ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Have you just not read what I've posted??
no i skipped to the end when someone started discussing if silvervisions were aloud

What?

when peeps talk of 'slicks' on here, they mean stickier tyres ie, 888's dunlop direzzas Ado08's etc. These are all road legal tyres anyway.
slicks to me are not road tyres, and if that's what they refer to on here then that's odd?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When is this likely to kick off? Next season?

Will there be a draft of what's allowed and what isn't? Ie stud/nuts?

Rough idea on cost? Race entry?

Are you lot a day behind us??

Yes it will kick off next season, if there's enough takers.

​Race entries are circa £300 per meeting.

Did you not know we just got the Internet up here? Still trying to work out how to use this site! ;)

Was just looking for some more concrete answers. I'm a noob to Motorsport so want to look into this early and try get funds.

WRX
Still in very early stages, I think next season is the reality. Give us chance to get setup with both car and regs. Also give us chance to get ARDS etc. No point rushing, I'd rather be a bit more prepared for next year. Even with my car almost right bar stripping, cage etc. I don't think I'm prepared as a total package until next year when I can do it right.

Going to take a lot of dining out and Spa breaks for our better halves first!

182cup & 172 racecar
Already one lad want's to do it. It's cheaper for him to downgrade his car to this spec, than it would be to try and get further up in class A with us.

WRX
Tony as a rough guide for anyone interested.
Am I right in thinking these are our basic requirements and rough BARE MINIMUM COSTS:

FIA approved suit, gloves and boots. Balaclava? £500 Clubman specs - what approval number?
Snell approved helmet (believe 2005 approved is ok until 2017)£150ish
ARDS test £250
MSA go racing pack £60

Car:
FIA approved seat and cage with harness and harness bar.
Plumbed in Fire extinguisher and electric cut off with marshall's exterior access points.

Have I missed something obvious?

182cup & 172 racecar
I would get a helmet with the Hanns device studs in. You never know when it going to be law to have one.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cam timing on standard marks or are you allowed to tweak mr h?
May as well let people tweak it as its going to cause all sorts of arguments otherwise as so many people have not quite right timing and don't even know it. Shame if someone got banned just cause previous owner timed it slightly wrong.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Any rules on boxes/diffs/final drive?

ph1 and ph2 are different so if its got to be standard can a ph1 have a ph2 box?
lsd allowed?

Ph2 172
Dan/Tony,

Quite interested at this stage (I'll be living in the UK from next weekend onwards.)

I've always wanted to have a go at racing and this cheap, simple formula will make that accessible to me. Thanks for taking the time to speak to organisers etc.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Hmm so just as I get the 5hed how I want it this comes along...

Very interested here as well, especially as car can potentially be driven there! Saves some costs (maybe not back)

172 Race Car
Tony as a rough guide for anyone interested.
Am I right in thinking these are our basic requirements and rough BARE MINIMUM COSTS:
Have I missed something obvious?
Edited

FIA approved suit, gloves and boots. Balaclava? £500 Clubman specs - what approval number?
Snell approved helmet (believe 2005 approved is ok until 2017)£150ish
Boots - £60
Balaclava - £15
Gloves - £40
(I spent £650 on my kit iirc)

ARDS test £250
MSA go racing pack £60
Licence application £56
Medical Free-£130 depends who does it

Car:
FIA approved seat and cage with harness and harness bar. (seat doesnt have to be FIA or in date, Harness does have to be in date)
Plumbed in Fire extinguisher and electric cut off with marshall's exterior access points. (clubman fire kit for abut £85, FIA Style cutoff about £20)

Cage doesn't need to be fia it only needs to be to msa std no certification needed.

I'm not even sure you need anything other than a suit and helmet to comply with the regs.

You wouldn't need a catch tank with std induction setup as the breather is fed into the engine and that is fine by the regs.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Ooow tony said no oil burners :( lol

Back on subject, after we'll all finish naggin like old granny's , who's going to bite the bullet and have a great laugh doing this?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thought it might be worth quoting these again in case anyone skipping pages has missed them.

I can't answer all the questions.

But Fred got it about right, as I discussed it with him late on Sat.

This will be tagged onto the French Trophy, as it will mean more cars on the grid. This will result in more chance of getting our own race.

Yes it will be standard suspension, with free choice of springs. (if you don't like it then tough, go do something else).

There will be no power to weight stuff (more costs involved, and it can be fiddled anyway), so if you are a fat chuffer, unlucky.

Camber bolts and shims will be allowed

Top mounts can be changed, and include a strutbrace.

Exhaust free

Standard calipers

discs and pads atm are free

Arb, not sure yet as they may be hard to get hold of

Standard ecu and working dash

15" wheels

Take out what you like, but no cutting of any bodywork.

There is loads more, but basically.

Buy a car
Remove as much crap as possible
Install fire and electrical switches
A set of new shocks and whatever springs (not custom)
Polybush if you want
No metal bushes, rose joints etc
Stick a cage in, no show cages and comply with blue book regs
Plastic windows is a no atm, again costs
You will need a 2ltr oil catch tank blue book rules anyway
And maybe batteries can be moved

But that's it. You could actually prep a car in a weekend and still keep the missus happy.

I know I'm going to get bombarded with some stupid questions as well as some sensible ones, so who's gong to try my pationce first.

This by no means set in stone, but the organiser seemed quite happy with what was put forward, and he want's CHEAP entry motorsport.

Engines will be checked as best we can, by somebody who's in the know
No turb's
No oil burners

Still trying to sort out 2 drivers.

Atm as the regs stand, whoever qualifies quickest has to do race one, the second driver starts from the back in race two.

This because race 2 grids are done on race 1 finishing positions.

Trying to try and get it so that 2nd driver fits into 2nd race grid wherever their quali time puts them. but then this will upset a few as well, so we'll see what the MSA have to say.

Of course you will need to have a ARDS test etc and all the kit.

Entry fee's will be about the same as now £300ish

All sounds good to me, I think you have covered what its realistic to cover :)

Just a quick question on engine specs, if I were to use the engine from our Black Ph2 its got supertechs in it, they are only a reliablity mod not a performance one, still on standard valve seats, is that permitted?
And what about camshafts? Its on 197 cams, is that ok as its still a standard clio camshaft or does it have to be swapped back to mk2 cams?

Good idea with regards to keeping glass and metal panels, another good way to keep the costs sensible.

Lotus Elise
Still trying to sort out 2 drivers.

Atm as the regs stand, whoever qualifies quickest has to do race one, the second driver starts from the back in race two.

This because race 2 grids are done on race 1 finishing positions.

Trying to try and get it so that 2nd driver fits into 2nd race grid wherever their quali time puts them. but then this will upset a few as well, so we'll see what the MSA have to say.

Of course you will need to have a ARDS test etc and all the kit.

Entry fee's will be about the same as now £300ish

In GT Cup both drivers must do a minimum of 3 laps in practice or quali, however the second grid position is determined by the fastest lap in race one. Might be worth considering? Allows for driver one to use the time to set a quick on then at the end driver two trundles round hope he gets all his laps in. That a 20minute session mind.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
In GT Cup both drivers must do a minimum of 3 laps in practice or quali, however the second grid position is determined by the fastest lap in race one. Might be worth considering? Allows for driver one to use the time to set a quick on then at the end driver two trundles round hope he gets all his laps in. That a 20minute session mind.

I know what you are saying Sam, it's just because Steve's already told MSA the format for this year, he's got to see if they will agree to change it for next year.

Anything is possible, it's just time and effort.

But whatever it ends up as, that's what it will be and that's it.

Tuff titty if you don't like it.

Lotus Elise
I know what you are saying Sam, it's just because Steve's already told MSA the format for this year, he's got to see if they will agree to change it for next year.

Anything is possible, it's just time and effort.

But whatever it ends up as, that's what it will be and that's it.

Tuff titty if you don't like it.

I understand, give us a shout if you need a hand with anything I move to the U.K net week.

182cup & 172 racecar
Meeting halfway. Might invite some others to chew the fat.

Got to get it sorted, so we can get the ball rolling early, not leave it until Jan/Feb