ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The car's the easy bit!

And the cheap bit, its using it for half a dozen or more races that will be the issue.

anyone considering it needs to realistically be able to throw probably 7K into their first year.

Im kinda tempted as thats only half my current trackday and car mods annual budget so I only have to give that up rather than find a new source of income etc, but on the other hand it will mean a lot less seat time and a lot less fun modifying things, and Im not sure if the "racing" bit of it makes up for that or not.

Deffo tempted though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I just want people to understand that whilst its cheap racing, it's still a lot if money. The last thing we need is half the grid dropping out mid season because they've run out of money.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Being French trophy what other cars and limits will be enforced and who will control them?

Best of luck with the class I really hope it works out well! Would be very interesting to build a car to spec this year and see the sort of times it could do. It's effectively a fast road setup so will be a multipurpose car!

If I can be of any help at any point then please ask, would be nice to help the series as seems a great club from what I've seen at the weekend :)

Lionel Richie
As daft as this sounds i can probably setup a group buy type deal on the ARDS medical and the driving test

Medical i can get down to £50-60 (several customers of mine are GP's ;))

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I know but also could you race a 205, 206, Saxo etc to the same spec as the clio but in the same class?

I think This is what tony was getting at earlier. The class is for clios as we can all (to a degree) police it. If someone had changed the inlets on a 206 GTI who would know?? We're all Clio geeks.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think This is what tony was getting at earlier. The class is for clios as we can all (to a degree) police it. If someone had changed the inlets on a 206 GTI who would know?? We're all Clio geeks.

Also, you'd then need more classes; 1.4-1.6, 1.6-2.0 etc. lots more work involved for the organisers I'd imagine

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its a "stock 172" series, that should make it pretty obvious whats allowed or not as a saxo isnt going to be a stock 172, if someone else wants to run a stock saxo series then let them.

The saxos are in a different class to the clios currently anyway, on engine size, so its not anything new for them to be on track together but not actually in the same class or competing against each other.

WRX
I'd have thought you could do a full on modified saxo for about the same price, if you really wanted to. ITBs and a hair dryer job done,

Clio 172
Group buy for a medical at £50??? I paid £16.25 for mine last month on my own. Are people really paying £100 plus for it? There's f**k all to it. Unless your over 40 I understand you have to have an ECG that puts it up

182cup & 172 racecar
Ecg not needed for Nat B. Its a standard charge at the Dr's, they have it on a list.

You youngsters only have to have it done once, not like an old codger like me annually.

Can't really restrict it to Clio's, can we, only 2 of you might end up doing it!! Plus it is called the French Trophy after all.

​There is still alot of head banging to do, but it will happen.

Racing is also a serious pastime, it's not just like hooning it on a track day, as my video of race 1 will prove.

Last edited:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
You can get started on a basic car as it will always be good for trackdays and it wont be like you are sinking thousands into it.

182cup & 172 racecar
If you turned up at Cadwell at the end of the month, with a car in the spec that's been discussed, we would just put in an invitation class and away you go.

Simples.#

WRX
You can get started on a basic car as it will always be good for trackdays and it wont be like you are sinking thousands into it.

Not aimed at you mate,more a generalisation and food for thought for anyone considering entering:
​Still got to have a slightly different attitude towards it though. Got to be serious about it all and realise the consequences, as there's a far greater chance of binning it. Prepare for it to look battle scarred etc.
Whilst I would consider driving it to events, I'm also considering a new family/tow car and trailer so I've covered all eventualities. These are all things you have to factor in, rebuild costs to buy another car if it gets totalled etc. etc.

In an ideal world, I'd like to do a few events in it and a few trackdays/practises but will all come down to costs of how many TDs I do, as it will be primarily a race car next year.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not aimed at you mate,more a generalisation:
​Still got to have a slightly different attitude towards it though. Got to be serious about it all and realise the consequences, as there's a far greater chance of binning it. Prepare for it to look battle scarred etc.
Whilst I would consider driving it to events, I'm also considering a new family/tow car and trailer so I've covered all eventualities. These are all things you have to factor in, rebuild costs to buy another car if it gets totalled etc. etc.

MUCH greater chance of binning it or at least rubbing another competitor.

most trackday cars never touch another car, most race cars do.

Its swapping odds probably of 1% chance of damage over a couple of years period to 99% odds instead!

182cup & 172 racecar
We might even come to some arrangement on a spares package, like a box of sensors, t'stat's, rear discs etc, to save people a little.

​All in the mixing bowl atm.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Not aimed at you mate,more a generalisation and food for thought for anyone considering entering:

In an ideal world, I'd like to do a few events in it and a few trackdays/practices but will all come down to costs of how many TDs I do, as it will be primarily a race car next year.

Exactly, and I am pretty sure you are aware that I am not hugely bothered about the appearance of my cars. So for me taking battle scars really wouldn't bother me, a big bin would but it comes with the territory, so you have to know the risks.

I would always tow a race car, would be daft to drive it there and then drive it home, the risks are too high.

But my point was that, even if you started building a car and the series wasn't to go ahead you will still have a good cheap trackcar to use, so you may as well start building as soon as you can.

182cup & 172 racecar
MUCH greater chance of binning it or at least rubbing another competitor.

most trackday cars never touch another car, most race cars do.

Its swapping odds probably of 1% chance of damage over a couple of years period to 99% odds instead!

Exactly!!!

330i. E30 Touring.
We might even come to some arrangement on a spares package, like a box of sensors, t'stat's, rear discs etc, to save people a little.

​All in the mixing bowl atm.

I'll start coming to every meet with a boot full of spares. ;)

Do you still need a dry break fuel sampling device?
I'm not 100% on this, I have a bad feeling the answer is yes but I don't have one and i'm fairly sure Tony doesn't not sure about the other competitors. If required they are about £75 from Tweaks

Edit: just seen your reply Fred, my answer is just with regards to bluebook regs