ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182_steve's FF 182 progress thread!

Did you check to make sure it wasn't just the little cog on the side that had snapped/misshapen? Happens a lot and leaves it stuck on a setting. Simple fix with a cable tie, dont let renault mug you off.

I haven't mate no but they are just looking at it today so I can get a definitive answer as to what is going on and take it from there!

Got the car back, it's the worst scenario (that I kind of expected)........ needs the heater resistor for the speed AND a new heater box as it's shot for the heat.... Balls! The guy at the garage said they can do a quick fix *cough* bodge for the heat but I said no, especially as it appears the car has already had a 'short cut' done with this in the past which he discovered when he was digging around having a look for the issue. It clearly hasn't worked before so we both agreed no point whatsoever doing it again and I don't want short cuts done on this car anyway.

No charge for today which is cool so now I can have a look into what's best to do, I've already booked it in again for the resistor to be done next week as it's not a lot of money and will sort the speed, but holding fire on the heater box for now. I can handle the heat for a bit as long as I can turn the fooker down!! Can't have the car as it is right now.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Got the car back, it's the worst scenario (that I kind of expected)........ needs the heater resistor for the speed AND a new heater box as it's shot for the heat.... Balls! The guy at the garage said they can do a quick fix *cough* bodge for the heat but I said no, especially as it appears the car has already had a 'short cut' done with this in the past which he discovered when he was digging around having a look for the issue. It clearly hasn't worked before so we both agreed no point whatsoever doing it again and I don't want short cuts done on this car anyway.

No charge for today which is cool so now I can have a look into what's best to do, I've already booked it in again for the resistor to be done next week as it's not a lot of money and will sort the speed, but holding fire on the heater box for now. For Renault to do it, they'd have to order one in from France!! I can handle the heat for a bit as long as I can turn the fooker down!! Can't have the car as it is right now.
Is it not worth just checking to make sure that cog isn't fucked? It's a 5 minute job and they may have misdiagnosed.

EDITT* I see you can't turn it off. That's a pain. The cog is probably broken causing the heat issue though

Is it not worth just checking to make sure that cog isn't fucked? It's a 5 minute job and they may have misdiagnosed.

Yeah they've looked at that for me mate, that's the area of the issue but I think it's generally, f**ked! Didn't quite take in the full explanation tbh but know it's all been checked, we had a good chat about it away from Workshop manager ears lol! I trust the Renault Tech who is looking at it for me, he did a lot of private work on the car when the previous owner had it before me and knows these cars very well :up:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
It sounds like it's already had the cog bodge done on it for the hot/cold. Strange that the fan should go ape s**t at the same time it'll only blow but. I think it's your car punishing you for not using it more [emoji16].

It sounds like it's already had the cog bodge done on it for the hot/cold. Strange that the fan should go ape s**t at the same time it'll only blow but. I think it's your car punishing you for not using it more [emoji16].

Trouble is, you might have a point! 😂 but yes that's it, the cog bodge seems to have been done once already so not something I want doing again, I thought the same about both going, but that's typical me, don't do things by halfs 🙈 lol

Had a good run out this morning in the Clio with @T9 0LLE and @Harley-xi up the coast road so would have been rude not to get some photos!

Really was a lovely morning, so maybe summer isn't over just yet?

36574381384_c5ca7d37b7_b.jpg

More photos can be found here;

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/coast-road-clio-fun.812013/

Whilst out this morning and especially going down the countryside roads however, I kept noticing now and again a knocking from the front, so popped the bonnet and i'm guessing I need two new top mounts? The gap wasn't that big before last time I looked lol!

37254828112_80846244bb_b.jpg

36574380394_43f488367f_b.jpg

No biggie though, does anyone know if this is the set to get? One for each side I mean;

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk.../shock-absorber-top-mount-kit-172-182-twingo/

Do I need these as well?

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/parts/renault-clio-range/spacer-nut/

Been doing some research and standard top mounts is the way forward for me, so just put an order into Renault Parts Direct for 2x their top mount kit with the additional spacer nuts they recommend just incase I need them. Was almost tempted with solid mounts from Ktec BUT after reading some posts on here, it's not the way to go for my car. Don't want it too harsh :up:

The Clio was back in Renault today and got some good jobs done, top mounts have been replaced to cure the usual knocking (I supplied all parts with this, prices were good on Renault Parts Direct so they just fitted them for me). I was half tempted by solid top mounts and looked at the KTEC ones however after reading several posts on here about how hard they are and people generally preferring oem, this is what I stuck with and to be honest, I'm glad this is the direction I went with.

Have also had the heater resister replaced too so I now have full control over the blower speed again. Since taking the fuse out at the weekend and putting it back in again, it appears to not be blowing full heat now, just blowing normal air, which I can control the speed of again as above. Because of this, job done! Time will tell if I still need a heater box, especially as the car didn't go far today so could get hot air again, but I can live with the car as it is now :cool:

New top mounts ready to go on, with the additional recommended nuts too;

37374981311_b2b609805c_b.jpg

The worn out old ones that came off;

37374980951_3b27610631_b.jpg

New ones fitted..... needs cleaning, but another day. Happy it's sorted;

37374980831_0d3044d300_b.jpg

....... and my other new little touch for when the car gets worked on, thanks to @leeds2592 pointing them out :up:
Have bought one of the little 'bobble' removers so will be sorting the seats out soon hopefully. Not bad, but need doing to be perfect!

37374981201_b87d4cd6eb_b.jpg

Attachments

• 37374981201_b87d4cd6eb_b.jpg
    37374981201_b87d4cd6eb_b.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 37374980831_0d3044d300_b.jpg
    37374980831_0d3044d300_b.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 37374980951_3b27610631_b.jpg
    37374980951_3b27610631_b.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 37374981311_b2b609805c_b.jpg
    37374981311_b2b609805c_b.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 63
Replacement fog lights received in the post today, got them from the forum's facebook page which was a good spot by @T9 0LLE as I never look on there myself. Bargain at £25.00 posted as condition is really good and even had decent quality bulbs still fitted, although i'll be keeping the ones I already have. Be nice get the cracked one off the car, must have been a big stone to do that!!

36697268744_de8ff6edc5_b.jpg

37149248170_9dc78d4897_b.jpg

RB Clio 182
Replacement fog lights received in the post today, got them from the forum's facebook page which was a good spot by @T9 0LLE as I never look on there myself. Bargain at £25.00 posted as condition is really good and even had decent quality bulbs still fitted, although i'll be keeping the ones I already have. Be nice get the cracked one off the car, must have been a big stone to do that!!

View attachment 1337845
View attachment 1337846

One of mine was cracked too mate i had to change one last year.

They look in great condition.

RB Clio 182

View attachment 1337845
View attachment 1337846
Whats the condition of your old drivers side fog lamp mate? :D

@182_steve I'm only sourcing these parts for you so when you come sell it to me its got the bits i want on it already haha

😂 isn't one Clio enough?

Whats the condition of your old drivers side fog lamp mate? :smiley:

The other one is fine mate, no marks or cracks or issues, i'm only changing the pair as that's me, want them both done so they are both 'new' and match. Even though they are the same as on the car lol!

Great updates Steve :smile:

Good job on getting the heater sorted :smile:

Also liking that don't wash sign.

Thanks mate :up:

Really happy with some small jobs that have been completed on the Clio today!

Went round to see @T9 0LLE first thing this morning and got the replacement fog lights fitted to replace the cracked one pictured above. He's been a star with this, not only found them for me in the first place, but fitted them as well. Much appreciated mate! :up:

37432151450_b84e25fc5a_b.jpg

No more big crack in the glass!

37019320523_542c5253e3_b.jpg

Standard action shot! :smile:

37432151240_86076efa76_b.jpg

37432151250_4a868fee89_b.jpg

37019320423_087f4689f2_b.jpg

Then came home and thought it's about time I cracked on with de-bobbling the seats - I've always thought my seats were in good condition but was amazed how much fluff/bobbles came off them and needless to say, they now look great and very pleased for only 15 minutes work!

23836779708_014fe2ab1c_b.jpg

37432151030_38d345792d_b.jpg

37019320113_90f2ff1245_b.jpg

36979913084_919039a49f_b.jpg

Then last of all, got a spare forum URL sticker from Ollie this morning so thought I'd put it on as I like the blue and already have a silver one in the rear window;

37019319763_56b7f89c5c_b.jpg

37432150480_343ef16701_b.jpg

In other news, after thinking about it for a long time, the time has come to get the upper inlet manifold powder coated silver and freshen it up, also need to get the fuel rail guard done too to match of course. Thanks to @mossyv6 I have a spare manifold coming as for the cost, i'd rather just get another done and then swap them over (have bought the replacement gasket from RPD already) and have the fuel rail guard off and good to go too. As you can see, will look better for a splash of silver 😂

37019319963_3b182647d2_b.jpg

That's all for now!

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Great work Steve

And great job with the de-bobbler- small things can make a world of difference:)

I need a de-bobbler that looks great!! Who is going to do the powder coating on your inlet, someone local to you? @Darren61 yours looks great :up:

Thanks bud :up: Powder coating will be done at Aerocote, a local place here - usually very good and they did my Turini's at the end of last year! So therefore hoping for an exact colour match. The de-bobbler was like 2 quid from 'Tiger' but you can get them online. Get one bought :wink:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Thanks bud :up: Powder coating will be done at Aerocote, a local place here - usually very good and they did my Turini's at the end of last year! So therefore hoping for an exact colour match. The de-bobbler was like 2 quid from 'Tiger' but you can get them online. Get one bought :wink:

Will see if I can find one in Tiger next time I head in to Cambridge otherwise will get one on line :up: don't think my seats will last long term but can't hurt while they are still in the car. Just added new upper and lower inlet to the cup and thought about getting them done first but it is on the list of things to do, might get a few other bit's done all at the same time

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
No worries @182_steve glad to help, like I said this morning get the lead for the trickle charge sorted bring the car over again an I’ll sort all the battery cover, terminal cover an lead out for ya.
It may be worth sourcing a new new inlet gasket too aswell as the egg one just for peace of mind, that what I did when I swapped mine.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
De-bobbler was the best fiver I've spent. Doing the upper inlet and fuel rail cover is a good move too - it'll look ace.

Thanks for all the positive comments as always! :blush:

Nice work mate,clio is looking sweet!:up:

Why not give the manifold & guard ago yourself mate?,its not bad of a job & pretty satisfying.

Cheers mate, I've done a small bit of spraying before which looked ok but was only with a rattle can, I think i'd end up not doing a very good job on something this big however lol! It'll be worth paying a ££ to get it looking minty mint for this car :up:

No worries @182_steve glad to help, like I said this morning get the lead for the trickle charge sorted bring the car over again an I’ll sort all the battery cover, terminal cover an lead out for ya.
It may be worth sourcing a new new inlet gasket too aswell as the egg one just for peace of mind, that what I did when I swapped mine.

Good thinking, i'll sort out getting one of them. This one?

http://www.renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/parts/renault-clio-range/inlet-manifold-gasket-2/

...... might get these too just for the sake of 3 quid!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RenaultSp...281124?hash=item1a36f69be4:g:bREAAOSwXYtY1WAt

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks awesome as always steve. That flight surround bumper section in that pic is one of the cleanest I've seen!

Debobler is a great little cheap investment. People used to use Stanley blades but this is safer and easier.

Once the powercoating is done that bay will look great. You going bright silver?