ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

T4RKO 172 Cup

From experience I wouldnt bother with the small little things like brackets. One day you might want the car to go back to standard to make more money from it for a sale. I'd concentrate on the big heavy bits like the battery and that. My general rule is unless its really really not needed then something must weigh over 1kg before I'll remove it.

I've only removed the rear headrests, engine cover, spare wheel and rear wiper on my car but its a road car :D

Well once mine has cage plates welded in, slam panel removed, seat rails welded in, battery behind passenger seat, and plastic windows I can't ever see it going back on the road. I was thinking of removing them to keep it a clean look, make it easier to spray and so I can still throw stuff in the back without worrying about it getting damaged from a bracket. Like I say the weight will be a few grams so nt worth it for the weight saving alone.

Ah. Fair enough if your going the whole hog then you may as well rip it all out. I look forward to the day the clio dies on me so I can put it on the drive and start tearing it to pieces :D

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Well once mine has cage plates welded in, slam panel removed, seat rails welded in, battery behind passenger seat, and plastic windows I can't ever see it going back on the road. I was thinking of removing them to keep it a clean look, make it easier to spray and so I can still throw stuff in the back without worrying about it getting damaged from a bracket. Like I say the weight will be a few grams so nt worth it for the weight saving alone.

Mine still gunna be on the road with all them things and more :)
Makes it interesting :)

I don't even know why I said that as I have every intention of keeping it on the road. What I meant to say was putting the original interior back in and selling it as a "road car".

I am hoping to have it as an MSA race car but also have passenger seat rails in so I can take the seat out for racing and have it back in for the road and track days.

My only concern for the road is the steering lock, airbag lights and no CAT. All things I think I will be able to overcome before MOT time.

My Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 have arrived with my road tyres on so am looking to use the Speedlines for the track for now.

I drove mine 250 miles from my house to Aberdeen last week with no interior, no stereo and PMS Race Exhaust. Had ear plugs in all the way. Took them out for a bit when I got into Aberdeen and it sounded like the car was falling to bits so I just put them back in again! Lol

I hope people don't mind if I just use this thread as a general blog about me, my life and how it connects with what I am doing with the Clio?
I am going to anyway....

Just getting some pictures prepared to go with my background.

gudger12345

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Looking good mate, just read your thread from start to finish.
I am almost local to you.
Do you have any more details on the MX-5 :smile:

Ah my MX-5. :(
I bought it brand new in 2008 after deciding I wanted more grunt and it wasn't worth doing upgrades to the 1.8 I had at the time.
It started life as a 2.0 Sport and then had the following modifications:

Cosworth Supercharger with Water to Water Intercooler (First int he UK direct from Litchfield Imports)
Goodwin Racing 4-1 Manifold and Mid Section
IL Motorsport Race Silencers
IL Motorsport Chassis braces
Eibach Lowering springs on bilstein shocks
Mazdaspeed Splitter, Side skirts and Rear Diffuser
17" Oz Ultraleggera wheels with 235 tyres.

The mapping on the standard ECU was a nightmare and it never really ran to its full potential. It was running about 230bhp before the headers, midsection was fitted. Cosworth pulled the plug as the supercharger was causing compression issues on the standard engine but as mine was already installed they agreed to supply me with forged internals free of charge and have the engine built by a company of my choice. I was hoping to get it forged and mapped properly and looking at 280bhp. 18 months down the line waiting for Cosworth to supply the parts, Sitech Racing rebuilt the engine and then it burnt the whole contents of the oil on the way home which spun a bearing on the crank and started knocking like a bad un! I ended up selling the car as it was as I couldn't bare to go through it all again waiting on a conclusion and who would be liable etc etc. Enough was enough so sold it in this condition and the new owner had the engine re-built again by the same company who wrecked it for a second time! :( The engine was eventually put back to standard I think. If you search on MX-5.com and MX-5 Nutz you will find a lot of info about it if you search my name or numberplate.

I am sure there is plenty of other bits I have forgot to mention but a lot of it I would rather forget! lol

I went over to Northallerton to run my Megane on the rollers there. Made 327.5 bhp which was nice. ;)

Photos:
c6e9402d773287d95faee39c6474658a.jpg

20052009583.jpg

20052009584.jpg

21032009516.jpg

27032009522.jpg

23022009469.jpg

23022009468.jpg

260bhprun.jpg

I have Just noticed it actaually made 260bhp before the forged internals, 4-1 headers and Mid section. Oh what could have been if I had a standalone ECU and a decent engine builder!

I hope people don't mind if I just use this thread as a general blog about me, my life and how it connects with what I am doing with the Clio?
I am going to anyway....

I brief outline so far:

When I left school I wanted to race Superbikes so decided to get an apprenticeship rather than go down the 6th Form route so I would be paid to learn a trade. I managed to get an Electrical and Instrument apprenticeship at GlaxoSmithKline and buy a second hand 1991 CBR600 Race bike. Back then you could get an ACU licence and race a 600 with no prior experience at the age of 16! Anyway I set about racing and doing my apprenticeship and over the years worked my way slowly up to a Wild Card Entry into the World Superbike Paddock in the 600 Superstock Race in 2005 as well as National Endurance, MRO Powerbike Tour. In 2006 I got a job offshore with the intention of making more money to fund my racing. I raced on and off for a few years at club level as and when I could depending on my shifts. I stopped racing in 2010 after a season trying to run a team in BSB Superstocks and realising I didn’t have the time, talent, money or support to make it at that level.

tark12.jpg

brands_mro.jpg

Cadwell_Slide.jpg

Since giving up racing I spend my spare cash on a VW Touareg and Megane RS 265 and with more spare time the wife decided to peruse Horse Riding, something she did as a child but hadn't ridden for 10 years. After a few years of having horses in Livery at yards in the local areas we decided it would be nice to have them at home so we could spend less time travelling and more time with the horses and the money would be better spent on a property rather than livery. I sold my motorbike, mountain bike, Touareg and Megane and put everything we had into buying a Small Holding with 20 acres of land, barns, stables, sheds etc etc which we purchased in 2013.

34FC35FF-D34E-43F5-AB07-A4F06BD0820D.jpg

306D8747-B43E-47A4-B07E-D58BC1BF12D4.jpg

F83BB9F3-C0CC-46B4-B020-E0F47D7FA1A8.jpg

We now have horses, goats & chickens with plans for some cattle and also rent land out for Sheep grazing in the summer months.

5C79A33E-3EA1-4C0C-BC59-1C414E5FEA0B.jpg

70EA8438-56E0-43F3-A886-98E045EC551F.jpg

E4D9440E-27D6-48C1-B5D9-CB01D7E1DEFC.jpg

DDF1E51C-3981-456B-88ED-E817FE390C4D.jpg

1A7BC4AF-8ABA-486F-A57A-97205BCE74F1.jpg

C71BD0C4-3EA3-451C-ABE9-B31D4C366B46.jpg

4FEED188-A7A9-4541-B981-C92C92B8E247.jpg

In the last year I have had to focus most of my intentions into the new property and its land but managed and have spent most of the year working outside learning new skills and landscaping the entrance for better access.

I did however manage to keep a cheap car mainly because I didn’t want to resent the fact I had sold everything I loved for this new lifestyle. I had a Scooby for a few months but as I didn't find it suitable for the commute to Aberdeen, I decided to sell that and buy a Clio 182 as the cheapest fun car I could get. After a few months of that I decided to sell it and get a 172 Cup so I could make it more track focused and hopefully one day get back into racing as it is something I miss and even the Wife misses the atmosphere and social side of Club Racing. I also thought car racing would be a little safer than the bikes considering my work and home commitments.

That brings us to where we are today. I hope to get to know some of you better and you enjoy following my updates and get to know a bit more about me too. It should be pretty varied considering the contrast between breeding show chickens, working offshore, farming, mountain biking, ski-ing, bike track day instructing and hopefully Clio racing sometime in the future too.

Thanks for reading. Always happy to answer questions and talk about things that I enjoy. :wink:

Right back to the Clio for a moment.
I am looking at Battery Master Switches. I have been looking at the poverty spec Red Switches with a T pull from outside all the way to the Cartek and Armtech.
As much as I like the look of the Cartek and Armtech they are a little more than I am wanting to pay considering you can get the 4 Terminal base Isolator switch and T bar for £17.

The mid ground I have found is the Simtek offering found here:

http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.p...ttery_master_kit_latching_switch/?k=:::840936

Is this a good compromise between the basic switch and the expensive options?

Cheapest option I can find would be:

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race...cut-out-switch-4-terminal-base-6ft-pull-cable

Last edited:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I don't even know why I said that as I have every intention of keeping it on the road. What I meant to say was putting the original interior back in and selling it as a "road car".

I am hoping to have it as an MSA race car but also have passenger seat rails in so I can take the seat out for racing and have it back in for the road and track days.

My only concern for the road is the steering lock, airbag lights and no CAT. All things I think I will be able to overcome before MOT time.

My Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 have arrived with my road tyres on so am looking to use the Speedlines for the track for now.
You need a cat to meet msa regs :( I think it's 100 cell minimum but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
This is an awesome thread!

Thanks. There is plenty more to come but didn't want to bore you all too much with my life story.

You need a cat to meet msa regs 😧 I think it's 100 cell minimum but I'm not sure.

Well I never knew that. That's a shame as they are expensive but not a total loss as PMS will be able to supply a CAT that would fit the rest of the system.

Mark did you know fuels down to £1 a litre

Yeah cheers James. This will take longer than expected and building a new house might take a few years longer now. It may bounce back in a few months. Alright for you and your gas guzzler.

Just been thinking about a weld in universal CAT rather than getting a CAT section from PMS. I will see what price Nick form PMS gets back to me with but looking at the exhaust prices on the website the CAT option is £300 more.

I have found these on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161550915880

2.5" to match the rest of the system, 200 Cell, will pass an MOT, stainless and lifetime warranty. Only £80 and should weld straight into my decat easily enough.

I did Bedford on Conti Sport Contact 3's in my old Twingo RS and they were pretty awesome for a road tyre. Cheap as chips now too...

Dunno about NS2 I had some Nakangs that were dire dont think they were NS2.

Worst tyres I ever had were kumho kh31's and my current Jinyu tyres.

These will just be for going up and down the motorway on for now and so I don't have to run the mis match remoulds that are on the Comp 2's. I read that for Budget tyres they are pretty good and for track days the NS2R are also pretty good. That or the Federal's for similar money.

Just been watching this about bonnet pins. Actually enjoy watching these guys. They make me chuckle with their daft phrases but the content of their work is quite informative and entertaining. Mine are in the post as when I get home I am going to get rid of the slam panel ready for the ITB's.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Awesome read this! Was interesting reading about your previous car history and the bike racing. With regards to the MX5, was Sitech the ones responsible for f**king up the engine? They're just along the road from me and I've never really heard a bad word about them until now. Been in a few times as well and Simon's always seemed pretty knowledgeable.

If you're planning on getting a couple of trackdays in up Knockhill, take a little look into the Scottish section. Chances are there'll always be a few of us local guys up there either watching or on track, and there'll probably be a thread up as well if some of us are heading up :smile:

The Issue at Sitek was when I went to pick the car up it was smoking badly and they just said it was that the rings needed to seal to the bores. I spent the next few hours on the drive home loading the engine at various revs and decelerating never staying at constant throttle etc etc. By the time I had done 200 miles it was still smoking. I emailed Simon and sent a video and he said it was normal. Next time I ran the car it wasn't smoking as much. In hindsight I should have checked the oil but didn't. Slowing down for a roundabout the engine stalled. I released the clutch and it fired up again but was knocking. This is when I checked the oil and found there non to be in it. I filled it back up with about 4.5 litres and the knocking was still there. I phoned Simon who said it would need to be stripped down again to see what the issue was. They wouldn't accept liability for it until it had been stripped as it could have been the Cosworth supplied incorrect rings or the sizes weren't right etc etc.

I sold the car as it was at a reduced price on the understanding that it may need a new crank, Pistons bearings etc etc. The rest I am unsure of so can't speculate too much but after speaking to the new owner some months later he said the engine was rebuilt but the head gasket used was from a Duratec engine rather than the MZR engine and there was slight differences between the oil or water ways and it starved the cams. It was rebuilt again and then the third time it was described to me as "grenading". Again I would like to point out I am trying to remember something from 5 years ago now so could be slightly incorrect. I would actually like to know exactly what happened and what was the cause of the oil loss after the initial rebuild.

Update on vehicle history also includes my Green Lane machine known as Diahard:

219e7a35b60ee3fdfd142e8ef7b2af14.jpg

f04d7ff9d77eb2951c0f8323c89c899e.jpg

DSC07855.jpg

Fourtrak_Defender.jpg

Might as well introduce Buster and Sky too:

E6D1D06F-68E2-4C39-8A69-6814A35AF378.jpg

Diahard went in 2012 as I was using it to travel up and down to Aberdeen and the prop shaft was becoming noisy. It was replaced in July 2012 with the Megane.

We now have a Navara as our work horse. Not quite as capable as the Fourtak!

Nigel3.jpg

29C72DB4-E0B6-497A-8274-9E797F57F8C9.jpg

937B8B72-2D73-4F99-9BD2-C585ED55B90A.jpg

And the Touareg was downgraded to an A4 Avant Sline Special Edition:

79E6AEA3-26B8-46B6-9C79-8A8D521FAAA0.jpg

98494B00-1FCE-41B8-BD8D-540581DC2A0E.jpg

Brother in law likes his Audis!:

F980C29A-4CE6-49AB-8615-02EA1FC99223.jpg

Turns out my mistake of getting a de-catted exhaust system won't cost me much more than if I had of bought the correct one in the first place. The price of a sports CAT from PMS is £325 whereas the full system with a CAT is £300 more than the de-cat system. In the long run I will have paid an extra £25 but have a CAT pipe and De-cat pipe although I will never have any use for the De-cat if I cant use it for racing and the car is mapped with the CAT in. Will make it easier come MOT time too.