ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track phase 182

Spray paint from a can will give a much better finish, cover better and will take less time/effort.
ayee for sure, although the dash area is gonna be tricky to paint by can, as there's a lot of loom in the way - but maybe it's easier to do the masking up and letting the spray paint in the nooks rather than a brush...

Not to many updates today as had a bit of work to sort out elsewhere! but started removing parts of the rear loom etc

dc89ef695f995011ef97403279b6cca0.jpg

post man delivered some replacement stuff, which is always good, along with some hi tensile bolts for seats/subframes and a bulkhead through thing for a safer/cleaner way of putting the the power cable through the bulkhead.

4357b70137ba57f55c626b489347927f.jpg

Removed wipers and scuttle panel, weirdly wipers were not that hard to get off at alll compared the the 182 I had! The rear one I ended up sawing off because cba and plugged with a spare 13mm halfords grommet.

7300217f92e9fdf28357239303893bfe.jpg

might of cut some holes in the bumper... holes in the crash bar will be going in shortly (didn't do any measuring so turned out quite straight...

13b41864b0e53edfb289276436b44170.jpg

random ending photo...

302bd5106f347a806b143c5d501c0e8a.jpg

will be my last update for a week as I'm going to Spain on Sunday! Afterwards I may come back to my car like shiiiiiiit forgotten what to do, but hey least it's all ready for the EPAS to go in! and the engine to come out...

ta'raaa

Ha. You'll need to let me know when, as there are a queue of people needing gearboxes out as well....
Oh really? has Ellen contacted you I knew she wanted one recently?!

and when abouts is it available I would be looking to borrow one when my parts are here and back from holds say 1-2.5 weeks time.. :)

So got back from holiday at around 330am Saturday morning up working on the car around about 10 am...

I got a bit excited no idea why

Engine out Saturday, the ph1 was a lot harder and took 1.30hours more than the 182 due to rusted bolts rounding and snapping etc

ff4f75ab0cb3828dbbb569193a4c7f0d.jpg

Today I removed the subframe, stripped the subframe of ARB as new black Powerflex bushes would be fitted when they arrive.

The subframe put up a fight also as they do with the front captive nuts spinning, so broke and remove them and put a socket/swan neck spanner to remain it captive

pissy things these are

1b03bad4111e8e6cef7305e957a5c827.jpg

I also attempted and succeeded in fitting the cup abs delete (although system isn't bled yet)
this took longer than I expected, firstly I was going in blind never have done anything like thay before and secondly trying to get the master cylinder from the servo was a nightmare due to one the holes being very rusted. oh yeah and my ghetto vice which helped me remove a rounded brake line...
9164351591f92175aa552e7bb1086a63.jpg

af8e7139ce02ec385ff63a31baed6552.jpg

always time for a coco pops break in the middle.

3ae581596cd2c0a380da9c3f67276bc4.jpg

Removing the abs pump has made such a difference, looks to be alot more space, along with the EPAS and battery relocation there will certainly be space for a snail...

Although on the epas note, I removed the old column today and swapped over a few things, will be needing a Ph2 squid as the ph1 one doesn't fit (so anyone reading with one hola at me , thanks.

Managed to draw in some help from a local mate with a 197 although just put a deposit on a meg 250 (irelevant but hey) and got him on the very boring task of removing the sound deadening, no pictures of the finished product but you all know what it looks like

9be3359a38d11e76c37e43cd72515811.jpg

So finished off the day feeling a bit annoyed I could get the epas sorted as would of liked to make a start on wiring that in, although need to identify what gauge cable is suitable for a live for the motor and where to get the power from?
In addition to this got a bit carried away with some paint...
751e9c5e6d625556957bd466c3968409.jpg

so today's updates are as follows:

Managed to finish off the painting of the engine bay, it definitely passes the photo rule - it's not an amazing finish but it's a car for abusing etc etc

Removed all the unnecessary bits off the engine and stuff that I will be replacing: Pas pump, air con, water pump and alternator.

Cup alt set up is just getting prepped for paint, probably going to brush paint on some black hamerite.

Received my drivers side bucket seat also, test fitted and aligned but unfortunately I won't be able to fit until I get my cage, as I need that to mount my harnesses, so standard seats back in

2a7724f204deccf1fb74ad410c83c1eb.jpg

Cleaned and removed a bit more tar today, so that's nearly all the front part of the cabin de-tared.

Forgot to add this onto the previous post - anyone who's fitted the cup brake lines to remove abs

de437e826a8578e14802b5a79df3ee9e.jpg

It this correct that it doesn't have the connecting rod from the bias valve to the rear beam?! quite unsure about this, so if anyone knows anyone who's done this please send them here!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Forgot to add this onto the previous post - anyone who's fitted the cup brake lines to remove abs

de437e826a8578e14802b5a79df3ee9e.jpg

It this correct that it doesn't have the connecting rod from the bias valve to the rear beam?! quite unsure about this, so if anyone knows anyone who's done this please send them here!
No it doesn't connect up to the rear beam mate.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
perfect thanks for the reply!

also youve done epas conversion haven't you? where/how did you get the 12v feed from and what cable did you use?!
Yeah one of the first mate. I took the feed from my bulkhead power connector as my battery is under the passenger seat. I can't remember the gauge of the wire now tbh it's been that long. From memory it was 6 or 8awg, but don't quote me on that

Yeah one of the first mate. I took the feed from my bulkhead power connector as my battery is under the passenger seat. I can't remember the gauge of the wire now tbh it's been that long. From memory it was 6 or 8awg, but don't quote me on that
aye thought so - gotta be enough for 60 amps I think it said so 8awg should be an ough shouldn't it?!

and have you got a bulkhead through connector jobby is that what you mean? but wouldn't that mean the motor is permenantly on? or am I missing something

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
aye thought so - gotta be enough for 60 amps I think it said so 8awg should be an ough shouldn't it?!

and have you got a bulkhead through connector jobby is that what you mean? but wouldn't that mean the motor is permenantly on? or am I missing something
Without looking I couldn't be sure mate.

Yeah that's it mate. One of the longacre ones. Yeah your missing something mate. Lol! You need the eBay box of tricks to control when the motor gets the power fed through it to give the assistance.

perfect I've got on of those to go in. so ill take it from there aswell.

yeah more than likely haha, yep I've got all that :) so just need to source a suitable live cable to motor

Rack has been looped, was a good job till I started to bend it into place...

9896676b53c815f19159a8e328bba242.jpg

also what do I do with top holes on the rack in this picture where the res lines used to go into?

Removed all the airbag ecu and loom also, and I can't for the lift of me remember where this plug goes?

9710c18bb3e11347c512e2de3eea23df.jpg

to do list:
- Finish off loom (mostly tape'ing to go)
- Wire in EPAS, and find a Ph2 squib so that can be finished
- Bleed cup brake system
- Replaced cv boots on both drive shafts
- Fit cambelt, dephaser, water pump, clutch, inner and outer Arb bushes and steering rack bushes

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Rack has been looped, was a good job till I started to bend it into place...

9896676b53c815f19159a8e328bba242.jpg

also what do I do with top holes on the rack in this picture where the res lines used to go into?

Removed all the airbag ecu and loom also, and I can't for the lift of me remember where this plug goes?

9710c18bb3e11347c512e2de3eea23df.jpg

to do list:
- Finish off loom (mostly tape'ing to go)
- Wire in EPAS, and find a Ph2 squib so that can be finished
- Bleed cup brake system
- Replaced cv boots on both drive shafts
- Fit cambelt, dephaser, water pump, clutch, inner and outer Arb bushes and steering rack bushes
The 4 holes in the rack near where the column need to be blanked off, but tbh you could quite easily just fill them with silicone sealant. They are totally redundant once the fluid supply is taken away.

I've used some proper blanking plugs in mine, but silicone sealant is what I'd do if I was doing it again.

The 4 holes in the rack near where the column need to be blanked off, but tbh you could quite easily just fill them with silicone sealant. They are totally redundant once the fluid supply is taken away.

I've used some proper blanking plugs in mine, but silicone sealant is what I'd do if I was doing it again.

I haven't filled mine

#rebel

yeahh perfect, I did think they were pretty redundant! yep ill get some silkaflex in there! cheers bud!

Cracking work fella, looking forward to seeing the end result. You doing any track days this year?
yeahh so am I, I've kinda lost motivation to make it pretty but yep so am I!

andd im thinking about one in November, but that depends on funds - definitely gonna do a season opener thing in Febuary! but other than that...

how bout yourself?

RB197
yeahh so am I, I've kinda lost motivation to make it pretty but yep so am I!

andd im thinking about one in November, but that depends on funds - definitely gonna do a season opener thing in Febuary! but other than that...

how bout yourself?

Ahh I wouldn't worry so much about making it pretty mate, it's coming on a treat.

I'm doing bedford on the 14th of November then doing the season open one next year hopefully at bedford, then after that I plan to do one once a month till the last renault sport day hopefully in August

Ahh I wouldn't worry so much about making it pretty mate, it's coming on a treat.

I'm doing bedford on the 14th of November then doing the season open one next year hopefully at bedford, then after that I plan to do one once a month till the last renault sport day hopefully in August
thanks mate, thats what being in between jobs is all about (although have got a job now, so updates will be slower)
but then I might be able to actually afford to eat rather than buying car parts soo a guess there's a silver lining...

Sounds goood, ahh ok heard of a few people going to that in Nov, hopefully weather is good for you! annd ill definitely be up for doing something like that! more trackdays the better! and be good to meet you finally.

RB197
thanks mate, thats what being in between jobs is all about (although have got a job now, so updates will be slower)
but then I might be able to actually afford to eat rather than buying car parts soo a guess there's a silver lining...

Sounds goood, ahh ok heard of a few people going to that in Nov, hopefully weather is good for you! annd ill definitely be up for doing something like that! more trackdays the better! and be good to meet you finally.
That's a bit s**t but least you've sorted one now, slower progress the better no need to rush [emoji13] yeah I'm looking forward to it it'll be my first proper track day in a long time. Yeah it'll be good to see you on track bud and get a few laps as passenger ;)

That's a bit s**t but least you've sorted one now, slower progress the better no need to rush [emoji13] yeah I'm looking forward to it it'll be my first proper track day in a long time. Yeah it'll be good to see you on track bud and get a few laps as passenger ;)
Yes well let's exchange diarys sooner to the time! yes for sure!

MJClio

South East - Kent
ClioSport Area Rep
  Ph1 Clio 172
Alot of time for the effort going in to this pal! Looking so good.

Finished the day off with fitting the aerocatches, and this picture gives you an idea of what the conditions are like, lucky I'm pretty psyched to finish it, otherwise it's just miserable

beb70c15df2210251ffc0a81e1357c32.jpg

caa91370c48d0cbea774640b6198b5ed.jpg

Tomorrow's plans - may have to spend time with the girlfriend, if not - Engine parts are going on cambelt etc...

Hopefully my arb bushes and rack bushes arrive so I can get the subframe sorted, not sure if I'm gonna paint the subframe the same as the bay... hmm

Then a bit more time spent on the interior getting loom sorted, and maybe pulling my finger our and having a play with a custom dash..

172 Ph1
This is coming on a treat Michael , I absolutely love the colour of the engine bay , give the subframe a quick paint while it is out , otherwise you'll kick yourself later . [emoji6]

Any links to that paint you've used for the bay M8.

This is coming on a treat Michael , I absolutely love the colour of the engine bay , give the subframe a quick paint while it is out , otherwise you'll kick yourself later . [emoji6]

Any links to that paint you've used for the bay M8.
I'm sure Michael would appreciate your kind words (Matthew) close ;)

type in por-15 grey, it's brushed on :) it was gonna be used on interior but that'll get done at a later date :)

and subframe black or same colour as bay?!

Car looks great buddy!
How hard is the cup brake line conversion?
Thanks mate - really not to bad at alll! can't imagine doing it with engine in though in my scenario, the master cylinder was jammed into the servo! but everything else was nice and easy, plug and play kinda thing