ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres for wet / rainy trackdays??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do you? I have no idea about wet driving or wet tyres. This is all new ground for me :eek:

When you use your cars on a hot dry track, you end up with them at about 30psi or more due to the temp increase, when its a cold wet track you dont get that increase, so the sidewalls can move about a lot more as they rely on the air to assist them in taking the weight of the car.

Last edited:
I set my tyres to about 26 cold on track and constantly monitor them so they are just under 30psi when hot hot.

So keeping them around 33psi throughout the day will suffice?

Maybe this is why I spun at the ring then LOL. I had my 888s set to 25psi cold. School boy??

I don't know where to start with these R1Rs though :eek:

I'm thinking 33psi then when cold and keeping it around that throughout the day..

If anyone has any other suggestions fire away :cheers:

Cup In bits
Just monitor them, put them to 30psi to begin with so they have the stiffness to begin with then you will definitely have to take them down but by how much is determined by for how long and how you drive.

182cup & 172 racecar
33 too high, they will get warm even in the wet.
It all depends on loads etc, suspension and so on.

We had them steaming at Llandow and tbat was very wet.
Once you start to work them, the temps will rise rapidly. So beware.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ok cool. Will aim to keep them around 30 when hot then. Thanks

Try a few psi either side too and see what you think feels best. You probably dont drive as hard as tony, so probably dont have the same optimum figures that he does.

Renault Clio 172 cup
My 2 turned up a day after I ordered, bargain.
As for the pressures, in the wet I always start off at road temperatures, do about 7-8 laps come in ,adjust down , another 7-8 laps, adjust again, usually settling about 33-35psi on front and 30ish on back.

Just another mite to add re .tyres,I have been using (dont laugh) Nankang NS2R comp compound (120 tread rate ) on my rears the last couple of trackdays ( Brands +Donington Nat ) and am very impressed with them ( for the back at least, will be trying them on front next time out ). Only £65 from a couple of places in 195/50/15 and considering I am used to 888's mostly , for the money they are very capable. Plenty of grip , progressive breakaway, didnt seem to lock up under braking. A decent cheaper option I would say, much better than the Ad08's I used to use before I became a bit of a 888 snob.

Glad this thread as popped up, been looking on line for wets all week, was going to pull the trigger on some Advan A006G/C, but realised they were not on the MSA TYRE list A/B.

I was then looking at the Yokos Parada Spec 2's http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/trackday/wheels-tyres-accessories/yokohama-parada-spec-2-tyre but realise they offer the same wet grip efficiency as the R1Rs. I think I will pull the trigger on the R1Rs as they seem to be popular on here...they have to be better than my T1Rs that I currently run as a wet weather track tyre :/

WRX
Spec 2s are supposed to be awful in the wet, from what I've heard Sonny. So I think you're making the right move.