ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

350z to a Clio 172 or 182

172 + 350z
So I am going to be selling my 350z in the next month or so to make way for a new car. Only had it a few months but for me it really isn't practical and drinks fuel for fun. The plan is to go back to a clio again as I had a 182 before the 350z and it was a great all round car, will also free up a bit of money for other things. I am just not 100% sure what model to get and is there really that much difference between the two. I have read the differences on the buyers guide etc but would like some input. I plan on using it as a daily car but want to get into doing a couple of track days so might modify it slightly for that, however my understanding is that they are pretty good and still capable on the track as a standard car. Performance wise is there much between the 172 and 182, is it even noticeable? Any reason to select one over the other? Swaying towards a 172 at the moment but that is mainly due to the price.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
A great 182 is around 3k. If it were me I'd opt for a mint 172 cup, depends what you want the car for? The cup having a few less luxuries may not suit if your doing a few miles?

172 + 350z
Yer I do a few miles so don't think I could put up with a cup after the 350z luxury haha. Yer thinking a good 172, then have the left over budget for a few improvements. Is there really any noticeable difference performance wise between the 172 and 182?

172 + 350z
Just to add to that mpg wise is there any difference between the 172 and 182. I used to be able to get 40+ in my 182 if needed, is this possible in a 172?

Westfield, 182, 200
Slightly off topic, sorry, I looked at somw 350z's last year, but opted for a 200 cup in the end.
Are they worth the hype?

Slightly off topic, sorry, I looked at somw 350z's last year, but opted for a 200 cup in the end.
Are they worth the hype?

They arent that quick, they drink fuel and parts are £££. But they look great imo, they make a nice noise and females think your rich.

I sold mine very quickly and got another clio.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'd get a 172 like you say. Performance all things being equal (well looked after/healthy engine) then nope

172 + 350z
They arent that quick, they drink fuel and parts are £££. But they look great imo, they make a nice noise and females think your rich.

I sold mine very quickly and got another clio.

Exactly this! Fast in a straight line no doubt but for the roads round me a clio will beat it hands down.
Fuel and parts are very expensive, 20mpg all day everyday.
However the sound is great and look awesome, gets stupid amount of attention if that's your thing and people have no idea what it is and how much it cost.

Westfield, 182, 200
Thanks, been finding reasons not to get one, it's an itch i keep going to scratch, same as buying a hayabusa!

172 + 350z
I second that. I've had a 172 Cup as well as my current 182 FF and I wouldn't really enjoy my commute as much in the Cup.

I had a 182 ff and it was great, just it is getting towards the top of my budget really. Is there much between a 172 and 182, seem to have pretty similar stuff for the everyday commute.

Nimbus Clio 197
A FF 172 and FF 182 would be equally fine for an everyday commute really. The Cup having thinner window glass etc isn't quite as nice a place to be for motorway journeys. But you generally don't buy an RS Clio for tgat anyway I guess!

172 Cup
Get a mint 172 FF, there's nothing noticable between 182 FF in terms of performance don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

172 + 350z
Get a mint 172 FF, there's nothing noticable between 182 FF in terms of performance don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Thank you that was one of my main concerns. Think it will be a 172 and spend the left over dollar on making a few changes if needed.

FF Racing Blue 182
I'm sure i read a thread from you about selling the Clio because of fuel bills and then you've went out and bought a 350z

Priceless lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
It's what people do mate, we've all been there. Can't see him getting a sweet ly or rb for the top of his budget, maybe an inferno though. Stick to plan a IMO and get a mint 172 :)

172 + 350z
I'm sure i read a thread from you about selling the Clio because of fuel bills and then you've went out and bought a 350z

Priceless lol

You maybe did mate I can't remember. I had no real perspective on fuel and was seeing a bird that was a fair distance away. I was spending £80 a week or so in fuel in the clio so was looking at changing. Anyway got rid of her (not just for fuel bills ha), treated myself to a 350z had some fun and now want to return to a clio.

172 + 350z
It's what people do mate, we've all been there. Can't see him getting a sweet ly or rb for the top of his budget, maybe an inferno though. Stick to plan a IMO and get a mint 172 :)

Indeed I am, going to see a 172 today with 64k and full service history.
I agree with others on the colour front though.

172/182
I have had 2 350z and they are awesome.
Would easily buy one again.
Yes they drink fuel, but c'mon, its a 3.5 V6... what do you expect?!
Been Nurburgring twice in them, great drive there, comfortable, and when you aren't pushing it, the fuel consumption is fine! On the track it was great fun, excellent power delivery out of bends and in the straights.
Will probably take a 182 this year, so ill see how it compares. Not looking forward to 3.5krpm in 5th gear the whole motorway there......!

But yes, the 182/172 are more fun, easier to jump in and out of for a daily. Clutch isn't as heavy! (if you've driven one, you'll know!)
if only it went a little bit quicker....

I've got a 350z and although it's not the quickest thing in the world, it's a laugh to drive. The mini I used to have was quicker through bends but the z can just dip the back out and just makes you smile.

Over 10k I've averaged 22 mpg including a few track days and a short drive to work probably doesn't help.

IMO I couldn't go back to a Clio because even tho the guild quality isn't amazing, it's far better than my old Clio was. It's got no rattles and generally feels a nicer place to be.

I have had 2 350z and they are awesome.
Would easily buy one again.
Yes they drink fuel, but c'mon, its a 3.5 V6... what do you expect?!
Been Nurburgring twice in them, great drive there, comfortable, and when you aren't pushing it, the fuel consumption is fine! On the track it was great fun, excellent power delivery out of bends and in the straights.
Will probably take a 182 this year, so ill see how it compares. Not looking forward to 3.5krpm in 5th gear the whole motorway there......!

But yes, the 182/172 are more fun, easier to jump in and out of for a daily. Clutch isn't as heavy! (if you've driven one, you'll know!)
if only it went a little bit quicker....

3krpm is the magic number ;)

I will add that motorway miles in a cup is a bit loud (not sure if it's really down to thinner glass) and I'm always wishing for cruise so if I was to get another clio I'd make sure it had cruise.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
not sure if its been covered in here after your first question but when I had my clio 200 RR'd at 203bhp, it was on par with all my lightly modded 172s performance wise and my mates 350z would pull on me once we got into triple figures, his was an early one so I believe the lowest power output?

my mate used to do a 150 mile commute in his and he said it wasn't bad at all on fuel just taking it easy

172 + 350z
not sure if its been covered in here after your first question but when I had my clio 200 RR'd at 203bhp, it was on par with all my lightly modded 172s performance wise and my mates 350z would pull on me once we got into triple figures, his was an early one so I believe the lowest power output?

my mate used to do a 150 mile commute in his and he said it wasn't bad at all on fuel just taking it easy

Hi cheers for this, I did once manage to get 35mpg but that is long motorway miles and cruise control at 65-70. My commute is only 14 miles a day and on back roads so I am getting 20-22mpg in the 350. Like I say can't knock the car really but for the roads I am on it's not worth it.
Cheers for the comments, should be picking up a 172 tonight!

Westfield, 182, 200
I looked at 7 or 8 last year every one was covered in dents, badly resprayed tatty, but then i was looking to pay around £6k. I ended buying a 200 cup!

Just phoned after one 6 miles away-sold-forgot to remove the add!

My cup goes saturday and i don't know what to get-work is only 5 miles away.May need to start a new thread!

Ian.

172 + 350z
I don't think there is a single dent on mine. Only problem really is the alloys are starting to flake in a few small places. It's up for sale this week, will need to sort an advert out.