ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warm hatch options? And what to do.

120d M Sport
The 106Gti and Saxo are great for the KFC to Maccies race, but for everything else they're pretty pisch IMHO.

I disagree Ste; certainly have their flaws but they're cheap to run, cheap to insure (given the performance), deliver the thrills on B-road blasts and can be made into a decent track car for not a lot of money.

For me, if you want a decent warm hatch that does everything well and is cheap to run I'd be after a MK6 Zetec-S.

If you can justify the extra cash to buy and insure a Swift though, I'd go for that, would like to own one at some stage!

Last edited:
  Swift Sport
I disagree Ste; certainly have their flaws but they're cheap to run, cheap to insure (given the performance), deliver the thrills on B-road blasts and can be made into a decent track car for not a lot of money.

For me though if you want a decent warm hatch that does everything well and is cheap to run I'd be after a MK6 Zetec-S.

If you can justify the extra cash for a Swift though, I'd go for that, would like to own one at some stage!

The 106/VTS is just quicker though isn't it? As a car I've never got on with them, always seem ready to fall apart. Personally there just seems to be much better on the market, although I'll admit that you can pick a decent Gti up cheap.

120d M Sport
They are properly flimsy but then they're a sub 2k, 10+ year old french hatch. Cheap and easy to repair though.

The GTI/VTS is considerably quicker than the ZS I think, I'd personally say they are a hot hatch rather than a warm hatch

The ZS is a much better choice if you're after a cheap to run well built warm hatch. Being fairly new the MK6 shouldn't need too much spending on it, unlike the older french stuff. They are lacking a bit of go but there's just enough power there to have fun.

Do like those swift sports though!

Swift Sport
I agree that the Gti/VTS is the cheap end of the hot-hatch market which justifies itself better, they can and do go as well as most Civics/Clios.

I like the ZS, I've never had chance to thrash one but I'd imagine they're a neat package.

I'm considering a Swift Sport as my next car, stripped out with coilovers of course. Can't image I'd do too badly in it, and it'd be cheap to own!

Swift Sport
My only gripe with the Ignis was the ride and the seats... In standard form the ride was acceptable, but lets face it you'll want springs or coilovers to keep the illegal immigrants from out of the wheelarches. Mine was on coilovers and the ride was horrible, you could run over a coin and know if it was heads or tails. The seats look cool and retro, but they aren't particularly comfortable.

So for that reason, I'd go for the Swift.

Meg 300Cup
Got a quote on a roadster, 1700, isn't it like a 700cc? lol maybe i chose some stupid special edition or summin

Gti is an awesome car but i couldn't put up with it if its gonna break every 5 mins tho same with the saxo, saxo is better looking imo

Listerine & Poledo
See, I wouldn't mind having some arch clearance, or suspension travel for that matter.

Might not be baller in a car-park, but far better across fenland back-roads!

Swift Sport
See, I wouldn't mind having some arch clearance, or suspension travel for that matter.

Might not be baller in a car-park, but far better across fenland back-roads!

If it's not an issue, you'll love it. The bodyroll is laughable but she'll keep on grippin'!

Listerine & Poledo
Got a quote on a roadster, 1700, isn't it like a 700cc? lol maybe i chose some stupid special edition or summin

Yep, 660cc Turbo.

They are a good sight more special than any of the hot hatches listed so far, so in that sense, yes you did.

You wouldn't be racing anyone in one, but they are decent on running costs

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
To me the swift looks like a postman pat mobile, disabled chariots.

Are you for f*cking real? What a retarded thing to say. You are by far and away the biggest muppet on this forum. Total and utter helmet.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
If you do buy a ZS, don't turn into Jordi.

Decent cars, but it seems like if you own one there is no better car on earth.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lupos are gash, my sisters 1.4 16v 100hp has cost about 2 grand in the last 2 years. its an 53 plate one lady owner before us, 30k full VWSH, id never ever ever own one, i got it for her because i wanted something reliable for her, what a joke that turned into.

remapped dci 100

1 bad car doesn't mean they're all gash tho. In general I bet they fair well compared to a few of the other suggestions.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
1 bad car doesn't mean they're all gash tho. In general I bet they fair well compared to a few of the other suggestions.

every owners club i searched for the issues it was having was riddled with cars doing the same and most garages diagnosed it without even plugging it in they were that common! we still own it its an imaculate heap.