ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warm hatch options? And what to do.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
Its the principle maybe? a 10 yr old renault clio worth 2k tops is not worth paying 3k to insure it.

thought he said it was 2K to insure ? either way spending much more money to save £500 on insurance isnt worth it

F56 MINI Cooper S
I'm talking about the MK6 - the best model, bar the MK7 which is out of price range for the bloke.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
ah thought you meant mk5, horrible car lol.

true but the clio isnt a lot to run tbh, not much worse than some of the suggestions

Disastra Coupe
Saxo VTR? If you look hard enough there's still some good examples about. There is the terrible boy racer image that goes with them but...

In their favour:
Cheap to buy
Cheap to insure
Cheap to fix
Cheap to modify
You can learn a lot about car's from them as they're very basic
Handle really well with a few cheap tweeks

You'd be saving a bundle of cash if you find yourself a tidy one and can whack that money to one side 'til you can afford a 182.

If you are interested in the 106's/Saxo's then you can drop me a PM or even Jimbo, i'm sure he won't mind. We've both been there, done that as i'm sure a few other's on here have.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Saxo VTR? If you look hard enough there's still some good examples about. There is the terrible boy racer image that goes with them but...

In their favour:
Cheap to buy
Cheap to insure
Cheap to fix
Cheap to modify
You can learn a lot about car's from them as they're very basic
Handle really well with a few cheap tweeks

You'd be saving a bundle of cash if you find yourself a tidy one and can whack that money to one side 'til you can afford a 182.

If you are interested in the 106's/Saxo's then you can drop me a PM or even Jimbo, i'm sure he won't mind. We've both been there, done that as i'm sure a few other's on here have.

VTR is a sack of s**t compared to the mk5 zetec-s, i had an S2 rallye and i didnt even rate that against my zetec-s. The handling was amazing even in standard form, so planted and compliant unlike the clio which is like a bucking bronco in comparision. But to have fun in it you need to drive it like an absolute c**t IMO, just not enough power.

Disastra Coupe
VTR is a sack of s**t compared to the mk5 zetec-s, i had an S2 rallye and i didnt even rate that against my zetec-s. The handling was amazing even in standard form, so planted and compliant unlike the clio which is like a bucking bronco in comparision. But to have fun in it you need to drive it like an absolute c**t IMO, just not enough power.

They aren't the quickest, no. But it's not all about power. More than capable of being fun in the twistys. I'd much rather a VTR/Rallye over a smaller engined Clio if i was after fun.

And mk5 Zetec S isn't much faster if at all. I'm pretty sure they're slower iirc? Lol

With 5K I don't think he should even be considering the 172, Saxo VTR, MK5 Zetec.

The ones has had quotes on all seem pretty good options.

Disastra Coupe
With 5K I don't think he should even be considering the 172, Saxo VTR, MK5 Zetec.

The ones has had qoutes on all seem pretty good options.

Mine was merely a suggestion for putting the money to one side for something a bit better when he can insure more :)

I wouldn't blame him for going for a few of the others mentioned.

Meg 300Cup
Theres a massive difference in insurance between 106 and Saxo for me, its like 500 cheaper for the 106, wouldn't have a saxo even if it was cheaper, mate of mine gets pulled over all the time just cos their rep, his car is totally legit and never been caught speeding

Im not in a massive rush to get rid of my clio so i have time to make sure I'm getting exactly what i want for the time being, clio is a no go unless the insurance comes down

Ive driven the MK5 Zetec s and it was awesome but my first car was a mk4 fiesta and couldn't go back to that shitty interior, so if i get a zetec it'll be a mk6

Renault Clio RS182
i would go for a fabia vrs diesel, thats what i had at that age and was good enough, think my insurance was 1200 ish

if you want practicality and fun, then i would definatly go this route! I had the pre FR Seat Ibiza tdi sport (130) which was cheaper to insure than the vrs (group 7 i think) because it lacked the badges, but in my opinion was a nicer looking car. Physically a slightly bigger car than some of the others being mentioned, tuning options are endless; huge 312mm brakes off other cars in VAG range bolt straight on (ish), decent revo remap takes power to about 180bhp etc etc and best of all you won't have things dropping off every 2 minutes, and if i remember correctly i was still getting about 40mpg driving with a heavy right foot

Listerine & Poledo
Ignis Sport.
Panda 100
Ibiza FR
Fabia vRS
Twingo GT (can remap for near-RS power)
Fiesta Zetec S TDCi

Disastra Coupe
if you want practicality and fun, then i would definatly go this route! I had the pre FR Seat Ibiza tdi sport (130) which was cheaper to insure than the vrs (group 7 i think) because it lacked the badges, but in my opinion was a nicer looking car. Physically a slightly bigger car than some of the others being mentioned, tuning options are endless; huge 312mm brakes off other cars in VAG range bolt straight on (ish), decent revo remap takes power to about 180bhp etc etc and best of all you won't have things dropping off every 2 minutes, and if i remember correctly i was still getting about 40mpg driving with a heavy right foot

Seriously that much out of a remap? I know diesels are better like, just didn't think that much.

Sounds a decent option though imo.

F56 MINI Cooper S
If s**t interior is out of the question i dont mean to sound funny but a twingo is hardly going to fit the bill then.

I was in your position about a year ago - had a 1.2 Clio that I was bored of. I went with a 106 GTi, as they were much cheaper than a Saxo on insurance. Coming from a Clio, they're immense fun and feel a good amount quicker. They don't look bad either IMO.

5808451129_dce7be98fb_z.jpg

1997 Peugeot 106 GTI by j0eyD, on Flickr

Should never have gotten rid!

Edit: interiors are pretty naff though tbh!

Listerine & Poledo
Srs? 33bhp from a map?

Well, maybe not the full 33, but between a map and a filter it should make up a chunk of the defecit.

Also, it'll have some mid-range, unlike the 133, and you can get them with the full panoramic roof. :)

Renault Clio RS182
Seriously that much out of a remap? I know diesels are better like, just didn't think that much.

Sounds a decent option though imo.

revo quote 35-50 bhp and 50ibft increases with the map, but yea with a decat/filter there were plenty running 180+

Audi A5
starlet glanza as a 1,3 non turbo on the log book ;) insurance group 3 iirc loaded on ph, ebay etc.

really good on fuel, loads of power to be had cheap, look quite good, fun to drive,

not sure how it works regarding insurance but loads of people do this when they cant get good quotes for vtech's etc.

E36 M3. 182
starlet glanza as a 1,3 non turbo on the log book ;) insurance group 3 iirc loaded on ph, ebay etc.

really good on fuel, loads of power to be had cheap, look quite good, fun to drive,

not sure how it works regarding insurance but loads of people do this when they cant get good quotes for vtech's etc.

This guy failed to read that the OP is looking to have insurance worth having in an accident..........

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Corsa 1.8 sri, nice car really, definitely a sleeper and with a 0-60 of 8.0 I don't think theres a hatch that's as 'warm' with a lower insurance group.

Swift Sport
Something worth mentioning about a 1.2T Twingo is that apparently the fuel economy is shocking after a map. My mate got his girlfriends mapped and he said it became terrible on fuel.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
306 2.0 XSi? Bit leftfield, warmer than most - something different.

106 Rallye S1?

Disastra Coupe
I'm not sure what an s16 would be like on insurance?

I don't know why, whilst i do like s1 106 rallye's i've always preferred the s2!

I was going to suggest a 306 rallye but that's just being daft i'm guessing. I'd love one though.

Meg 300Cup
Corsa 1.8 sri, nice car really, definitely a sleeper and with a 0-60 of 8.0 I don't think theres a hatch that's as 'warm' with a lower insurance group.

How did i forget the corsa? :O Good looking car, Is the suspension any good or is it the standard s**t from other models? the 1.2 twin port i tested rolls just as much as my current clio

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Good shout on a lupo! Awesome cars my mate had one with all the euro shizzle on, looked awesome