ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 test drive last night :-(

Meg on pistonheads £6995
I really really wanted to love it (and thrash it) - it looked fab in the showroom....

Showroom - superb fit and finish - more BMW than Reno of old

First Impressions on driving off - nice starter button, smooth, quite, nice seats (standard)

In town - firm but superb damping, wicked brakes as salesman scrapes himself off windscreen!

Flexibility - Pulled 4th @ 30mph no trouble - great I thought - the best is yet to come!

joined Dual Carriageway - nailed it and waited for the 5K kick...rev limiter, 3rd ditto, 4th ditto - the saleman was completely unmoved by taking it to well over a ton, but sadly so was I - it felt nippy, even quite quick, but (even allowing for a a tight 1500 miler demo) barely a second slower that a standard Scooby WRX 2.0 to sixty?? - MY ARSE!

If I had to compare performance on pure feel, I'd say it felt more like a 206 GTi 137bhp or Xsara 167bhp VTS at best - more than adequate but far from blistering!

Handling - oh well performance not as good as hoped, maybe handling will give me a kick - 50mph around a flyover roundabout - v.v. easy with no fuss, could have taken 10-20mph more easy - so nothing to create that wigwam in the trousers there.

Grand Prix from Lights - 5K rip against a Cinquecento - I was well into 2nd before I could come across without cutting in! - I can do that in the dCi

Cruising? I tried to change up from 6th - 4000 revs @ 75! - it was noisier than the dCi - I checked website and it confirmed a ridiculous 18.9mph/1000rpm (182 is 22+ in 5th)

If the last one wasn't enough to spoil my day, the £ figures did. £300 pm loan, £180 extra on the rest:
fuel (60 to 31mpg), servicing (18k to 12K), tax (£50 - £190pa) and insurance (300-550)

When i got back in the dCi I realised that it IS as quick as a tight 197 (mid range since 170lb/ft and 980kg against 155lb/ft and 1250kg) and will cruise as well at 80 although with a lot more wind noise.

WHAT A SHAME,WHAT A SHAME WHAT A SHAME

I'm way way short of affording to run a 225 (or other turbo petrol) on these figures, so my shortlist is now purely blackstuff:

Ibiza FR PD 130
Meg 2.0 150 dCi
Civic 2.2 CDTi
Astra 1.9 CDTi 150

^^ all 180ish re-mapped.

I really am very :-(

screensavers to be deleted!

If they'd offer me a new RenoSport with a 175bhp 300lb/ft 2.0dCi geared for 30mph/1000 in top, I'd have one right now!

Meg on pistonheads £6995
^^ I did mean "as quick as 197 mid range/everyday driving"

I'm not that boastful about the D ;-)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Me too lol..

There are no cheap decent 2.0 Tdis... I guess I shall just have to wait for a good 120d M sport to come along... When I have some more funds..

Everytime I drive a small petrol these days I still think the Clio DCi is better, even 2.0s do my nut in sometimes.. I know it has more torque than a normal DCi anyway, but it's at 5k rpm... You can't just sit back and go, which is what I find I need after a long day at work these days...

My drive home atm is all country roads, and I'm in 4th for almost all of it... Overtake at 30-40mph, then fly along at 70-80... It just has better usability than say a 1.4 or 1.6..

Let's just hope renault put in the 'real' stack of cogs for the Cup, rather than the ones with a "slower than Meg 225" label on the box.

Me too lol..

There are no cheap decent 2.0 Tdis... I guess I shall just have to wait for a good 120d M sport to come along... When I have some more funds..

Everytime I drive a small petrol these days I still think the Clio DCi is better, even 2.0s do my nut in sometimes.. I know it has more torque than a normal DCi anyway, but it's at 5k rpm... You can't just sit back and go, which is what I find I need after a long day at work these days...

My drive home atm is all country roads, and I'm in 4th for almost all of it... Overtake at 30-40mph, then fly along at 70-80... It just has better usability than say a 1.4 or 1.6..

Seems fair, torquey felxible engines obviously suit your driving style better than thrashy urgent high reving units. Most people with cars like the 182 et al, bought them because they like a more frenetic driving experience. Personal choices really.

Meg on pistonheads £6995
frenetic, I love - a 182 is on my "cars-I-love" list

average (in anything), I don't do - the 197 felt average in the performance stakes

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
pre 4k revs you'd notice the lack of power against most petrol engines if you drive a deisel. after 5k revs though you should have felt the difference in pull.

sounds strange to me, when i drove one I said that it didn't feel as quick as a 182 but only just slower, probably 172 in FF form pace. hardly anything in it really. The size of it though is misleading, you can be going quicker and not feel like it.

Having said that it was on a track and i was caining it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Good review there m8. Tbh, even if you said it was great, I just couldn't put up with the looks. The 172 & 182s look purposeful, nippy and a fun car - and with something like the Williams before it, even more so.

Of the 197s I've seen about, they do absolutely nothing for me. It is a shame, and I think Reno have bodged up on this. Purely my own opinion, of course.

D.

Meg on pistonheads £6995
The size of it though is misleading, you can be going quicker and not feel like it.

^ ^ yep - that's why a good 1960's mini cooper is such a scream

197 - a very nice, very refined car with not-quite-enough-power-and-stupid-gearing!

I love the "continously variable valve timing" smoke screen in response to the lack of 5k kick idscussions. It's bollox because the valve timing has nothing to to with the 172/182 5k kick. I'm amazed that Renualt dare expect people to believe the spin. I even read an official renault mag quoting the 197 as having drilled discs. WTF? :D