays nothing exciting. I need to do my fuel guard again as I didn't prime it properly and paint didn't take to it in some spots [emoji20]
3da57d06d3014b898c2053f12a354361.jpg

I do like the look of that chap! Looks clean even if you say the guard needs redoing.
I've been toying with the idea of having the inlet, fuel rail guard and cam cover powder coated. Might pinch the matched inlets from the Berg if that happens though. but then I like the clean...bare metal look too. Torn on this one.
Desperately want to replace the carpet on the firewall as it looks scabby as hell. Cleaning the coolant tank and power steering tank needs to happen for sure.

Painted is my preference.
Powder coating is ideal!

Don't think you can paint/remove cam cover without effecting timing or something else. I was looking to remove mine to paint but was told not to.
So painted mine in situ.

Yeah. Rob all the parts you can off it! [emoji106] [emoji41]

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hmmm....I don't think I have the patience or skills to paint it.
Inlets and fuel guard no problem. Rocker cover maybe not.
I don't think taking the cam cover off on the engine mount side makes any difference to the timing but I could be wrong and in for a ripping now.🙈

Don't really want to take much more off her :sweat: It pains me to see such a low mileage car not on the road. I'm so very very tempted to save up fix her and track her. But then I could do with some cash so stripping her may be the way. ARGH!

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Car looks great @Filters So jealous of the painted/coated undercar parts (rear axle, front arb etc.). If I had a garage its the first thing I would do, fitting my new powerflex bushes to all the rusty old metal was heartbreaking!

Cheers chap, some may think I'm silly for focusing so much on asthetical stuff but at the end of the day, I want this car to last :)

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Another day of playing with asthetics. Had a bit of free time on my hands today so gave the car a good clean to see what's going to be needed to bring the paint work back to life. Needs some paint correction and swirl removal...maybe a touch of paint in places (that's just be being picky) aside from that she cleans up rather well.
image_26.jpg

image_23.jpg

Took a quick little walk down to the yard then to get a few more bits from the berg. Knabbed an ally footrest to match the pedals. Started clearing the pedals out of 12 years worth of mud from the holes and decided then to start polishing them up.
image_27.jpg

As everything on the car is pretty much sorted and solid, I've started looking in to the possibilities of chasing power.
Don't think I can afford anything to crazy at the moment so might just stick on some matched inlets an RStuner map.
Anyone selling an RStuner?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Hi mate i got jamsport matched upper and lower inlets coming off as the rs2 style inlet will be fitted soon hopefully 😧

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
i was putting them up for £100 as i know jamsports are i think around 180 delivered,but i can do you a good deal as you are helping me home :smile:

Looks lovely. [emoji106]

The powdercoated parts are sweet. Stops everything corroding too!

The cam covers easy to paint mate! All you need to do to paint it is remove the inlet.... which you'll be doing anyway [emoji4]

Flick through my thread if you like, pics of how I did mine on there. Basically get a big dust sheet/old double duvet maybe.... Cut a hole in middle of it and drape it over your front end with the hole over the cam cover and masking tape around the edge of it.
Brake/carb cleaner on the cover, clean and jobs a good un. Spray away! Or just clean the cam cover and leave it at that.

I wouldn't bother with chasing power. I'd focus on track prep/ handling etc.
Their so fun as standard (engine wise), much more enjoyable/satisfying to drive than the s3!

Just stick with a few bits like the inlets and rs tuner IMO. Anything more is unnecessary [emoji4]

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks lovely. [emoji106]

Flick through my thread if you like, pics of how I did mine on there. Basically get a big dust sheet/old double duvet maybe.... Cut a hole in middle of it and drape it over your front end with the hole over the cam cover and masking tape around the edge of it.
Brake/carb cleaner on the cover, clean and jobs a good un. Spray away! Or just clean the cam cover and leave it at that.

Hmmm I may well have to have a dig through at some time...in your project thread is it?
Bought some engine degreaser and metal polish so shall see how that works out first.

Hmmm I may well have to have a dig through at some time...in your project thread is it?
Bought some engine degreaser and metal polish so shall see how that works out first.
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/liquidyelldans-182-thread.733881/page-2
It's the middle of page 2. Save you the effort [emoji4]
Strangely I found engine decrease worse than the brake cleaner. It left a residue... which I had to Remove with the brake cleaner.
A quick clean and a polish would probAbly suffice for cam cover tbf.
Like you say, see how that turns out.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/liquidyelldans-182-thread.733881/page-2
It's the middle of page 2. Save you the effort [emoji4]
Strangely I found engine decrease worse than the brake cleaner. It left a residue... which I had to Remove with the brake cleaner.
A quick clean and a polish would probAbly suffice for cam cover tbf.
Like you say, see how that turns out.

Essshhhhh...think that may well be a job for when my arms fixed up. I'd loose my rag with the masking tape getting caught up in my gammy hand 😂
Was bad enough packaging up a few bits from the berg.
Had a bit of news on the surgery front which is going to slow the progress down a bit....to the point I probably won't get to properly drive her until spring now.

In better news though I've managed to free up some cash so some new Federal RSRs are on order. All my other bits have turned up now ready for fitting.......and I've decided the bergs being broken for bits, the bikes being sold. Boosts happening.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It looks spot on mate, I'm glad it's in good hands. Looking forward to see what you do it.

I plan on keeping her for a good while chap so will be plenty to see hopefully.
Steering wheel + boss kit, subframe, ARB + bushes, top mounts and strut brace is going on in the next couple of weeks.

You know you left me with a mint prorace2 alloy as a spare? Nice little surprise that was...cheers chap!

Very jealous of the powder coated subframe, beam etc. I've been cleaning my parts up as I go along more recently to get a cleaner finish, just don't have the space inside to give it a proper strip, clean, seal and coat of everything!

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Little update for the end of september. (Some more pics)

Rene went to SJM Automotive for a few bits and bobs Last week. Whilst down there we spotted a few more things to add to the list of "things to do" the rocker cover gasket has sprung a little leak so is being replaced. Dan mentioned the possibility of fitting the R172BP285 cams from the old Iceberg at the same time along with the bergs matched inlets.......this would mean having to swap the ECU and UCH, how ever it's tempting me highly! As the Cam cover, rocker cover, inlets and rail guard will be coming off I'll be painting them up though undecided on colour yet.

The 5th gear syncro is on its way out and has a little crunch at times so will be replaced too. Seeing as the subframe will be dropped again for this, the steering rack bushes are coming out and some fresh oem bushes going in. A new subframe mount bush is on the way too as the olds on it's last legs. That'll be everu bush and mount replaced for new then. Tightness!

Recent work carried out.
Off came the old subframe
image_28.jpg

Off went the sump, ARP rod bolts fitted along with a new sump seal. Dan cleaned out the oil pump which was pretty clean already.
image_29.jpg

The new subframe and antiroll bar went on, some new powerflex ARB bushes. Wishbones were cleaned up again before fitting, they'd covered little to no miles sine Phil fitted them so would of been pointless to replace.
image_31.jpg

Last up was the PMS top mounts and Strut brace. As time was pressing on I didn't get any pictures of it being fitted or the subframe being fitted either but...
image_30.jpg

I did get one the day after, took the time to give the engine and bay a little clean up whilst the sun was out, then before the welsh rain hit I gave the car a quick was and temporary seal to protect the paint until I get a chance to properly have a go at it.
image_32.jpg

Still to do is the steering wheel and rear shocks (fitted with non-cup spec ones...anyone needing some low mileage shocks? VGC) tyres, tracking and the aforementioned rocker cover gasket and gear syncro.....and possibly the cams. Possibly.

Slowly but surely, we're getting there!

Popped down to filters place to service my Clio at weekend but nothing went according to plan, so basically ended up doing nothing apart from having a chat. Ha ha.

Got to have a look at the cup for first time though and it looks a cracking example! Really nice one! [emoji106]
0aacc5f46591325b1d24b4c0b839e49d.jpg