ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 random cutting out at speed and idle.

Clio 172 Flamer
Hi Guys and Gals

So I have a 2002 Clio 172 flamer. Which has been 100% reliable during my ownership. But recently its been a pain.

Looking for some advice so bare with me as I want to explain whats going on!

First the thermostat failed, luckily I noticed the temperature gauge had gone above half way and was able to stop and get it recovered. Not the end of the world as these things happen on a car that 21 years old.

Replaced the thermostat and all was good until one morning the car wouldn't turn over first time. After a few attempts it fired up and that was that. Thought maybe the battery is low and I'll get it replaced at some point but checked the battery with a multimeter and seems pretty healthy. Plus no battery light.

A few days later the car began to cut out when approaching a junction or low speed gear change. I found that the oil breather pipe had popped off causing an air leak. Most likely not secured properly when refitting the air box for the thermostat change. So sorted that and away I went again for another few days. Car running great and starting first time.

Then I get the non start issue again, this time not firing at all. So after some research I replaced the TDC sensor with a genuine Renault one and new loom. All soldered and heat wrapped. My thinking was maybe coolant had got on it or the wring during the thermostat change.

A week has past with plenty of miles.

But then yesterday it cut out on the motorway! That was interesting! managed to restart it whilst rolling. Got home about ten minutes later and it cut out again. The oil breather is still in place, first thing I checked.
Again it restarted with no issue. Just to add there is no EML and a friend of mine had it plugged into his diagnostics and found no recent fault codes.

one other thing I've noticed is the idle, I know after owning a number of these things they run lumpy but this seems to run low and spike a little. The idle drops low enough for the tail lights to dim. Under load its fine.

Today it has started and running like a dream. :rolleyes:
Any ideas on where to start, sensors, possible air leaks etc. Set fire to it? Nothing worse trying to trace a random inconsistent fault.