ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Titanium Ph1 172

i'll sew if I can grab one from somewhere, I think my thread on the spacers is F'd if I'm honest.

Yeah gaiter won't cost much, brakes i'll do end if the month too, probably her them George

Nice on thanks buddy.

Also turns out that you can't just buy a gaiter and new clip for the passenger side drive shaft :S so it needs a total replacement :S
Either way for the moment as its not actually split and just needs a regrease and clip putting on i'll do that so i can get it through the MOT.

Once MOt'd i'll source another driveshaft. K-tech 'genuine' driveshafts seem fairly cheap for the PH1 type

Good news! didn't need a new gaiter in the end so just packed the boot with a shed load of grease and put a proper clip on instead of a zip tie!

In for re-test thursday morning so all being well another year of driving the Ph1.

So another year of the Clio being on the road :)

Picked up a driveshaft from @Kelv along with the rest of the dash parts needed to complete the conversion. That will be started later on in the month :)

Rear brakes are making a funny knocking noise which i noticed on the way back though so driveshaft will be getting fitted end of the month along with some rear discs and pads with bearings and abs rings.
Also got some 10mm spacers to go on.

Will be probably be getting rid of the AC at some point as it doesn't work anyway and trying to find a Ph2 analogue AC heater control panel is a nightmare.

***must do belts soon!***

So i di the ph2 dash conversion today :smile:

A whole lot easier than the guide might suggest!

Didnt get a before pic.. everyone knows what a ph1 dash looks like. mine was in a bit of a sorry state with marks all over the silver etc and the top dash was melting and would just rub off if you touched it.

Anyway here is during...
18088408410_b77f14d493_z.jpg

The correct position for holding the ph2 steering surround on! The bottom just needs a bit of the plastic mount cut off then you can use original screw and black nut thing it screws into.

18088408010_acfbf2f7ba_z.jpg

And 95% complete

17653543444_2fbb12937b_z.jpg

Need to get a ph2 gear gaiter, fuse cover for the left side by the door and coin tray that goes by the clock. Im waiting on my heater controls to turn up and the relay/ relay box for installing the hazard switch properly.

Also need to figure out which wires do what to keep the ph2 recirculation button and heated rear window correct as i'm not fused about an unlock feature. Car locks its self any way and you can unlock when you open the door.

Then just door cards and seats but they can wait a while now. (well maybe not door cards)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
looks jolly good! Go hole hog and try to get a 182 carpet. I've got a fuse cover you can have and please please get a 182 interior with white dots instead of the 172 one with black dots. If you can get the bits for climate I'll help you fit it ;)

Not sure if I can be arsed to rip up the cup carpet again to change it.

I'll be getting the 182 seats :) will try and get enough leather to retrim the Ph1 rear head rests as I prefer them.

Fuse cover would be great, don't suppose you have the coin tray that goes by the clock as well do you?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
you really can. It is a huge improvement I promise and while the seats are out it would be rude not to. Good shout on the head rests.
I am pretty much in bexhill constantly at the moment so you can collect the fuse thing whenever.....and those radio keys! Will have a look for the coin tray. I had a load of clocks but might have thrown them all out.

you really can. It is a huge improvement I promise and while the seats are out it would be rude not to. Good shout on the head rests.
I am pretty much in bexhill constantly at the moment so you can collect the fuse thing whenever.....and those radio keys! Will have a look for the coin tray. I had a load of clocks but might have thrown them all out.

Cool well let me know when your about and i'll come get some stuff :)

I got clocks just missing that bit.

A bit more progress hopefully this week.

Drive shaft is going on along with new gearbox oil, hopefully get my front spacers back on and the rear sub axle spacers fitted.

Going to get a compression test done so I know if it's worth doing the belts or go full hog and drop another engine in. Then if all goes well that's being booked FINALLY!

Also picking up some door cards and some finishing touches for the dash from Kelv later this afternoon.
Ordered a foot rest and on the prowl for a 182 titanium cup spoiler :) or some 182 seats :)

And they are done!!! Finally!
Good drive home from Essex, doesn't feel any quicker but then I didn't really give it any stick.
feels smoother though and soooo much quieter!
All I can say is that its a job well done! Nice clean cam cover, no oil leak, coolant level where it should be :)

No pics from today as I'm sure everyone has seen pics of a belt change before.

Also fitted the ph2 front and rear door cards with some help from @Dr Jekyll :)

Need to focus on suspension next I think but that's enough spending for a while

@GrahamS i'll try and get some tomorrow, few finishing touches yet but looking good.
needs the gear gaiter and 182 seats and the inside is done

@Dr Jekyll lol all's good mate. Was a laugh although I was worried for a second that i'd have no seat belt ;)

So not a lot has happened with the car really, other than its been stood outside work for the last 3 weeks waiting for me to get my a*se into gear and replace the rad which decided it didn't want to hold water anymore,
Replaced the expansion tank for a nice new one at the same time. Thanks for all your help today @MJClio
Added an alloy foot rest and re fitted my 25mm spacers a couple of weeks back, still need to fit the 10mm rears but will do that when i get round to replacing the rear disks and pads.

Ordered a 90 degree alloy pipe yesterday as i think i need some induction noise back, plus the Ph1 box is a right PITA to gt off!

Still haven't added a gear stick gaiter yet and not even thought about 182 seats! tbh I've been contemplating selling up and getting a Megane R26 or something but still on the fence about this. Probably change my mind again now the car is up and running again.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Gaiters can be had for £10 new from Renault. And yes the ph1 airbox is a pita to remove without scratching it! Induction kit is better sounding and looks better, plus more space in the engine bay.

Megane is a nice step up if you decide to do so.

I'm going to do the phase 2 dash in mine, just going to buy a battered 172 to break and keep the bits i need, i guess i will need some non climate heater dials though.

Alloy Pipe turned up today for the Fatty's induction setup, will fit it after work and take some pic's :)

Just going to connect it upto my old K&N that i took of a while back for now until the Ram Air filter turns up.

So no real update on this really other than had a bit of a spacer fail yesterday morning which turned into an expensive morning.

Somehow, god knows how but my wheel bolts came lose from the wheel to the spacer and ended up causing the wheel to drop off killing the front passenger side wing, spacer and spigot ring in the process.

Was stuck in the middle of the A259 with no tools so when the Police turned up they said it would have to be recovered as it was a busy road and coming upto rush hour. Unfortunately my AA cover had lapsed without me bothering to renew it, stupid mistake that was!

22600070805_0da1dee74f_z.jpg

22600075575_f8eda8a0c0_z.jpg

So £150 later to get my car back, some new wheel bolts and removed the spacer and its all good again, just need to source a passenger side wing in the correct colour now.

22611278301_1a79da2f14_z.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I can't help you on the colour but I'm splitting mine this weekend if you want the wing? It's in Good condition but obviously you'll have to get it sprayed.

Bad news though mate :(

What spacer make are they?

Will see what i can find first mate. Personal situation has changed a bit so need to go easy on the spending.

They are FK, will grab a picture later, not the same as my old FK ones though. One of my old set rounded the bolt hole and this one has obviously just loosened over time.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Strange that both FK's failed though.

No, I understand about the spending. Tbh you'll just want it fixed as cheap as possible now. Maybe we'lll leave the IK then as obviously there's more important things to sort out for you.

Yep I think there just made of chocolate tbh.
Yeah just need a cheap wing and spigot ring hopefully shouldn't cost too much. I did notice someone breaking one up north but need it posted or close by.

Unfortunately so buddy, as much as i want it really cant justify it after yesterday/today's expense :(

Have you sourced a new car already?

I was wrong, the first set was FK which rounded the bolt hole and this one is Eibach which looks as though the threads have striped then the centre bore mount has given way too.

21981554603_23c73311d9_z.jpg

22414758380_5e4c6182dd_z.jpg

So not much has changed on this really... finally got round to replacing the wing which made it look a lot neater.

23713952439_1dc1767367_c.jpg

Added a stainless battery cover, added my Fatty induction setup which really does sound awesome. Need to get a bracket made up though i think.
Also fitted matched upper and lower inlets. While doing so i managed to ever so slightly spilt the fuel line so had to replace that too!

23999160081_fcf1a5b56a_c.jpg

Not had a chance to test the matched inlets properly yet but seems to be a bit smoother at least.

I think once the rear brakes are done and its got a fresh MOT on it in March it might be time to move on from the Clio to something bigger, more reliable and RWD :smile:

So the Ph1 met its end yesterday 😧

Was a sad day as i was hoping someone would buy it whole and it live on but breaking seemed to be the quicker/better option. Not many pictures but here you go

24910997331_46cd879a3d_c.jpg

24886266942_fe412af476_c.jpg

24636661709_e71a293b74_c.jpg

24977973776_497ff8a865_c.jpg