ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tough decisions

So after years of trying to find a nice 172 cup I made that dream happen... Only to end up needing ACL Revision and a few other jobs from an old injury. Not a huge problem but being self employed with no sick pay for 3-6 months wasn't great.
The operation was done on Friday and didnt go to plan and now I'll need a stage 2 operation in 6 months and another 3 months recovery. I know cars are just objects but I can see the first thing that make sense to.go is my little cup :( it's a unicorn on 28500 miles aswell.
Now do i start advertising now at a bad time to sell or wait to see if i can manage without selling but potentially having to shift quicker if needs be next year.
Third world problems and a lot of rambling but just after some ideas on what to do really.
20231119_075846~2.jpg

172 CUP / MG4 XPOWER
That's a lovely car mate, very few around in that condition. Not sure what A3 you have, no way of selling that or trading it in for something cheaper for the time being?

That's a lovely car mate, very few around in that condition. Not sure what A3 you have, no way of selling that or trading it in for something cheaper for the time being?
I have a cheap C1 for my everyday car which doesn't have any real value! I really don't want to sell it but obviously if I have to I will.. Just trying to figure out the best way of not giving it away if the time comes.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t think the person who buys that car will be worried about what time of year it is tbh.

It’ll be outside of most aspiring Clio 1*2 dreamers budgets anyway. Stick it on Collecting Cars or similar publications so you don’t have to put up with the noise, or at least limit it anyway.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and best of luck with your health.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Sorry to hear.

If someone got deep pockets and garage space and its as nice as you say would go at any time.

No harm now in trying for a higher price & if needs must you can always lower it later. (or keep if situation improves)

I don’t think the person who buys that car will be worried about what time of year it is tbh.

It’ll be outside of most aspiring Clio 1*2 dreamers budgets anyway. Stick it on Collecting Cars or similar publications so you don’t have to put up with the noise, or at least limit it anyway.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and best of luck with your health.
I guess that may be the case, I've never really sold a car that might appeal to a collector etc..

Sorry to hear.

If someone got deep pockets and garage space and its as nice as you say would go at any time.

No harm now in trying for a higher price & if needs must you can always lower it later. (or keep if situation improves)
I get what your saying there and that was my initial idea but if it sells and it turns out things changed and I didn't need to sell I'd actually be pretty gutted!
I guess that's a risk I'm going to have to weigh up

172 CUP / MG4 XPOWER
I don't really know where values of these are right now? I know what I paid back in June but the market has changed since then.
Find the right buyer and I would say the market doesn't matter so much for this type of car, I know I overpaid for mine but I wanted it, its not like there are lots of options.

Find the right buyer and I would say the market doesn't matter so much for this type of car, I know I overpaid for mine but I wanted it, its not like there are lots of options.
Yep I was the same! Hopefully I'm being over reactivate to the whole situation and I won't have to.
I have some savings to get me by but ultimately if it has to go I will look at getting it advertised.
From the comments above I maybe don't need to worry so much about the time of year I'd be selling which is a nicer thought 👍

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Another +1 for CC, they have real market reach for stuff like that and without being funny about it, that's still a cheap car compared to most of what they sell so you're dealing with people who might pick it up on a whim.

I'd hold onto it for now though if you can, you never know what life will turn up and they're not making any more of 'em (y)

Another +1 for CC, they have real market reach for stuff like that and without being funny about it, that's still a cheap car compared to most of what they sell so you're dealing with people who might pick it up on a whim.

I'd hold onto it for now though if you can, you never know what life will turn up and they're not making any more of 'em (y)
Yes pretty much everyone I speak to says Collecting Cars so that must stand for something!
I'm going to sit on it for now until I at least get some more information on the next 12 month's!

Reactions: Gus

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I get what your saying there and that was my initial idea but if it sells and it turns out things changed and I didn't need to sell I'd actually be pretty gutted!
I guess that's a risk I'm going to have to weigh up
Is another option to put it in storage?

If you like the car that much and it's clearly a coveted example - I'd be looking into keeping it, but off the road.

Is another option to put it in storage?

If you like the car that much and it's clearly a coveted example - I'd be looking into keeping it, but off the road.
It's more for money reasons really. Spoke with the wife last night and agreed I would see the surgeon next month about timelines of the next op/when I cam rturn to work etc before making any decisions.
Thr car is off the road and stored in my garage anyway.

Clio RS
At the end of the day it’s just a car - I’d sell it, get your leg sorted and get properly recovered. I think you mean First World problem by the way - I assume you have food, shelter and heating!? 😁

At the end of the day it’s just a car - I’d sell it, get your leg sorted and get properly recovered. I think you mean First World problem by the way - I assume you have food, shelter and heating!? 😁
🤣 thankyou for the correction! I'll put that down to all the medication!
Appreciate your opinion on it 👍 and yes I think you are right to an extent. I'm thinking about possibly moving it on and buying a cheaper higher mileage Clio so I still have something but not so much tied up in a garage ornament.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
🤣 thankyou for the correction! I'll put that down to all the medication!
Appreciate your opinion on it 👍 and yes I think you are right to an extent. I'm thinking about possibly moving it on and buying a cheaper higher mileage Clio so I still have something but not so much tied up in a garage ornament.

It is mad. We all chase the best example we can get. Then when we do we don't want to drive it, get it wet, dirty. park it in a Car Park. It ceases to fulfil what we got it for.

And forget its 'just' a Clio.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's the same with a lot of "modern classic" stuff TBH, if you get the best low mileage example that you can then you'd frankly be mad to destroy the one thing which makes it valuable/special by actually using the thing.

I've always felt that unless you're rolling the dice on keeping it as an investment (which is... brave..... unless you are willing to play a very long game) then it's much better to get something you can actually use. Unless it's a special enough car that doing a few hundred miles a year on the right days and the right roads is enough to make it worthwhile, then it's the best of both worlds.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Most of the time I have bought rare nice cars as I thought I may get them as depreciation slows or they start to appreciate slowly.

Meaning I get a nice car and main cost of motoring (depreciation) is minimised.

But now it seems anything that is on the cusp of turning just takes off so if you use it turns to loosing £5-6000 instead of £5-600.

Ultimately the decision will be based on how long I'm likely to have to live off my savings whether the clio stays or go's!
I don't think I'd ever find another with the same miles & cconditions it won't be a decision made lightly.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Ultimately the decision will be based on how long I'm likely to have to live off my savings whether the clio stays or go's!
I don't think I'd ever find another with the same miles & cconditions it won't be a decision made lightly.

Hope it goes well and heals quickly.

Looks to be a low miles 172 Cup coming up on Collecting Cars. No where as clean as yours underbonnet. Worth a watch to see what it makes.