ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Southwest monthly big meet at Exeter - 2nd friday of the month - 8:30pm

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Patched it up again, but the seal is still not great, and the hot gasses still escape, so it needs to be redone every month or so. Options are either live with it, and just redo it before MOT again, have a special pipe made up, or see if welding it shut will work.
Or get a proper cat back system, or decat system.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Patched it up again, but the seal is still not great, and the hot gasses still escape, so it needs to be redone every month or so. Options are either live with it, and just redo it before MOT again, have a special pipe made up, or see if welding it shut will work.
Or get a proper cat back system, or decat system.

take some pics, might be able to suggest something if I can see it.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
That's fine Dan, I'm sure it gets pretty filled. That was about the 'box but after a long run and abit of thrashing around the a303 roundabouts it seems to be ok now. Had it booked in with my local dealer to check it anyway and seems fine, apparently.

This should be probably go in its own thread but I cba lol

sudameja.jpg

This is with the clamp removed. You can see the soot where there is a small gap, literally tiny, but gets exploited by the hot gases. There was some exhaust wrap, a bandage type stuff with foil and wire. But that just disintegrated, and came off when I removed the clamp. It had also started to burn and had marks where it itself was coming into contact with the hot gasses. There was also some putty type stuff over the join as well, the stuff that is meant to seal and dry as the exhaust warms. But that has disintegrated as well.

It is only the second join that seems to be in the issue. The first seems to have sealed fine.

I want an akra system :( haha

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Maybe I should make it more of a challenge for you then haha :)
Will be passing you on Monday, but I appreciate that is short notice. Will be going past again in about 2 weeks on my way home again, so will sort something out. It's not a massive problem, just one of those things that once you notice it, you can't then ignore it.

@plymcl - could trying fixing / glueing it from behind, so from the front in the looks like one?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Please don't, I'm paying 1300 ATM. (Although that's because I renewed while an insurance claim was ongoing, so when it finally settles I'll be refunded.

Maybe I should make it more of a challenge for you then haha :)
Will be passing you on Monday, but I appreciate that is short notice. Will be going past again in about 2 weeks on my way home again, so will sort something out. It's not a massive problem, just one of those things that once you notice it, you can't then ignore it.

@plymcl - could trying fixing / glueing it from behind, so from the front in the looks like one?

Monday isn't an issue, I've got a few things in but I'm sure I can accommodate :)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Should be popping down to Exmouth for this one, tried to get some pics in a carpark last time but it was closed so we're up for trying again to get some pics ;)

PB Clio 172
will be good to meet some new faces and people! its June ffs and we haven't even been too Exmouth yet.... we better this time lol

ok thanks Ed I don't see what you mean but maybe you could show me I know you are good with...... glue lol

as Cal said earlier the next meet is the 14th June

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
@ Dan - you legend, will give you a ring when I leave home, will take 2.5 - 3 hours to get to you. If there is a time that suits better, then let me know and will do my best to get there for then.

@ fatty - yeh im up for that, or me meet and eat earlier and quicker.

@ plymcl - will explain when you can see what im talking about :p

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
That's fine Dan, I'm sure it gets pretty filled. That was about the 'box but after a long run and abit of thrashing around the a303 roundabouts it seems to be ok now. Had it booked in with my local dealer to check it anyway and seems fine, apparently.

This should be probably go in its own thread but I cba lol

sudameja.jpg

This is with the clamp removed. You can see the soot where there is a small gap, literally tiny, but gets exploited by the hot gases. There was some exhaust wrap, a bandage type stuff with foil and wire. But that just disintegrated, and came off when I removed the clamp. It had also started to burn and had marks where it itself was coming into contact with the hot gasses. There was also some putty type stuff over the join as well, the stuff that is meant to seal and dry as the exhaust warms. But that has disintegrated as well.

It is only the second join that seems to be in the issue. The first seems to have sealed fine.

I want an akra system :( haha

I would be putting some exhaust assembly paste around the join sealing the gaps, then some aluminium exhaust tape on that and then bind it with some exhaust repair bandage. Then a decent wide clamp. It wont leak then :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Exhaust paste is hideous stuff.

Agreed. I prefer black silicone for joints. Amazing it takes the temps but somehow it does.

that joint above though, being a slip joint with no flanges, even if the pipe is in good condition will be hard to seal 100% and if its dented and damaged its impossible. Should be a crush ring ideally like the manifold to cat or at least a flange.
So its a bit compromised by design imho

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
Might bring along some bottles of that wonder wheels stuff everyone is banging on about if anyone fancies buying some off me...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Exhaust paste is hideous stuff.

Agreed. I prefer black silicone for joints. Amazing it takes the temps but somehow it does.

that joint above though, being a slip joint with no flanges, even if the pipe is in good condition will be hard to seal 100% and if its dented and damaged its impossible. Should be a crush ring ideally like the manifold to cat or at least a flange.
So its a bit compromised by design imho

This is the exhaust paste I use, never had any problem with it (so far). It goes on like a sealant:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_164909_langId_-1_categoryId_255217

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
how much and where did you get it from? Do they have it in Barnstaple tescos?

Got it from Tiverton Tesco's, however, I always buy everything they've got So it's unlikely that they will ever have any going spare! Happy to sell you some for a few quid each.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
@ fatty, thats the stuff I got, just as I was passing a halfords and it was annoying me. Put it on it set, then went to hard, become brittle and just flaked off. Needs to be more silicon / gum bassed, so it can deal with any expansion / contraction in the joint.

It may work better if its applied correctly, but it's not an easy joint to get to, or seal properly.

@ chip, yeh not the best way of doing the joint, could / should have been done better but honestly, the best mod for the £40 or so it may have cost.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
@ fatty, thats the stuff I got, just as I was passing a halfords and it was annoying me. Put it on it set, then went to hard, become brittle and just flaked off. Needs to be more silicon / gum bassed, so it can deal with any expansion / contraction in the joint.

It may work better if its applied correctly, but it's not an easy joint to get to, or seal properly.

did you try wrapping it in the silver tape? i.e. firegum on the inner pipe, put into the outer pipe, more firegum around the edges (fill the gaps), then the aluminium exhaust tape?

failing that, what about some sort of very high heat epoxy?