ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup to a R26

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Been looking at the R26 for a while now and one come up for sale close to me.
It’s mapped to 277bhp and 300 torque had a lot done to it.
Anyone had one and are they quick?

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Mines only 240 but feels quick enough for me

20230812_191414.jpg

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Most good ones are priced too high from what I've seen, can get some mk3's for sometimes not much more, one thing to know, they are a pain in the hole to work on, buy the best you can is my advice. They are just a total different car to the 172 in all aspects, and obviously much easier to drive fast with the blower

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was 250bhp with a FMC and map from Engine Dynamics. Lovely to drive, and very easy to cover ground quickly compared to a Cup. They have an effortless nature about them - but in a good way. Would get another in a heartbeat.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I did have a 225 trophy for about 6 months. Looking back the car was really decent was just always clios with me.

Did try and buy a Red R26 a little bit ago but I couldn’t convince him to part with it. That was around 7500 iirc with like 65k.

The one you are looking at @JohnnyE is well worth a mooch 👍🍺

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
I loved mine, fast enough at that power. Just be careful with the clutch as mine didn’t like that much torque.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I came out of a Trophy into one and had it back to back with 197/200 for a few years. That was years ago mind got the R26 when was 9m old. Put a Stage 1 map once off warranty.

Great all rounder.

Loads of Torque makes you drive it on the mid range I find bit like a diesel.

Got a 275 now. Bit more weight.... Bit more power.

I had an R26.R. The Megane mk2 offers the small, wieldy dimensions of a Clio and moves around on the road like a Clio with obviously a lot more torque. The Megane mk3 despite being objectively more competent and significantly more planted feels a lot bigger and heavier and for me, less fun.

Andyano12

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup + more
I currently have a 172 cup and R26. From my perspective, they are quick once up and running and can cover ground very quickly. But in my opinion the 172 cup is more fun, the 172 cup is like an excitable puppy that just wants to go fast, the R26 is still quick and the differential is (for me at least) the star feature of the car.
I have been dailying my R26 and it is comfortable and a nice place to be, but I don't love my R26 like I love my (old high mileage slightly tatty) 172 cup.

Try and have a go in one and see for yourself.