ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warm hatch options? And what to do.

Meg 300Cup
Right now ive still got my Clio 1.2 Dynamique and just renewed my insurance for 853 fully comp on my own policy (down from 2200 last year) and because of this quote i started looking around at other cars again, If i could have any car it would still be the Clio 182 but last month my quote was 1600, which i would have paid, and today its 2300 so they change so much its unreal, but decided its really not worth that much for a years driving, and i dont want to front my policy with my parents because i want NCB for future cars

Been looking at a few cars but wanted to know what you all think, looking at upto 5k depending on the car

Twingo 133 (will be alot more than 5k), C2 VTS (1040 to insure and dirt cheap to buy decent condition), 2005 Clio 1.6 (not too quick), MG ZR, Mini, CIVIC 1.8 EX, And the old saxo/gti

Im only 18 so if its over old group 11 it starts to get pricey, but still want something reasonably hot and be able to squeeze golf clubs in :) so what do you all think?

Cheers

182 Ly ff.
Stay in the 1.2 and save for something nice in a year or two! No need to rush for a car only to want something else 2 months down the line.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
106 gti all day long. I'd rather walk than drive the alternatives tbh. Most small cars especially the C2 and yaris look like something a disabled person would drive

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
Not that bad imo...

i15272.jpg

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I would save my cash and get a 172 in a couple of years

Actually that is what i did

Meg 300Cup
Surely there are more important reasons to not front than ncb?

And its illegal ;P 6 points, ban...

Was looking at the C2 GT aswell but it was peanuts difference on insurance iirc so was swaying more to the VTS

I really do fancy a 106 and if its interior wasnt so s**t i would be buying one right now, still considering it atm

The TSport Yaris does look pretty nice but i just know its a car that my mates would take the piss out of, decent car though

and not really a massive fan of the ignis or panda

Think i need some quotes on a GTi :p

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
How much more is something like a 172 to insure, really?

Buying something you don't want because you think what you do want will cost too much to insure is a little counter-productive. I mean, say you compromise now and then change again in a year, all to save what? £500 on insurance? This £500 could be blown keeping the compromise on the road for a year and quite easily need to be spent again when you change again in such a short space of time.

I made the same mistake when I first started driving, and it cost me nothing short of a fortune - certainly more than the additional insurance premium I'd have paid if I'd just bought what I wanted in the first place.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm pretty impressed with how well my better halfs 1.2TCe goes tbh... bargain at £6700 to for a '10 plate. The '172 is getting on a bit now so why not get a '197 instead... far nicer car to be inside IMO and are coming for good money these days.

Mick

2014 Clio 200t edc
Test drive a panda 100hp! Trust me they are fun to drive, cheap to run and insure!! Nippy too!!

260% JCW
Mk5/6 Fiesta Zs cheap to insure, fiarly zippy and handles like a go kart. Just have to over look the deck chairs up front.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you're paying 850 for to insure a 1.2 then it's going to be well over 1k for anything half quick. Still if you must change, I'd recommend a 2001< MR2. 140hp so not exactly fast but it would rinse a 1.2. Plus it's mid engine, RWD with a LSD.

260% JCW
If you're paying 850 for to insure a 1.2 then it's going to be well over 1k for anything half quick. Still if you must change, I'd recommend a 2001< MR2. 140hp so not exactly fast but it would rinse a 1.2. Plus it's mid engine, RWD with a LSD.

2 good friends upgraded to these from lesser vehicles, neither saw out the year. Both ended up backwards in ditches lol.

If you're going for a C2 go for the VTS mate. Thats what i did because it's manual and actually has all black seats. Not sure if you'll get golf clubs in the boot though...

320d
I'd be looking for a Panda 100HP. Can get a low mileage 2007ish one for like £4000, they're supposed to be a great drive, plenty of kit, enough room for golf clubs.

Looks are Marmite but I think they're quirky.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Panda 100hp, C2 Vts, Suzuki Swift Sport, Suzuki Ignis sport...

What about a Fiesta ST? They were purposely limited to 150bhp so the insurance was cheaper for young people (which is why they respond so well to mods) Tbh, that would be my preference.

Meg 300Cup
Got a few new quotes

Fiesta Zetec S £913
Fiesta ST £1600
Clio DCi 100 £900
106 GTI £1550 (gone up again)
Yaris T Sport £890
MG ZR 120 £1300
Civic EX i-Vtec £1200
Clio 197 £2400 lol
Renaultsport DCi Megane £1800

So theres a few just to show you how the groups affect the price change

172 Cup
As a money saving option from that list i would go for a Fiesta ZS, still a hoot to drive and should be fairly cheap to run.

What about a saxo VTR? you can pick them up for buttons now, very cheap to run, great little things to drive and plenty of parts available. Or if your willing to splash the cash its got to be a GTI tbh :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm getting rid of the clio and I'm waiting to pick up a MK5 Zetec-S, so when I do I'll let you know what I think :) although after test driving a few I can say it's an excellent step up.

Look at all the options people have suggested, test drive them, and then see how much you like them and how much each is to insure, then go from there :)

Swift Sport
Has the OP at any point specified what he wants from the car?

- How practical does it need to be?
- Is MPG a big issue?
- Do you want speed, fun or just something your mates think is cool?
- How much does the look of the car matter?
- Do you care about build quality/decent gearbox etc?
- Do you want something different that stands out?

My old Ignis was amazing to drive and handled brilliantly. Yes it was ugly but that was part of the fun, especially when Mr 182 driver can't get away from you.

6263707391_ffd61992b8_z.jpg

lil b*****d by SteBurns, on Flickr