ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warm hatch options? And what to do.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Get a quote on a 100hp, seriously at least drive one. I wish I'd never got rid of mine. Could carry loads in it too!

Got a few new quotes

Fiesta Zetec S £913
Fiesta ST £1600
Clio DCi 100 £900
106 GTI £1550 (gone up again)
Yaris T Sport £890
MG ZR 120 £1300
Civic EX i-Vtec £1200
Clio 197 £2400 lol
Renaultsport DCi Megane £1800

So theres a few just to show you how the groups affect the price change

I think the answer is right in front of you.

Fiesta Zetec S ticks all the boxes.

Take the MG off the list, if it goes wrong which it properly will it's expensive.

Meg 300Cup
- How practical does it need to be? Golf Clubs and room for two is all i need

- Is MPG a big issue? Not a massive problem, 35+ would be ideal

- Do you want speed, fun or just something your mates think is cool? Just want a car with some guts, fun to drive and looks good

- How much does the look of the car matter? As long as i like it I'm not too bothered

- Do you care about build quality/decent gearbox etc? As long as its on par or better than my my clio its fine

- Do you want something different that stands out? Most of the cars I'm looking at are pretty rare around here apart from the saxos

Clio 172
Get a quote on the 172/182 with elephant and add as many adults as you can as named drivers.
Last year i cut my insurance down from £1850 to £1100 just by adding my mam and her BF to my policy, i was still main policy holder and still got my no claims and in the event of a crash (as long as i was driving) they said there would be no repercussions on my mams so everybody is a winner.

Elephant might be more expensive atm but if you knock a couple hundred off then you might be down to a reasonable figure.

Swift Sport
This is my choice...

Suzuki-Swift-Sport.jpg

Meg 300Cup
LUPO GTi is only 1200 to insure :O thats not bad at all, nice car too :)

im gonna forget the MG cos theres no way I'm paying 1300 to insure one when i can get all of the others that are similar speed wise for less, the only thing i liked about the mg was the interior tbh

All of my cheaper quotes are coming through elephant atm btw :)

Swift Sport

im gonna forget the MG cos theres no way I'm paying 1300 to insure one when i can get all of the others that are similar speed wise for less, the only thing i liked about the mg was the interior tbh

That's the worst bit!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

All of my cheaper quotes are coming through elephant atm btw :)

The handling is good (seriously!) the outside has aged well and still looks quite smart but the interior.... Good god. Are you blind?? The inside is dreadful!

Last edited:
  Meg 300Cup
Ok just looked at the MG ZR interior, I'm thinking of the wrong car because that interior is just as bad as the saxo sorry guys lol

Swift Sport
I think the Fiesta ST and the Swift Sport are the two best cars in the equation, whether they're the cars that suit you best is another matter.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
After driving the swift, Polo GTi and Lupo GTi, I much prefer the two VW offerings. Polo GTi didn't ever come with the 6speed box iirc, and the lupo did. Polo is a little faster though.

Last edited:
  BG182FF
had an MG zs 1.8 for a couple of years, head gasket went a week after I had it, but did the work myself and ran fine ever since. very good on juice and would go a bit too. On my 3rd 106 gti at the moment, fancy something a bit newer and the the only thing i'd go for looking at the prices is a 182.

If you're on a budget, could still get a decent 106 gti and spend the rest on insuring it. Best car i've ever had for fun factor and handling. pretty good on fuel too!

Meg 300Cup
Ok the ones that fit everything the most are

Lupo GTi
C2 VTs
Fiesta ST/Zetec S
Possibly the 106 and Clio DCi

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't understand how you can compare (or aren't you?) a 106 Gti to a Fiesta/lupo/C2.

They are so dated its unreal. Granted they're good cars for under twelve hundred quid, but if you're looking at spending £5k, I know what i'd rather buy! lol.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Lupo GTi - Make sure it's 6 speed and that you have enough room for your golf clubs when you're seating posistion is correct (very small!)
C2 VTS - Are these not the ones with the cack gearbox?
Fiesta ST/Zetec S - Rust, rust and more rust. If looking for the MK5 Zetec-S then make sure you get a phase 2, bottom ends are stronger and the interior looks nicer as it's darker.
106 GTi, Clio DCi - The 106 may feel like a serious downgrade in spec and the interior. Clio DCi expensive to fix when things go wrong.

Swift Sport
The 106Gti and Saxo are great for the KFC to Maccies race, but for everything else they're pretty pisch IMHO.

Meg 300Cup
I don't understand how you can compare (or aren't you?) a 106 Gti to a Fiesta/lupo/C2.

They are so dated its unreal. Granted they're good cars for under twelve hundred quid, but if you're looking at spending £5k, I know what i'd rather buy! lol.

Not really trying to compare them, just saying they seem to do everything i want except the gti is very old now, 5k is a max, don't have to spend that much tbh 3k still gets a pretty decent car

Clio 172
Im kind of biased towards the Fiesta because i had a MK5 and its was most relable car I've ever had, i had it for 2 years and the only real work i done on it was serviceable parts (brakes and timing belt) theyre an absolute doddle to work on and modifications are simple but the massive down side to them is rust, absolutely horrendous, once you rectified one part you were finding it elsewhere.

If your going for a Mk6 then get the ZS TDCI, much stronger engine overall and there isnt much noticeable difference between the petrol and diesel powerwise

E36 M3. 182
Try and get another years NCB and savings under your belt and get something else??? And, may I ask, why you want a 'warm hatch' ??? Does the handling and point to point (or track) performance of a car have a strong input in your decision?? If not, you could probably widen your horizons...... especially with an extra years NCB/ savings......

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
1.4 Grande Punto T-Jet. Very cheap to run and still just over 8 seconds to 60. Big as well so plenty of room for clubs! With the Sporting bodywork I think they're good looking too (but I am an Italian car fan boy!)

Meg 300Cup
Try and get another years NCB and savings under your belt and get something else??? And, may I ask, why you want a 'warm hatch' ??? Does the handling and point to point (or track) performance of a car have a strong input in your decision?? If not, you could probably widen your horizons...... especially with an extra years NCB/ savings......

Was only because they're small so only need smaller engines for some decent grunt which means cheaper to insure for me cos I'm young, if theres something a bit bigger, similar speed and mpg I'm up for it :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Has meg175 been said? Fairly cheap insurance due to it being a diesel (my reckoning :p) and 200bhp is possible from a map and filter :D

The only downside is they're rarer than rocking horse feces

E36 M3. 182
Anyone know what the Fabia Vrs's are like on insurance??? They shift, esp when tuned, and are also capable of good mpgs.......

Meg 300Cup
Anyone know what the Fabia Vrs's are like on insurance??? They shift, esp when tuned, and are also capable of good mpgs.......

Got a quote on the older VRS Diesel and it was 1500 but don't think i could own a skoda no matter how good they are tbh

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
if you have 5K to spend why dont you just get a 172 and insure it ..?

+1

Its clear you want a 172/182, so just buy one. If you get anything else you will still wish you had bought the clio. That is unless the stop gap car you are buying is a bargain and you cant punt it on for no loss or a profit when your done with it.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Fiesta Zetec S, best warm hatch by a mile.

Lol at rust, talking s**t bringing that up.

Relaibilty, best gearbox, best chassis, best looks, fun to drive.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
Then we can all laugh when he posts a thread complaining about the £2K insurance for a Clio? ;)

well no but his logic is stupid imo. 5k to spend, he could buy a 2-3K clio and insure it. or hes on about spend 3K+ on a car to save £500 on insurance.... might as well just buy the clio which is what he wants. yes insurance might be 2K but a clio + insurance will still give him change from 5K

F56 MINI Cooper S
Its the principle maybe? a 10 yr old renault clio worth 2k tops is not worth paying 3k to insure it.