ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your most "worthwhile" modification

172cup turbo & rx8
just bought the wife a 172cup as a winter runaround as she cant get up our street in her rx8! with the view to it being my track toy in the summer

i remember the when the rx8 needed new rear tyres recently and changing from bridgestone 040's to 050's completely transformed the handeling! all for the sake of an extra £15 or so,

got me thinking, what would you consider your most worthwhile modification?

S4 Avant
Modifications are over rated.

Getting alignment set up to my choice was nice. Very sharp turn in, steering feels very connected.

ph1 172
Changing from 16" turinis with worn pirelli p-zeros to 15" Oz F1's with new Yoko Paradas on totally transformed my car.

Paradas get mixed reviews but on a nice dry day there the best grip I've felt in 5 1/2 years of owning my cup.:approve:

Also changing the cruise liner original steering wheel for a small omp one.

GB 182 FF
Modifications are over rated.

Getting alignment set up to my choice was nice. Very sharp turn in, steering feels very connected.

Any chance of the alignment settings being publicised? :D

hmm 172 cup + wife + winter/snow = tears surely lol

S4 Avant
Had it set to 1.5 degrees of negative camber on the front, and 0.1 toe in I think, off the top of my head. Cambers non adjustable, and the rear can't be adjusted without shims.

Iceberg 172
I think all my mods (not loads) have all been very worth while.

Suspension has made a huge difference to the handling and look.

But I must admit, the one thing I take for granted is my 300mm momo team steering wheel. Makes such a difference to the feel of the steering. I used to find it overly light. It's now perfect.

I'm just about to change Tyres. Currently on Toyos but fancy a change as I agree on Tyres making a huge difference. You can have the best brakes, best suspension setup, best chassis and the most power... All useless with s**t Tyres.

172cup turbo & rx8
Changing from 16" turinis with worn pirelli p-zeros to 15" Oz F1's with new Yoko Paradas on totally transformed my car.

you still on 195 width? her cup is on piss poor cheap tyres and was considering 205's

ps noticed your from the boro, whereabouts?

Suzuki Jimny
Lol at getting a cup as a winter run-around!

My most worthwhile mod was getting a re-trimmed wheel :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Best value for money mod for me was the steering wheel.

My second 172 I fitted a 300mm Sparco jobbie and it was 100% improvement.

Other than that, I think the best 'mod' is to completely refresh the car. New bushes, engine mounts, big service etc. Get it running 100%.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
agree with dan best money i spent on my ph2 was brand new bottom arms, track rods, track rod ends, engine mounts, top mounts, dampers and driveshafts all in one go totally transformed it into a brand new car!

actual mod though on my last car was a 182 manifold what a difference and on my ph1 it was an RS Tuner map with launch control :)

lol @ a 172 cup as a winter runaround for cup killing season

260% JCW
From what you've said about your cup id be after some decent tyres.

Cup with no ABS + icy/shitty roads x 4? shite tyres = Dead Cup

172cup turbo & rx8
From what you've said about your cup id be after some decent tyres.

Cup with no ABS + icy/shitty roads x 4? shite tyres = Dead Cup

conti sport 2's on the rear but cheap tat on the front which will be getting replaced next weekend with either rainsports or bridgestone 050's havnt decided yet

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
ABS won't save you on ice. It'll just keep letting go until you hit a tree/ditch/bus if there's no friction.

Ditchfinder tyres need to go. Hancook V12 EVOs or something similar are good all round tyres, if you can find some !

Matched inlets were my best mod. Made the car much more drivable throughout the rev range. JMS did mine (Northampton) but someone might be closer to you .. or look out for some 2nd hand ones. Easy enough to swap over yourself if you know which way up a spanner goes ;)

Nissan 350z
Best value for money mod for me was the steering wheel.

My second 172 I fitted a 300mm Sparco jobbie and it was 100% improvement.

Other than that, I think the best 'mod' is to completely refresh the car. New bushes, engine mounts, big service etc. Get it running 100%.

Couldnt agree more with Dan. You spend all of your time in the car so makes sense to improve the space your in. For me, my best modification was the 197 steering wheel for my 172 to replace the 172s 9yr old, part melting steering wheel. Updated and cleaned up the car for me as far as i was concerned.

The next best modification was a full set of new tyres (Toyo T1Rs) and a 4 wheel alignment.

I regret fitting Eibach lowering springs in hindsight, sure it made the car handle alittle better and look nicer but the ride was alot harsher in comparison. Even my 200 Cup isnt as harsh as my 172 was on Eibachs.

Turbo LY R27
Id agree with daniel on the steering wheel front, makes it so much better. That coupled with coilovers would be the best imo.

172 ph-quick
whiteline arb for me so far, definetly worth the money. That said, ive not changed my steering wheel yet, just hope the missus catches on to the hints i keep dropping for xmas;)