ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What tyres for wet / rainy trackdays??

I run R888s when dry and have only had a chance to use them in very very slightly damp conditions once.

But on my second set of wheels I want a tyre which I can rely on in wet/rain.

I know R888s work in the wet too but wasn't sure how much I could push them this weekend at the 'Ring and seemed to be slipping a fair bit. They are reasonably worn now though so probably getting past their best?

So am I better going for some top spec Michelin road tyres for my second set? Which will work in the pissing rain and the damp/wet.

Or am I better off going for something like these Rainsports which everyone goes on about. Simply for the rain and using the R888s for the damp/wet?

I'm thinking more towards good Michelin tyres. No idea what yet though.

Any thoughts or advice?

Car is purely a track day car and won't be used on the road often if at all.

Also. On my current standard 16" road wheels I have some Michelin tyres. Two with a nail in which I found out this weekend unfortunately. Is it safe to get a repair on these? Just to make use of the standard road wheels for a little bit longer whilst the car is still being worked upon. Don't really want to go out and buy a new set of road tyres on these wheels when I will barely use them.

I have a trailer now, so I just want one set of wheels for dry and one set to cope with the wet and rain.

Thanks

Cup In bits
Michelin race wets if its just a track car, you won't get better and they won't cost a fortune part worn either.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rainsports are good but fall apart if it dries out and you carry on using them, same for full wets.

For that reason I use RSR.

Cup In bits
At a trackday/club level wets would stand up alright for a drying session I would say, they take half a race at an national/international level to go off.

There is a lot to be said for the RS-R's and that type of tyre which are just a great all rounder but it will only do both to a mediocre level, if you are going to get two sets then get ones that will do dry or wet at a good level.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
At a trackday/club level wets would stand up alright for a drying session I would say, they take half a race at an national/international level to go off.

There is a lot to be said for the RS-R's and that type of tyre which is just a great all rounder but it will only do both to a mediocre level, if you are going to get two sets then get ones that will do dry or wet at a good level.

I had a nearly new set of michelin race wets on when I went out at combe, and it was under 10 mins for the session, and the pass front was absolutely wrecked after.

They fall apart if used hard in the dry, I was swerving around trying to hit the puddles just to cool them and they still fell to bits.

Cup In bits
I had a nearly new set of michelin race wets on when I went out at combe, and it was under 10 mins for the session, and the pass front was absolutely wrecked after.

They fall apart if used hard in the dry, I was swerving around trying to hit the puddles just to cool them and they still fell to bits.

Of course but they're a wet tyre, you just take it easy on whatever tyre you have on in an intermediate situation and enjoy the more focused tyre when conditions are right?

RSR as in federal RSR semi slick tyres?

I thought they were just a lower entry level semi slick to R888?

I'm not out to set lap times I just want something that's really good in the rain and the wet. Wasn't confident to push my 888s at the ring this weekend because they seemed to be sliding a fair amount.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Of course but they're a wet tyre, you just take it easy on whatever tyre you have on in an intermediate situation and enjoy the more focused tyre when conditions are right?

When im on track, I drive hard, I cant see the point in paying to go out and drive steady.

So I normally make sure I have a tyre under me that allows me to do so, this was a rare occasion though where it was soaking wet when I joined the queue, then someone crashed and I was stuck in queue for an hour or so and the sun came out and changed the track conditions from what I was tyre'd for.

Thats why I love the RSR, if it dries out, they still cope very well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
RSR as in federal RSR semi slick tyres?

Yes I find them good in the wet and good in the dry, ideal all round tyre, not as good in the wet as a full wet, and not as good as a 888 in the dry but will allow you to push on hard in both circumstances without being unpredicatable or falling apart.

Cup In bits
When im on track, I drive hard, I cant see the point in paying to go out and drive steady.

So I normally make sure I have a tyre under me that allows me to do so, this was a rare occasion though where it was soaking wet when I joined the queue, then someone crashed and I was stuck in queue for an hour or so and the sun came out and changed the track conditions from what I was tyre'd for.

Thats why I love the RSR, if it dries out, they still cope very well.

And me also, that's very rare circumstances you had there but I do agree that I love the RS-R's although when part worn with the lightest of standing water it becomes a bum clencher.

The OP states he has 888's which are a tyre that can be driven from bone dry (although they go off after a few keen laps) to pretty wet conditions with heat in them hence my suggestion for a good wet tyre when he already has an almost all rounder as such.

Yes I find them good in the wet and good in the dry, ideal all round tyre, not as good in the wet as a full wet, and not as good as a 888 in the dry but will allow you to push on hard in both circumstances without being unpredicatable or falling apart.

Interesting thanks.

But from your experience they are better than 888s in the wet/rain?

And me also, that's very rare circumstances you had there but I do agree that I love the RS-R's although when part worn with the lightest of standing water it becomes a bum clencher.

The OP states he has 888's which are a tyre that can be driven from bone dry (although they go off after a few keen laps) to pretty wet conditions with heat in them hence my suggestion for a good wet tyre when he already has an almost all rounder as such.

Yeah I think the r888 and rsr combination might be too much of an overlap.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Yeah 888 so long as they have a decent amount of tread on them are ok.

It was when we used 888 I used either rainsport or michelin wets, as I would always use the 888 as an "inter" but not that I have MPSC instead of the 888 I need something else that would do from wet to fairly dry so went with the RSR.

I do have a set of michelin wets though just in case I go to a day where it looks like being utterly torrential all day, in which case I will drive there on RSR and use the wets, and if it then dries out I can swap back to the RSR.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Interesting thanks.

But from your experience they are better than 888s in the wet/rain?

They have more tread depth new I think. (IIRC its 6.5mm versus 5mm)
And they wear more slowly.

So with 888, after a small amount of use you are at 3mm, same amount of use on the RSR and you are still at 5mm.

Thats where they are better IME

Agreed, but if you want to run the 888s low, you will need to have 2 sets so one is always good for the wet!

Yeah I think that's my issue here. Running the current set too low.

I guess it's only a short time frame though from when they are at this point to when they become unusable?

This is my first set of R888s ever so treading on new ground here.

182cup & 172 racecar
Tire_Reflections_PXR1R.png Used them at Llandow in the pissy wet day we had there, couldn't believe how much grip they had.

As soon as it dry's though, you will chew them to bits, but you are asking for a wet tyre. Tbh a good set of 888's are fairly good in the wet, surprisingly so, but these take it to another level.

WRX
What are they mate?

For pissing down rain and for wet?
Yep, totally agree with Tony. Threw it down at Mallory a couple of months back and I was the only one on track. You can to a certain extent use them in the dry but they get hot very quickly. I use them as my road/wet tyre. They're rumoured to be the same compound as 888s but I think they're a lot softer TBH. I'm sure the tread blocks come into it obviously but I think it's just that they're both Toyo, that that rumour started.

Swift Sport
For some reason my RS-R's were shockingly poor after a downpour at Bedford, but then at Oulton last Friday they were really good on a wet track. Must be something to do with the road surface.

Swift Sport

Just read this which would help explain why I've experienced varying levels of grip... At Bedford it literally tipped it down on a flat track leaving lots of standing water, where at Oulton it's not particularly flat anywhere and the rain had stopped several hours before.

View attachment 104199 Used them at Llandow in the pissy wet day we had there, couldn't believe how much grip they had.

As soon as it dry's though, you will chew them to bits, but you are asking for a wet tyre. Tbh a good set of 888's are fairly good in the wet, surprisingly so, but these take it to another level.

Yep, totally agree with Tony. Threw it down at Mallory a couple of months back and I was the only one on track. You can to a certain extent use them in the dry but they get hot very quickly. I use them as my road/wet tyre. They're rumoured to be the same compound as 888s but I think they're a lot softer TBH. I'm sure the tread blocks come into it obviously but I think it's just that they're both Toyo, that that rumour started.

When you say dry, do you mean when it stops raining or actually dry?

I wouldn't use them in the damp or dry because obviously have 888s for that.

So as you say using these in the pissing rain they're awesome but what about when it stops raining and the track is still wet and slippery? Or is that what you mean when you say you'd kill them?

Looks like this could be the one to try out then maybe. Still need to consider top spec Michelin road tyres too though.

182cup & 172 racecar
When you say dry, do you mean when it stops raining or actually dry?

I wouldn't use them in the damp or dry because obviously have 888s for that.

So as you say using these in the pissing rain they're awesome but what about when it stops raining and the track is still wet and slippery? Or is that what you mean when you say you'd kill them?

Looks like this could be the one to try out then maybe. Still need to consider top spec Michelin road tyres too though.

As long as there is water on the circuit, they are fine.

I took them out at Rockingham testing when it was a little greasy, but not wet, 5 laps and they were starting to melt.

Nature of the beast really, good tread blocks for moving water, in the dry tread blocks move about and over heat. You choose.

And they are cheap.

dci clio track toy..
Well I read what you said and thought ..... if its good enough for mr tony hunter.im sure they will be more than capable for me ... I think I got them for 70 a tyre I shall look at invoice

182cup & 172 racecar
Better, we used to run Pe2's for a wet tyre, but these are much better, as a wet tyre. Compound is much softer.

Awesome thanks Tony.

Set of 888s for the dry and damp then a set of these for the wet and rain should do me then.

Apart fromwhen the 888s start to get towards the end of their cycle. But that's life.

Renault Clio 172 cup
+1 for toyo R1R as a wet tyre. Fine in the dry as well as long as your sessions arnt stupidly long. Did a day at Donington National with them and they didnt cook up.

888's are great if already warmed up and then it starts to rain, but a bugger if a little low on tread and raining from the start. If you can get hold of some of the SG compound ( softest ) they are superb in wet conditions, actually had steam pouring off of the fronts in very cold and wet conditions at Cadwell last year.

IMO AD08's are awful in the rain ,on road or track.