ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

WRX
Apparently not Sam. Because race car out of the showroom iirc.

Well after just watching Top Gear, I'd have been breathing down The Stig's neck at Donny in mine. So these cars have potential in the state of tune that's being proposed.

WRX
Well they put the Stig in a Mini Works GP and he lapped Donington in 1:29.8 seconds. I can do it in my Clio, in a similar spec that's being proposed for this series in 1:30s.
I still have a lot to learn and still don't class myself as up to my potential, but the Mini has about 50 bhp and lb/ft more than my Clio and pedalled by a professional racing driver. If Sam's saying it was from a standing start (cos he's in the know on these things) then I retract it. However if it's like for like then why the hell are people saying the suggested setup isn't up to the job?

As stated above, I'm no driving God.

Cup In bits
In reality, my cup shocks have done more track miles than probably all the racers' coilovers put together on here. Can't see how you can say they aren't up to it.

I'm not saying they wouldn't last a season, I know there good fun having a track car with cup shocks and sportlines. My point is they roll like a boat and £600-£1000 on a half decent setup will indefinetely make the cars better to drive, be quicker and in the grand scheme of a season 1k isn't a great amount.

People see a race ready car for 3k and think great thats cheap. Factor in the cost to get yourself race ready, race the car and all travel, fuel repairs and suddenly it all mounts up. IMO there is not such a thing as cheap door to door racing if your contesting over a season, I know this all too well from the car i'm building just now and freind's that race in one make series.

7-10 k?.......

surely not that much

Quite easilly I would think, count in a few bashes throughout the year which will 90% happen being a closely run 1 make series.

To easy to get these revalved mate. Grass roots motorsport always has, and always WILL attract cheats unfortunately. I think you'd have to keep it standard shocks purely based on the the fact that you can't revalve them.

Same could be said for standard items with the know how, thats where seals would come into play done by one seller to make it easier. As you said cheating is rife in one make championships and it will go one of two ways, everybody gets to know the cheat/mod and everyone does it or it gets outlawwed. There's bending the rules and just blatantly breaking them though.

WRX
Still another grand to pay out on a "budget" series though isn't it? Then buying even better secondhand ones could come into it, where do you draw the line?
As you and I well know, these budgets can easily get blown out of all proportion. Keeping things almost stock creates a reasonable difference in Classes. The likes of Tony, James, Pete, Sam and Ian etc. run in Class A Modified and us paupers are in Class B Standard ISH.

Tony and I were speaking to Ian Green on Saturday about it. He finished 7th and 9th iirc, said he would consider taking his coilovers off and run in the lower class, if it happens. As his car is more to that standard, he'd be more competitive in the lower class.

Cars were racing for almost 100 years before coilovers were invented. They may be far superior but they aren't the be all and end all.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
I can't answer all the questions.

But Fred got it about right, as I discussed it with him late on Sat.

This will be tagged onto the French Trophy, as it will mean more cars on the grid. This will result in more chance of getting our own race.

Yes it will be standard suspension, with free choice of springs. (if you don't like it then tough, go do something else).

There will be no power to weight stuff (more costs involved, and it can be fiddled anyway), so if you are a fat chuffer, unlucky.

Camber bolts and shims will be allowed

Top mounts can be changed, and include a strutbrace.

Exhaust free

Standard calipers

discs and pads atm are free

Arb, not sure yet as they may be hard to get hold of

Standard ecu and working dash

15" wheels

Take out what you like, but no cutting of any bodywork.

There is loads more, but basically.

Buy a car
Remove as much crap as possible
Install fire and electrical switches
A set of new shocks and whatever springs (not custom)
Polybush if you want
No metal bushes, rose joints etc
Stick a cage in, no show cages and comply with blue book regs
Plastic windows is a no atm, again costs
You will need a 2ltr oil catch tank blue book rules anyway
And maybe batteries can be moved

But that's it. You could actually prep a car in a weekend and still keep the missus happy.

I know I'm going to get bombarded with some stupid questions as well as some sensible ones, so who's gong to try my pationce first.

This by no means set in stone, but the organiser seemed quite happy with what was put forward, and he want's CHEAP entry motorsport.

Engines will be checked as best we can, by somebody who's in the know
No turb's
No oil burners

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
That makes sense to me as it would enable a progression path for those that want to get more serious and challenge the modified cars.

182cup & 172 racecar
Still trying to sort out 2 drivers.

Atm as the regs stand, whoever qualifies quickest has to do race one, the second driver starts from the back in race two.

This because race 2 grids are done on race 1 finishing positions.

Trying to try and get it so that 2nd driver fits into 2nd race grid wherever their quali time puts them. but then this will upset a few as well, so we'll see what the MSA have to say.

Of course you will need to have a ARDS test etc and all the kit.

Entry fee's will be about the same as now £300ish

Last edited:
Still trying to sort out 2 drivers.

Atm as the regs stand, whoever qualifies quickest has to do race one, the second driver starts from the back in race two.

This because race 2 grids are done on race 1 finishing positions.

Trying to try and get it so that 2nd driver fits into 2nd race grid wherever their quali time puts them. but then this will upset a few as well, so we'll see what the MSA have to say.

Of course you will need to have a ARDS test etc and all the kit.

Entry fee's will be about the same as now £300ish

This is probably a silly question but i'll ask anyway... i bought the go rally pack a few months ago i take it i can't use the paperwork that came with that for the ARDS test?

182cup & 172 racecar
This is probably a silly question but i'll ask anyway... i bought the go rally pack a few months ago i take it i can't use the paperwork that came with that for the ARDS test?

Phone MSA

So is this definite Tony Tone Tone?

If we get some takers, then yes.

Very interested if you can sort the shared driving position. Will need to persuade the wife a second caged clio is needed :)

Starting from the back ain't so bad if it can't be sorted, at least you'll get to pass another car (maybe)

Also no LSD, forgot about that.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If we get some takers, then yes.

When do you need to know? I have to speak to Sam at depth as I don't have the truck anymore and we'll need to buy a trailer etc. But i'm going on holiday tuesday.

​I'm so fcuking excited I could s**t.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im with something along the lines of freds idea...
standard inlet/airbox, no matching.
standard ecu, do what you want with mapping (everyone will just run fastchip 98ron!)
standard diameter discs and standard callipers do as you please with manufactuer/compound
nominate a tyre for the series
standard dampers, do as you please with springs.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
for that reason i think nominating a road tyre rather than slicks would be better, as many of us yonger ones don't have licences to tow so we could have road legal cars (of course you can swap wheels but it ends up with everyone with road wheels lying about just complicates things!

182cup & 172 racecar
im with something along the lines of freds idea...
standard inlet/airbox, no matching.
standard ecu, do what you want with mapping (everyone will just run fastchip 98ron!)
standard diameter discs and standard callipers do as you please with manufactuer/compound
nominate a tyre for the series
standard dampers, do as you please with springs.

Have you just not read what I've posted??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Drive it there, take the passenger seat out, race it, then drive it home.

Fcuk off.

I want to take the van with the car on a trailer, my bbq, some cold beers and make weekends of it! Trackdays will have to stop in order to fund it so I need to keep my social aspect correct.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I want to take the van with the car on a trailer, my bbq, some cold beers and make weekends of it! Trackdays will have to stop in order to fund it so I need to keep my social aspect correct.

1. Buy Ex-BT workshop van
2. Pack it to the roof with tools and spares. Make sure you have everything that breaks all the time, but nobody ever has.
3. Voila. You are now everyone's friend.

It works ;)

182cup & 172 racecar
for that reason i think nominating a road tyre rather than slicks would be better, as many of us yonger ones don't have licences to tow so we could have road legal cars (of course you can swap wheels but it ends up with everyone with road wheels lying about just complicates things!

What?

when peeps talk of 'slicks' on here, they mean stickier tyres ie, 888's dunlop direzzas Ado08's etc. These are all road legal tyres anyway.

182cup & 172 racecar
Fcuk off.

You won't be allowed out all weekend, so don't kid yourself, your balls are not that big.