ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The XBox One Thread

Honda. Tesla Someday
Xbox E3 showing was awesome! "Xbox play anywhere" is epic, Xbox One slim is gorgeous and you can even make your own custom controllers.
Xbox one Scorpio is a beast, 6 teraflops of compute makes it the most powerful console ever made - compared to the PS4 Neo which is 4.5 Teraflops.

Great showing all round! Very impressed. There was other stuff shown but I'm in a hurry! Brb!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
@DeeKay86 I havent followed any of this, but does this mean new xbox one games might only run on the new scorpio console as of next year? Or will they just run at lower settings on older xbone consoles?

Mito Sportiva 135
No - all Xbox One games will play on all 3 consoles. They will just look better on the new ones. It's a good plan - more evolving consoles like PCs rather than generations of old.
Also, it sounds like MS have set out to make Scorpio significantly more powerful than the Neo. I really feel like Phil Spencer knows what he's doing.

Honda. Tesla Someday
No - all Xbox One games will play on all 3 consoles. They will just look better on the new ones. It's a good plan - more evolving consoles like PCs rather than generations of old.
Also, it sounds like MS have set out to make Scorpio significantly more powerful than the Neo. I really feel like Phil Spencer knows what he's doing.

Yep - but Sony recently pulled the Neo from their media briefing - it won't be shown. Sony has changed their briefing and plans every year depending on what Microsoft shows, they'll come back with an upgraded Neo - trust me. They've already said Neo won't be shown at E3 now lol.
And why would they? A 4.5tf Neo would get spanked by a 6tf Xbox.

And to answer whoever asked about games being "Scorpio only" - no - games will work on all Xbox Ones, and games that are part of "Xbox Play Anywhere" will work on all Xbox Ones + PC (you get both licenses).

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Meh. I already have an expensive PC and an Xbox, I don't need to be upgrading both.
The newest nvidia cards have 6.5 (the 1070) and 9 TFLOPS (the 1080) of compute power. I imagine the successor to the 1080 will be out before this new magic 4K Xbox is out, and will again be way ahead.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
6 teraflops of GPU performance and 4K gaming? Or upscale to 4K? 6 teraflops of GPU performance is great but it's not enough to deliver stable 60Hz gaming at true 4K.

Mito Sportiva 135
Probably not - but it will be a MASSIVE step-up to what we have. I'm excited anyway. Will be saving towards that an a nice 50" 4K tv for my gaming room for next Xmas anyway...I'll be married by then (or if it goes sour before then I can bail and use that money for a 60" :) )

Mito Sportiva 135
Because it will mean the gaming experience will hopefully get even better?
Also, the idea of 'generations' is very old school. This is the way forward, embrace it. I'm much happier with this than the alternative (which might yet happen, if the Japanese market is anything to go by) where the idea of a console sitting in your lounge is dead and everyone plays mobile games. The third option (which I think will happen eventually) is a cloud based subscription device where all computing is done remotely on the cloud and your effectivelly stream the game to your TV. We will obviously all need faster internet before this is an option though.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
6 teraflops of GPU performance and 4K gaming? Or upscale to 4K? 6 teraflops of GPU performance is great but it's not enough to deliver stable 60Hz gaming at true 4K.
Companies need to stop making these claims - especially seeing as so much of the performance will come down to the developer and not the console itself.

They can't get Fallout 4 to run at 30FPS 1080p, and they're telling us in a year they're gonna have 4k 60FPS running smoothly.

I'll believe it when I see it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Probably not - but it will be a MASSIVE step-up to what we have. I'm excited anyway. Will be saving towards that an a nice 50" 4K tv for my gaming room for next Xmas anyway...I'll be married by then (or if it goes sour before then I can bail and use that money for a 60" :smile: )
LOL! Priorities! :up:
I'll no doubt end up getting one (I know I will) 😊

Companies need to stop making these claims - especially seeing as so much of the performance will come down to the developer and not the console itself.

They can't get Fallout 4 to run at 30FPS 1080p, and they're telling us in a year they're gonna have 4k 60FPS running smoothly.

I'll believe it when I see it.
In hindsight maybe I have jumped the gun. Not because 4K at 60fps is going to happen but because, on watching parts of the Xbox E3 presentation again, it wasn't actually stated that 4K gaming would be happening at 60fps... I put two and two together and got five. :tonguewink:

I would expect Scorpio to provide 4K output for movies and similar but I still maintain that 4K native resolution gaming isn't going to happen. I expect that games will (as they typically do now) render internally at a lower resolution and then be fed through an upscaler to 4K output resolution. That's not to say the system won't be capable of rendering at 4K native. I expect that WILL be possible but there will likely have to be sacrifices to image quality and/or frame rate (as we see with current high-end PC systems and modern games).

It will be interesting to see what the pricing is like on Scorpio. It's a fair way off yet but it's not going to be cheap. Even if using AMD's newer Polaris architecture (or variants thereof) I think it's going to be a 500 quid console initially. I'll be going for the Scorpio Kinect bundle (with obligatory FIFA 201x game or Forza Limited Edition).

Mito Sportiva 135
I'm assuming MS have done their research and worked out how much the upper ceiling is for price and the amount of people who would buy it. I guess I'd count myself in that group! I loved my 360 to bits and was really confused with the initial positioning of One (even saying 'we weren't aiming to make the most powerful console'). Then they tacked on Kinect and had a bizarre bunch of other weird ideas (which sensibly they then decided against before launch).
The Scorpio to me is the 'real' successor to what MS consoles have been about in the past and why I originally got the first one, then the 360. I suppose I reluctantly bought One because I liked Live and some of the exclusives like Halo - but I'm much more excited about this!

Clio
Probably not - but it will be a MASSIVE step-up to what we have. I'm excited anyway. Will be saving towards that an a nice 50" 4K tv for my gaming room for next Xmas anyway...I'll be married by then (or if it goes sour before then I can bail and use that money for a 60" :smile: )
You might as well have an affair now and speed the whole process up.

Mito Sportiva 135
This is true. More free time and I'm told if we have a baby, my games room is to become the baby room. There are no positives in this!

Mito Sportiva 135
Just because you've resigned yourself to a world where you will be chaning nappies at 4.37am before working on a checkout all day, doesn't mean I have to share the same fate! :)

How is that £1,000 buggy working out for you?

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Because it will mean the gaming experience will hopefully get even better?
Also, the idea of 'generations' is very old school. This is the way forward, embrace it. I'm much happier with this than the alternative (which might yet happen, if the Japanese market is anything to go by) where the idea of a console sitting in your lounge is dead and everyone plays mobile games. The third option (which I think will happen eventually) is a cloud based subscription device where all computing is done remotely on the cloud and your effectivelly stream the game to your TV. We will obviously all need faster internet before this is an option though.

Even better? For serious? Have they really maxed out the Xbox One hardware already? If so it's not a very capable machine.

I don't think the idea of generations is dead - at all. In fact Microsoft/Sony still use the term "Welcome to the new Generation of gaming"* You buy a console with an expectation it will be good for 5y + with, historically, developers only truly getting the best out of the machine towards the end of the product lifecycle. If I wanted to constantly have to buy s**t to game I'd spend more on my gaming PC.

I get why they're doing it (if they actually are - could just have one eye on PS developments) just miffs me off a bit for some reason.

*(https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...ox-one&usg=AFQjCNERxn_9mnjL5i_3P2cetxbgAATNqg)

Mito Sportiva 135
Not maxed out but probably nearing it. Already there are games with framerate issues and where demos are scaled down for the real game - because they can't hack the requirements. This generation also hasn't been helped because, even now, a lot of games are still being cross created for old gen consoles.

Also, there is ZERO requirement to upgrade. New games will still play on the current (new) gen consoles - they will just perform better on the new ones.

Phil Spencer also used the phrase 'gaming beyond generations' indicating the old format of 'here is what you will be playing for the next 10 years' IS dead. There is just going to be more choice and innovation - what's wrong with that? New mobiles come out every year, new TVs come out every year, new cars, hoovers and toasters come out every year. Sticking to a 10 year development cycle (with maybe just a slim version introduced) IS a very outdated business model and not how every single consumer tech category does.

My main point of scepticism is whether a developer will bother making a game which pushes the console if not everyone can enjoy it - they might just make it to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
What impact will this have on the development costs of games, and this the cost when they hit the shelves?

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I want to know who will buy the Slim knowing the 'Scorpio' is just round the corner? Seems an odd buying proposition.
To be honest I've considered it as a 2nd Xbox. I don't have a 4K TV yet - although I imagine I will have come the release of the Scorpio. Dunno. Need to think about it!

Mito Sportiva 135
What impact will this have on the development costs of games, and this the cost when they hit the shelves?
Can you translate to English please?

As for who will buy the slim - it looks cool and will be cheaper. And presumably when this launches the current model will be phased out so it will be the 'normal' version. It also does 4K output I think for films and streams.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I want to know who will buy the Slim knowing the 'Scorpio' is just round the corner? Seems an odd buying proposition.

It's a fair price afaik and handy as you can stand it upright unlike the one.. Plus the scorpion doesn't really offer much for a casual gamer like myself. For serious gamers though I understand. As long as I can still play the latest games one my one I'm happy as it is.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Can you translate to English please?

As for who will buy the slim - it looks cool and will be cheaper. And presumably when this launches the current model will be phased out so it will be the 'normal' version. It also does 4K output I think for films and streams.
Thus. f**king autocorrect

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm assuming MS have done their research and worked out how much the upper ceiling is for price and the amount of people who would buy it. I guess I'd count myself in that group! I loved my 360 to bits and was really confused with the initial positioning of One (even saying 'we weren't aiming to make the most powerful console'). Then they tacked on Kinect and had a bizarre bunch of other weird ideas (which sensibly they then decided against before launch).
The Scorpio to me is the 'real' successor to what MS consoles have been about in the past and why I originally got the first one, then the 360. I suppose I reluctantly bought One because I liked Live and some of the exclusives like Halo - but I'm much more excited about this!
I personally think the Xbox One was a genuine successor to the 360 and offered a decent system at a decent price. I also think it's a real shame the Kinect didn't take of as I believed it had real potential (and still does). Some of the stuff we were using it for (I was working in R&D for a defence company at the time) was pretty cool and the item itself was quite a powerful and clever little thing. Alas, it's pretty much dead and buried now and I expect Kinect-like features and technology will evolve into Microsoft's forthcoming vision of VR.

The biggest problem for Microsoft's Xbox One (back at launch) was Sony's last minute decision to change their hardware on the PS4. They really pulled that out the bag and surprised even the developers. To be able to up the spec with more / faster RAM and a beefier GPU at pretty much the last minute was a bold move that paid off.

Regardless, I'm an Xbox fan (and a PlayStation fan to a lesser degree) so will buy Scorpio. I just don't see where it's going to fit though as buying the Scorpio is pretty much like buying an Xbox-branded PC in a compact form and I already have a decent PC. I guess this is really aimed at the mainstream console gamer - i.e. someone who doesn't necessarily have a PC rig or doesn't have the desire to have one. A decently powerful box under the TV and job done. I think there'll be a drop-off in gamers who will own both a top-end PC rig and a Scorpio though; the line between console and PC continues to blur even further (which could be a good thing or a bad thing...)

You might as well have an affair now and speed the whole process up.
FLOL!

Even better? For serious? Have they really maxed out the Xbox One hardware already? If so it's not a very capable machine.
No - I think there's still a bit of performance to be eked out of the Xbox One (and PS4), but I don't think the developers will have the time to do this now; more time will be needed to ensure game 'X' works well across the whole Xbox One family of devices instead.

It shouldn't make too much of a difference as the most expensive part of the development (i.e. resourcing and asset generation) will largely stay the same.

Fair point. I envisage that the Slim will be purchased by the casual gamer who wants a cheaper Xbox device and that it will also eventually replace the Xbrick that we currently have under our TVs.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The biggest problem for Microsoft's Xbox One (back at launch) was Sony's last minute decision to change their hardware on the PS4. They really pulled that out the bag and surprised even the developers. To be able to up the spec with more / faster RAM and a beefier GPU at pretty much the last minute was a bold move that paid off.

I really don't think the hardware is the biggest factor, and it's also why I'm not convinced trying to out-power Sony is the answer to their problems. The majority of console gamers buy consoles because you buy them and they work, they don't get involved in PC because they can't be arsed with the hoo-ha - these people aren't interested in how floppy the console is etc.

There are two main reasons the PS4 out sold the Xbone, that then lead into a third reason that is hard to overcome...

The first two things were price and games selection (both at the time and in future) - Sony were able to piggyback off having exclusivity with Naughty Dog and therefore Uncharted and TLoU, along with deals with Bungie for Destiny, Activision for CoD etc, meanwhile the only exclusives MS seemed to be offering were more sequels in already tired series like Halo and GoW, plus at launch the PS4 was seen as the console offering the "indie experience" and supporting indie devs. The second thing was price, because MS forced you to buy the Kinnect with the Xbone, you could get a PS4 for £100 cheaper at launch, this made a HUGE difference.

These things, mainly the price, led into the third thing, people will buy the console that most of their friends have so they can play with them, and because the PS4 got out of the blocks much quicker, its player base grew exponentially, as it was the one for most people that their friends had, so it's the one they bought.

The early adopters and non-casuals will jump on the console with the highest performance, but eventually it comes down to what games can I play and who can I play them with.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I'll be trading in my current flaky Xbox one for an S I think.

Unless the Elite console with controller gets to be sub £300 sometime soon.

Not jumped on to the current gen yet - not had a console for about a year, but might get the S, looks pretty nifty.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I only really play 2 games a FPS and a driving game. Leaves me with a lot of space. Could probably fit another 2+ I think if I need space I'd just delete one of my games and reinstall at a later date if I ever wanted to play again. Admittedly not enough space if you want to keep all your games on it though I just keep the ones I actually play.