ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warm hatch options? And what to do.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What are your opinions on the Clio 1.6 16v. I'm considering one.

I don't see why you buy one of them over the likes of a ZS and the other warm hatches.

Even more so If you already have a 1.2 or similar.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I had a swift sport for a few years. Its a good quick hatch. Alot better than the fezza zs, twingo and panda. Ive driven em all.
The swift has a sweet gear box tho really needs a 6th, lovely razzy engine. Biggest let down is ride and 9k servicing.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Get a MK5 Zetec-S instead, you can have a drive of mine if you like at the next meet. Best decision I ever made.
I do really like them, and for the same sort of price the ZS is a much better car I suppose. I need to have a proper look at one .

Yh that would be ideal mate. Is it a big step up from your clio then? :)
I don't see why you buy one of them over the likes of a ZS and the other warm hatches.

Even more so If you already have a 1.2 or similar.
I no what you mean, I've only just started looking to be honest.

Did you have one gally?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I do really like them, and for the same sort of price the ZS is a much better car I suppose. I need to have a proper look at one .

I no what you mean, I've only just started looking to be honest.

Did you have one gally?

I had my Brother's for 3 months, my ass was never out it.
He's had his for 6 years now. 02 plate. Now on 140k mechanically superb as he's a Ford master technician.

He just doesn't see the point in changing really. Owes him nothing.

My oldest brother had his for 4 years from new X reg.

Both Imperial Blue both immense cars for the money.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I had my Brother's for 3 months, my ass was never out it.
He's had his for 6 years now. 02 plate. Now on 140k mechanically superb as he's a Ford master technician.

He just doesn't see the point in changing really. Owes him nothing.

My oldest brother had his for 4 years from new X reg.

Both Imperial Blue both immense cars for the money.
Wow. They've been in the family quite a bit then!

I've liked them for a while now, and I've only heard of positive things.

I'm going to sign up to ZSOC later on and have a gander :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

It feels like a massive step, I'm sure once I get used to the extra power it will just feel normal I suppose, it handles amazingly though. Love the bloody little thing.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
How about .......... a Puma 1.7 - a 5* car?

They both have their plus points, Puma heated windscreen, air con et all but these days i'd probably go for a ZS with mods.

Wow. They've been in the family quite a bit then!

I've liked them for a while now, and I've only heard of positive things.

I'm going to sign up to ZSOC later on and have a gander :)

Yeah we have a Ford family. :eek: My Dad was also a master tech for around 20 years before moving on to management ect.. we've always had Ford's except me, i've had micras, polos, clio, and then about 5 Fords.

Definitely research away, they are simply yet brilliant cars.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I agree that the Gti/VTS is the cheap end of the hot-hatch market which justifies itself better, they can and do go as well as most Civics/Clios.

I like the ZS, I've never had chance to thrash one but I'd imagine they're a neat package.

I'm considering a Swift Sport as my next car, stripped out with coilovers of course. Can't image I'd do too badly in it, and it'd be cheap to own!

Do it! Would love to see what the swift would be like with some decent coilies on!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
1.6 16v clios are good but no warm hatch, hot hatch fuel consumption though. my mrs still has one, i had a standard dci100 at the time and it was pretty much on par performance wise, but doing 60mpg compaired to 34mpg, once remapped mine destroyed it while doing the same 60mpg!

Mk1 Focus RS
If i was in your position i'd definatly consider the mk 5 ZS. if just upgraded to a 182 after owning a ZS for 2 and a half years. very fun car to drive, handle well and a decent amount of power. the only downside i can say about them is the rust, i couldn't get rid of it but apart from that great car!

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Right then after looking around a little, I'm 99% sure that I've narrowed it down to a ZS or a 106gti/Rallye. It's just a case of finding one in good condition and for the right price.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
My old swift and my old cup. (i had photobucket open).

SNC00159.jpg

Merc A210?
Mazda 2?
Audi A2 FSI?

There's 2 A2s in my household and a friend of mine also has the FSI.
Very very nice but not sporty at all. Some high spec ones about and the interior makes most things suggested in this thread feel/look sh*t. Have a fair amount of body roll due to them being under damped and having a taller profile. Zero feel through the steering or clutch or brakes (it is an audi). fairly quick though - 9.6 0-60 and 126mph top speed. But not what you want if you want something to hoon around in.

Yeah the ones with the genuine audi body kit look very nice. My friends FSI averages 32mpg not that good but the 2 in my house are the diesels which get 60mpg and are £30 to tax - but the insurance on these is relatively expensive. For an old person they're twice as expensive as a corsa/clio/fiesta etc
Plus point is they age very well - they're aluminium so no rusty panels and the chassis is an aluminium audi space frame (so they're also lighter than cars of similar size)

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
Not just saying this because I own one, but what about a Mk3 with the 1.2 TCE turbo in it? 100bhp and the same Nm of torque as a 1.6 Golf... it's surprisingly quick, especially for only a 1.2 aswell. I upgraded to it from a 1.2 dynamique mk2 aswell and I love it. I test drove a mk6.5 ZS and my Clio felt a lot nippier than it.

Only problem is the slightly bland looks but nothing some lowering can't sort

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Not just saying this because I own one, but what about a Mk3 with the 1.2 TCE turbo in it? 100bhp and the same Nm of torque as a 1.6 Golf... it's surprisingly quick, especially for only a 1.2 aswell. I upgraded to it from a 1.2 dynamique mk2 aswell and I love it. I test drove a mk6.5 ZS and my Clio felt a lot nippier than it.

Don't think you can call that a warm hatch mate. If you drive anything with a decent bit of power you will realise it isn't quick.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

not really a warm hatch, more a not quite frozen but definately cold hatch!!

260% JCW

I guarantee the Fiesta handles better.

Swift Sport
People keep talking about horsepower but a small hatch doesn't always need it. As far as I'm concerned the key to a great warm hatch is the handling and sensation of 'fun' when driving it. I've mentioned my Ignis several times already I know but it was incredibly quick on track, especially for a 110bhp car.

It's not how much power a car has, it's what it does with it!

(I agree that a 1.2 turbo Clio sounds like a lame proposition.)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
People keep talking about horsepower but a small hatch doesn't always need it. As far as I'm concerned the key to a great warm hatch is the handling and sensation of 'fun' when driving it. I've mentioned my Ignis several times already I know but it was incredibly quick on track, especially for a 110bhp car.

It's not how much power a car has, it's what it does with it!

(I agree that a 1.2 turbo Clio sounds like a lame proposition.)

Ah people like Ste are the reason I still come on CS.

I forget there is some sense on here at times.

<3