ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

WRX
they are on a par with Dunlops and R888s and bar in mind sachs are much better piece of kit than a 172 shock

Yeah I know, think we're on the same page on that but I'm reading from the opposite end.
I think having a decent tyre makes sense, rather than something that's just going to melt and surprise a few over eager novices.

Cup In bits
I haven't read all the posts yet, I like the initial plan but IMO you cant have a race series relying on standard shocks, there just not upto it. Good for a trackday or two but should never be considered to go racing, koni shocks or the likes at the very least.

There not exactly expensive in the grand scheme of racing when you consider entry, travel,consumbles fee's, safety gear, damage. You would be looking at around 7-10k to run a car for a season so the car will be the cheapest part almost certainly.

WRX
In reality, my cup shocks have done more track miles than probably all the racers' coilovers put together on here. Can't see how you can say they aren't up to it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I assume He means stop people spending by saying you have to swap cars if asked but thats retarded, if you want to cap spending then do like in some series do where if anyone offers a predetermined sum you have to sell.
Say 2.5k for example.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Ooh I want into this so badly. Be at the back but wouldn't care. Would be my dream! Please do it as cheap as possible, will make it 1% more doable for me! :(

Instead of power to weight etc how about a basic what can and can't be removed for a 172 and a 182 respectively. So they end up near on identical weights. A test 172 & 182 would be needed to weigh in then the regs can be set. After that as already mentioned, set engine spec. Done

I used to do grass track racing. My race was completly std 998cc mini. I bought my car ready to race for 400 quid. It was great fun and close racing. But there was always one or two cars that were implausibly fast.

In short it's a great idea I would have been up for it if my car was not already past the spec. People will cheat and will spend thousands blue printing or group n ing engines. But it will always happen that's life. Doesn't mean it won't be fun and cheap (relatively) for everyone else.

Have you looked at who would run it? Because there is a massive amount of admin plus you will get messers, they are everywhere not just cs. I've been involved in organising autosolos and stage rallies and it is a lot of work.

180.5 bhp 172
I've skipped from page 3 to the end, so not read the whole thread, but I would certainly be up for this on a budget of around £3k!

I've been looking for a way to get into Motorsport for a long time, but on a low-ish budget. Thought about track days with a hunk of cr@p car, but would much rather the thrill of actual racing...even though i'd be near the back!!

The only issue I would have with it, is my daily is a 172, so I have no way of towing a track car from Bristol, to said track...might be a possibility I can borrow a pick-up truck and trailer, but that's a very wary might, so that would be the only thing stopping me doing it.

From February 2014 though, count me in :)

WRX
Nick, I'd probably drive to the events in the car. Nothing stopping it being road legal still.

I think 1k is perhaps a little over the top, maybe about £700 per event. You've only got 3 x 15 minute sessions, so not even half a track day in reality. Entry is around £300 I think. I will stand corrected by a seasoned racer who obviously knows better. I'm obviously not included breakages/damage!

Would be a pretty cool series if something could come of it.

On the cage side of thing you could try get mark fish involved with the safety devices 6 point cages, I remember a local clio used to race in trackday trophy with the cage and it looks pretty decent.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
That is true, but then surely I, and others i'm sure, would struggle to insure a car on the road with all mods declared?

The policy I have with brentacre pretty much gives the green light to mod away, not sure ref the roll cage but don't think it would be an issue.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Nick, I'd probably drive to the events in the car. Nothing stopping it being road legal still.

I think 1k is perhaps a little over the top, maybe about £700 per event. You've only got 3 x 15 minute sessions, so not even half a track day in reality. Entry is around £300 I think. I will stand corrected by a seasoned racer who obviously knows better. I'm obviously not included breakages/damage!

I was trying to include everything though. Getting to the track, food & drink, entry fee, fuel for the car, tyre/brake wear etc.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Superb idea. People seem to be unnecessarily over complicating it though, lol.

WRX
Well if anybody's wondering who's genuinely interested in this.......
​It's probably the people that are trying to keep the cost to a minimum.

Lotus Elise
I'm hugely interested, like I said I've already been talking to 750 but their regs are just a little off from what will be a great series.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Do you not think a set of Pilot sport Cups with massively overwhelm the standard suspension and it will just understeer everywhere.

Apparently not Sam. Because race car out of the showroom iirc.

Clio 182 Race Car
I think that this is a great idea but please don’t underestimate the costs of entering and running in a series like this. Circuit costs are expensive so it is unlikely that entry fees will be able to be less than £200.00 for a 15 minute slot. There may be a couple of people who are willing to organise it all but ultimately it will become a full time job for somebody so a club membership and registration will have to be levied. This will have to be a few hundred quid a year, so add £40.00 per race. Then there’s fuel, then there’s getting there, that’s another £100.00, so you are into £340.00 per race. You can do the rest on any budget you want, but if you are going to build a car, buy the Kit, get your ARDS then you need to spend £3000 minimum, if you intend to do 6 races (and you will need to in order to make the series survive) then you are looking at a £4700.00 budget for the first year as a minimum. I am not being a killjoy but before everyone starts saying “whoo I’ll do it” have a think about the costs. After that worry about the people with double that to spare and then wonder how they will spend the spare cash!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think that this is a great idea but please don’t underestimate the costs of entering and running in a series like this. Circuit costs are expensive so it is unlikely that entry fees will be able to be less than £200.00 for a 15 minute slot. There may be a couple of people who are willing to organise it all but ultimately it will become a full time job for somebody so a club membership and registration will have to be levied. This will have to be a few hundred quid a year, so add £40.00 per race. Then there’s fuel, then there’s getting there, that’s another £100.00, so you are into £340.00 per race. You can do the rest on any budget you want, but if you are going to build a car, buy the Kit, get your ARDS then you need to spend £3000 minimum, if you intend to do 6 races (and you will need to in order to make the series survive) then you are looking at a £4700.00 budget for the first year as a minimum. I am not being a killjoy but before everyone starts saying “whoo I’ll do it” have a think about the costs. After that worry about the people with double that to spare and then wonder how they will spend the spare cash!

So my guesstimate of £1000 per meeting wasn't far off! (Average, Over the course of the year)