ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Forged LY R26

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
bloody long clutch change this tim :wink:

Clutch change should be completed on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Get them to bend a blade so it sounds like your old one :smiley:

Shall I just refit the old one it's still in the garage?

Looks fine to me...
IMG_4652_zpsc48c82d2.jpg

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I stripped down the old engine this morning.

Oil has been leaking from the oil breather and rocker cover.
IMG_6855_zpsc79cc068.jpg

Started by removing the cam belt, you can there was oil on the tensioner and cam belt cover.
IMG_6914_zps75b96e49.jpg

Removed the oil breather and rocker cover
IMG_6911_zps771027e2.jpg

IMG_6915_zps4cbeee4e.jpg

Cylinder head removed
IMG_6919_zpsf07e6788.jpg

Bores look ok and you can still see honing marks.
IMG_6921_zpsc581a32c.jpg

Then flipped the engine over to remove the sump and discovered this. Oil pickup was blocked with what appeared to be gasket sealant.
IMG_6922_zpse0b261f7.jpg

Cleaned the pistons and upon inspection two were cracked. One with a large piece missing, not sure were that went or which cylinder as there is no obvious damage to the bore!
IMG_6925_zps3d89f5cf.jpg

IMG_6926_zps5cc60787.jpg

The other two pistons were in good condition and all the rods were all straight (surprisingly).

I guess the oil pickup blockage has been starving the engine of oil causing the piston damage and the excessive oil consumption.

I'm definitely glad I've got the new engine now as it looks like I was lucky the engine didn't blow up!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I seen a few engines with this gasket sealant stuck in the pick up, seems to be quite a common problem.

It looked like it had disintegrated so I'd advise anyone removing the sump not to reseal it with sealant!

Glad we've only used a sump gasket on my new engine.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Seen it on plenty of bike engines. Too much of it and when the sumps bolted back on it squeezes it inside the sump and then it gets sucked into the oil pickup. BOOM!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Seen it on plenty of bike engines. Too much of it and when the sumps bolted back on it squeezes it inside the sump and then it gets sucked into the oil pickup. BOOM!

Thankfully it decided to drink oil instead of going BOOM!!

Lets be honest that engine had a very hard life, I'm pretty surprised it made it this far :smiley:

So am I after seeing the state of those pistons!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
It's a bit like one step forward two steps back at moment!!

Received an email at 1.30pm on Friday saying Agency weren't there for the courier collection despite me phoning them Friday morning saying it was being picked up!

I was working in Bristol yesterday so I decided to collect the gearbox before work instead of risking another missed collection. Meeting was at 8.30 so had to leave at 5.30 to get to Worcester!

Dropped the gearbox off at garage yesterday afternoon only to find out I've been sent a turbo with an incorrect oil feed thread!

They've apologised and arranged to collect the turbo and return it by 10am Thursday.

Fingers crossed the car will be ready on Thursday!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Almost there mate.

Half the running in will be driving to rs tuning

I'm going to do 500 miles on running in oil then switch to Millers Nanodrive before going to RS Tuning.

5:30 ! Awww diddums.....

I cant wait for a passenger ride in it once shes up and running.

Early for me!

I don't think I'll be able to get up to RS Tuning until week commencing 10th November.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Gearbox is back in the car now.

Turbo is being delivered in the morning so it should be back on the road tomorrow afternoon.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Turbo arrived on Friday and was fitted but the car wouldn't start so that scuppered plans to put 100 miles on it over the weekend 😞

Today they found it was because the battery was dead. I've got an Odyssey battery to go on anyway so not too much of an issue.

It needs the scuttle etc putting back on tomorrow then they'll take it out to do the first 25 miles.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Gearbox is fixed :)

It's going out for it's first 25 miles tomorrow then I'll have it back.

Tomorrow will be 90 days since I dropped it off. How silly was I thinking it had a chance of being ready for Llandow 😂

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
So first 25 miles have been completed with no issues engine or gearbox wise. Engine sounds great and seems to pulls well up to 3k rpm (which I've promised my mechanic I won't exceed lol).

I'm going to do another 100 miles tonight and drop it off again tomorrow for it's third lot of oil. Then I'm going to do another 400 miles before swapping the mineral oil for Millers Nanodrive.

It's booked in to be mapped by RS Tuning on Wednesday 19th November. My aim is to have 1000 miles on the engine by time it gets to Leeds.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks Scott. Hopefully I can get it looking as good as your phase 1!

Just got home from putting more miles on. Did about 60 miles going from Basingstoke on A30 to Hartley Witney, then up to Wellington Country Park, B3349 to Alton, A339 to Basingstoke and back home along A30.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
The engine is running well, feels strong and sounds the great as well :smile:

It went back to garage on Friday for it's fourth lot of running in oil after completing the first 125 miles. I'm going to do two more stints of 200 miles on the running oil then change the oil to Millers Nanodrive which I bought from Opie Oils this week.
IMG_6944_zpsf1c5bfd9.jpg

Friday evening I met up with @Christopher. @Fletcher @Pete. and @Tim. in Port Solent for a Chimichangas. (Edit: just realised that's the worst picture ever).
IMG_6951_zps0d1e9061.jpg

On the way back home I took the engine over 3k rpm for first time with a half throttle pull in 6th to 4k rpm when joining the M3 from M27. It felt like it wants to just pull and pull, it's quite an event now almost deafening! I'm really looking forward to getting it mapped at RS Tuning on Wednesday 19th November so I can drive it properly again!

This is how the engine bay looks at the moment and a pic of the hybrid turbo.
IMG_6947_zpsbab53fe5.jpg

IMG_6939_zpsdcd90ac4.jpg

Odyssey battery is cable tied in at moment but I've bought this holder for it. Going to mount the Mocal catch tank on it, weld it to the battery tray and get it powdercoated black. I'm also going to get all the black plastics carbon dipped as it looks great on @Pete. 's Type R.
IMG_6950_zpsac8f8bda.jpg

Also purchased a stud conversion kit from Ktec which I'll fit next weekend.
IMG_6941_zpsd9141062.jpg

And a GoPro so I'll get some video of the noise it makes up some point :cool:
IMG_6938_zpsa5003fd0.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Awesome work my boy! Bloody awesome.

If you think it's loud now, after hearing it in the tunnel in France, it must be obscenely loud!! Lol

Love it.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Awesome work my boy! Bloody awesome.

If you think it's loud now, after hearing it in the tunnel in France, it must be obscenely loud!! Lol

Love it.

Thanks Dan :smile:

Yes, surprised me how loud it was and there's still the rest of the rev range to go lol 😂

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Pleased to here it's all going smoothly now. I bet gwmt can't wait to let it off the leash and push further into the Rev range.

Looking forward to seeing it soon been bloody ages. I'm even starting to think about getting a 225 maybe next year?