ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Assuming its for people on here? And it's in the aid of fun etc? I can't speak for everyone but I'd say as forums go this one is the best trusted.

Ive not read all of the thread but...

What about set power-weight ratios? Class c (standard, inc suspension bar springs) upto 180/tonne. Class B (lighly modified, cams etc, non dampening adjustable coilovers etc) upto 200/tonne, then class A no holes barred (boost/itb's/no limits to weight saving) All in the same race, allowing everyone to compete in any spec car in their own class. Allows people to use the cars they use for track days etc.

Lionel Richie
because that just over complicates it! Just keep it a bog standard car with a cage etc, done, no huge sums of money involved

Lionel Richie
car - £500-£3K

part of the rules is you HAVE to buy new shocks from Renault (£170 for all 4?)
ecu - must be stock, mapping do whatever as we all now it doesn't give you more than 3-5bhp peak
stock engine, but free exhaust/induction, stock intake must be retained, no manifold matching
springs - whatever, but must be available off the shelf - IE no custom stuff, so must be Eibach/cooksport etc marked
wheels - free
tyres - 1A or 1B no slicks

simple

Lotus Elise
car - £500-£3K

ecu - must be stock, mapping do whatever as we all now it doesn't give you more than 3-5bhp peak
stock engine, but free exhaust/induction, stock intake must be retained, no manifold matching
springs - whatever, but must be available off the shelf - IE no custom stuff, so must be Eibach/cooksport etc marked
wheels - free

simple

Do you not think a set of Pilot sport Cups with massively overwhelm the standard suspension and it will just understeer everywhere.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
car - £500-£3K

wheels - free

simple

Sounds like a good idea to me I'm sure plenty will be interested after a while and seeing others doing it.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Come to think of it, my mate just said about brakes?
Mainly brake fade

set of decent pads and better brake fluids permitted?

WRX
So in typical CS fashion, loads of people want to chuck endless amounts of cash at their car. :banghead:

WRX
In all seriousness, read some regs of any championship. They are far from simple.
Sam I totally get where you're coming from but this idea has come up, from the idea of keeping it as simple and therefore as cost effective as possible. The more simple it's kept, then the more pointless it is to splash the cash at it. We all know that 9 times out of then, the winner is the one with most cash.
We are toying with the idea of running in the same race as French Trophy but with a smaller initial setup cost.

Fiesta ST2
Would it not be easier to just dyno the top three of every race at the same time and if any one car stands out by say 5% then move people up the grid as required??

Lotus Elise
Sam I totally get where you're coming from but this idea has come up, from the idea of keeping it as simple and therefore as cost effective as possible. The more simple it's kept, then the more pointless it is to splash the cash at it. We all know that 9 times out of then, the winner is the one with most cash.
We are toying with the idea of running in the same race as French Trophy but with a smaller initial setup cost.

I understand that and the whole premise, if standard suspension is going to remain I'd strongly suggest sticking to a pure road tyre, something like list 1a proper. Track tyres, standard suspension and a 15 minutes competition race if not the best idea.

There is more to writing a set of regs than people think, balance of performance, wording, correct information etc.

Last edited:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I used to run Federal RSR's on completely stock suspension. That went pretty well.

I'd be a fan of premium road tyres tbh, at least if they get ruined it cheaper than ruining cut slick outer shoulders every session which will cost a fortune.

Only downside to this is in reality this class will be tragically slow in comparison to what's currently running in the French Track Attack, so you'll probably spend more time being a back marker and not actually racing, especially if it doubles the amount of cars on the grid currently.

SQ5
I don't think anyone has mentioned licences yet?

Would we not all need to have some kind of race licence to race? I'd imagine so for insurance purposes etc...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Would we not all need to have some kind of race licence to race? I'd imagine so for insurance purposes etc...

Of course you would. You'd also need a helmet and a suit.

I assume its not been mentioned because that's pretty basic stuff... ;-)

WRX

National B, helmet, suit, gloves and boots. Car + cage and necessary safety eqpt. about £2-3000 to get race ready as a rough figure depending on what we have to start with.

​I'm pretty sure they are list 1a.

RSRs are 1B, SS are 1A

Not necessarily. Standard suspension and 1b blehhhh pilot sport cups were the absolute limit for my Sachs

Rest my case lol. Doubt many would be on them.

Lotus Elise
they are on a par with Dunlops and R888s and bar in mind sachs are much better piece of kit than a 172 shock

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
T1R's! Castle Combe saloons used to run with them and at under 30 quid a tyre in 15s they're mega cheap.

Meh wtf do I know. If all this goes ahead and I like the rules I'll just do what I'm told.

Lotus Elise
T1R's! Castle Combe saloons used to run with them and at under 30 quid a tyre in 15s they're mega cheap.

Meh wtf do I know. If all this goes ahead and I like the rules I'll just do what I'm told.

this or Uniroyale rainsports. Fun Cup series runs them, saying that everyone shaves them down to 2mm lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ahh yes, I remember him saying they used to get shaved. Stops the tread moving about when they get hot iirc?