ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turning over but not firing and sitting for a few months

Clio II 1998 1.2
This is actually for my moms cars, Clio II 1998 1.2 (1149cc) 8v
A few months ago the car would sometime start no problem, and other times it splutter a bit and my mom says she had to rock the car backwards and forwards and it would then start... no idea... maybe a fuel issue?

Anyway, I know the alternator was no good because he had done a long journey (120 miles) a few months back and the battery hadn't charged at all and I had to jump it. (battery is less than year old and showing green on the light). Alternator was then replaced:
Now, while connected to my car for 20 minutes the battery charged and we attampted a good 10 times to start it but it just turns over and over with no attempt of firing up.
I've looked at the plugs and they haven't been changed in years, so I will be replacing them, but could there be an issue with fuel supply linked with the issue a few months ago with starting?

Even more; there is a red light constantly blinking next to the mileage when the key is in the 'On' position. Immobiliser?

Thanks in advance, if it's too costly the car will be scrapped

Clio182 turb Audi S5
Immobiliser probably, disconnect the battery leave for 30mins, connect it up lock and unlock the car and try again. Had this problem with my 182 as I don't use it much. Also check the battery in the key

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Might be an issue with fuel injectors sensors or starter sensor. When it's turning over touch the throttle a little, don't floor it but just push it down a little, if you feel like you need to press it more just do it, this will pump fuel into the engine because maybe it's dried up, I've had this problem several times. Don't worry if you flood the engine, just leave it 20 minutes and try turning it on again then.
If it starts then I'd take a look at the TDC sensor, it's most likely covered in muck! Mine was black with muck covering the magnet. Then I'd get the spark plugs changed and make sure the whole is cleaned out too! If a problem still occurs them take

Clio II 1998 1.2
Thanks guys, will pop round on the weekend and try again.
I disconnected the battery before I left yesterday, so it will be off for a few days nevermind 20 mins.

When attempting to start it I tried a few throttle positions and it made no difference what so ever. So either no fuel is getting there what so ever, or it's the immobiliser.

Clio II 1998 1.2
Cheers Tomo,

Is that the crank shaft position sensor? Only thing I can think it stands for is Top Dead Centre?
I guess carb cleaner will do the trick?

Last edited:

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's the one! I'm not sure if it's the same as mine however;
Just remove the air filter box and then it should be hidden underneath a thick pipe and cable.
Unplug the cable and tuck it out of the way, move the pipe/hose out of the way then undo the 2 bolts holding the sensor on and take the plug out of the sensor.
Give it a good clean with a dry rag then once all loose dirt removed use the carb cleaner sprayed onto a rag and give it another good wipe, if the end of the sensor where the magnet is rusty just give it a clean with a wire brush carefully to remove the rust a little.
Give the hole where the sensor goes a good clean and then put everything back and see if she runs!
I had a similar problem, not firing. Did everything else, didn't work. Took this sensor out to give it a clean, put it all back and it started first time, smoothly as well. If you need any help or have any questions don't be afraid to pm me, if you're struggling to find it or whatever. I'll try help.
Tom

Clio II 1998 1.2
Immobiliser probably, disconnect the battery leave for 30mins, connect it up lock and unlock the car and try again. Had this problem with my 182 as I don't use it much. Also check the battery in the key
Can't believe it was so simple, once the jump leads were attached to my car the Clio fired up first time and actually sounds like it's running better with the new alternator according to my mom... if that's possible. Thanks Jamie

Yeah that's the one! I'm not sure if it's the same as mine however;
Just remove the air filter box and then it should be hidden underneath a thick pipe and cable.
Unplug the cable and tuck it out of the way, move the pipe/hose out of the way then undo the 2 bolts holding the sensor on and take the plug out of the sensor.
Give it a good clean with a dry rag then once all loose dirt removed use the carb cleaner sprayed onto a rag and give it another good wipe, if the end of the sensor where the magnet is rusty just give it a clean with a wire brush carefully to remove the rust a little.
Give the hole where the sensor goes a good clean and then put everything back and see if she runs!
I had a similar problem, not firing. Did everything else, didn't work. Took this sensor out to give it a clean, put it all back and it started first time, smoothly as well. If you need any help or have any questions don't be afraid to pm me, if you're struggling to find it or whatever. I'll try help.
Tom
And thanks again Tomo, even though the car started I replaced the plugs and cleaned the TDC sensor as I've seen in a few places these have a tendency to play up. Really easy to find, although getting a spanner in there is a bit of a b*gger.

Am I right in undertsanding to charge the battery it's pointless having it tick over? As the alternator won't be turning fast enough to generate a decent charge? If so, what would you say is a long enough drive to charge it to a decent state? Or should I invest in a mains charger?

Hopefully this thing goes through the MOT without too much hassle.
Thanks again all.