ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Want a clio.. PH1 172 or 172 cup???

Saxo VTS
Hi all, I currently have a saxo vts and have had a played with 205 and 309 with 175 bhp and loads of other mods and loved how rapid they were! Both weighed less than 800kgs!
However they became undriveable day to day so sold up and bought a vts as a daily.
Its quick and funny but the build quality is shocking and its age has really caught up with it and is very nervous at high speed in the wet.
Now I fancy a change because of the above and the brakes are crap on the saxo and ive ditched the power steering so as im now spending nearly two hours a day behind the wheel I feel its time to get a car that is built better, better brakes and pas but must be great fun and quick.
My brother has a 182 trophy and a 182 cup and also a 197 cup. Ive always been impressed with them but liked the styling of the ph1.
So my questions are...
1: which one is the most fun to drive?
2: are the ph1's modifiable like the cup?
3: do ph1's have a decent solid brake pedal?

I want to do mods like suspension and mild engine so not bothered if the ph1 is slightly lacking as standard and I plan to do trackdays too!
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks, Edd.

Saxo VTS
Are the cups better built? Just want a car that feels fairly solid and like I say nice brake pedal feel.... Hate the saxo long travel!

172 Cup
The cups don't have abs so you just have to be careful in this weather, my other half has a ph1 172 and I have a 172 cup. Tbh the ph1 does feel better but i just think that's the reassurance you get with the breaks.. Love my cup though.

Saxo VTS
Im not worried about locking up so much just hate long pedal travel as I feel it doesnt give me confidence in the brakes actually stopping lol.
Is there much difference to drive? Does the ph1 feel more alive with the cable throttle?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I love my PH1.

Will be even better when I get the head done and the cams fitted. :)

172 Cup
Im not worried about locking up so much just hate long pedal travel as I feel it doesnt give me confidence in the brakes actually stopping lol.
Is there much difference to drive? Does the ph1 feel more alive with the cable throttle?

I wouldn't say the cup takes long to stop (when she doesn't lock up) tbh i don't think there is a massive difference in them tbh.
The bf would say ph1 is better but that's just his preference :eek:

Saxo VTS
Are the heads etc the same? What's the chassis differences?
Thanks for the help and sorry for being such a noob!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I love my phase 1. Like, properly love it.

But every cup i've ever had (lots!) they do genuinely feel notably faster. Apart from the R26R, i've had every renaultsport in the range and for some reason, 172 cups do feel quicker than all the other clios.

But I would personally have a ph1 if it's a daily. If it's gong to be a track car, get a Cup.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
i guess you mean bathers old one dan if so yeah it did go well all cups seem to unsure if its a effect of less weight

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If (big if) you can find a tidy ph1, that would be my choice. Not much heavier than a cup but you get abs/aircon. And the cable throttle, which is nicer to use. Cheaper to insure as well iirc.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If (big if) you can find a tidy ph1, that would be my choice. Not much heavier than a cup but you get abs/aircon. And the cable throttle, which is nicer to use. Cheaper to insure as well iirc.

Well look who the f**k it is! Browny!

The cups don't have abs so you just have to be careful in this weather

I'm sorry but what a load of s**t. There's nothing wrong with the brakes in the cup, I've only locked my brakes up once and that was on purpose.

My opinion is have a look at both and try to get a test drive in both if possible, and see what you prefer.
Kyle 86 I found the cup seats comfier than the standard leather seats, and a tad more supportive.

172 Cup
I'm sorry but what a load of s**t. There's nothing wrong with the brakes in the cup, I've only locked my brakes up once and that was on purpose.

Yours is obv much better than mine then, iv locked up 3 times in as many weeks.
Or i'm just a w**k driver :dapprove: ha

Yours is obv much better than mine then, iv locked up 3 times in as many weeks.
Or i'm just a w**k driver :dapprove: ha

You might just be mega heavy footed on the brakes then as I need to put some serious pressure on the pedal to lock up. That's with new discs, pads and superblue brake fluid.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

I don't think he said there is anything wrong with the brakes on the cup. He just said you need to be a little more careful in this weather without ABS which is completely true.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ph1 is the best car I've ever owned.

Ph2 Cup I had was no where near as good, just felt more rattly and fragile. Ph1 felt clunky and looked awesome.

If/when I get another 172, it WILL be a ph1.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
I love my phase 1. Like, properly love it.

But every cup i've ever had (lots!) they do genuinely feel notably faster. Apart from the R26R, i've had every renaultsport in the range and for some reason, 172 cups do feel quicker than all the other clios.

But I would personally have a ph1 if it's a daily. If it's gong to be a track car, get a Cup.

82kg lighter is a fair amount of weight that the cup doesn't have to carry around. My cup felt very quick indeed, quicker than my ph1

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

My opinion is have a look at both and try to get a test drive in both if possible, and see what you prefer.
Kyle 86 I found the cup seats comfier than the standard leather seats, and a tad more supportive.

The cup seats hold you in really well dont they :)

I found my 182 a bit more comfortable on a long journey

Ph1
82kg lighter is a fair amount of weight that the cup doesn't have to carry around. My cup felt very quick indeed, quicker than my ph1

Don't forget the 80 odd KGs weight saving is against a FF ph2 not a ph1. Ph1 vs Cup and there isn't much in it.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
  Saxo VTS
Ph1 shell with cup bits :)

Are the parts interchangeable?
Basically I prefer the look of the ph1 so if its easy to modify a ph1 to have the cup chassis and aircon delete im happy!
Im not so bothered about comfort as a bucket seat is already waiting to go in!
Are the ph1's a lot lighter then than ph2?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Are the parts interchangeable?
Basically I prefer the look of the ph1 so if its easy to modify a ph1 to have the cup chassis and aircon delete im happy!
Im not so bothered about comfort as a bucket seat is already waiting to go in!
Are the ph1's a lot lighter then than ph2?

The ph1 is 1059kg, ph2 is 1100 or thereabouts and the cup is 1020.

But my ph1 is lighter than a cup ;)

Yes you can swap bits over. I'm in the process of doing the engine subframe which gives 10mm extra track width either side.

I've already got a shorter cup final drive in the gearbox which is 4.07 rather than 3.89.

Pure Motorport do an aircon delete kit.

Cup seats are easy to get hold of and the front wishbones are available from Renault.

Then all you need are some wheel or hub spacers, 10mm all round will do with the cup subframe fitted.

Ph1
Buy a ph1, rip the aircon out and fit some wheels with a et38 and there you have a ph1 ''Cup'' lol without going to too much hassle.

Mine will be for sale soon , I am missing it already :/

rox8.jpg