ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripped 172 Turbo

ibiza cupra
this is probly the best project ive seen on here, how much is this gonna have cost you in the end if you dont mind me asking

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Now this is a Project!

Did you get the brakes from Alex? (With the trohpy) If so they were mine! lol. 3rd owner!

Yes mate, they were from Alex.Will probably change the discs and pads soon but the calipers and bells will be on their 3rd car. been around a bit then!!

Slaggy brakes. There not bad when up to temp, but pisch around town.

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Update time again, Had a few hours on the car today. plan was to see if we could get the engine to a point where it was ready to drop back in the car but couldn't find the torque settings for the flywheel bolts anywhere, this then meant we couldn't fit the clutch and gearbox:( .
Did get a fair amount done though and will only take about another 30 mins once I have fitted the flywheel.

Started today by fitting the camshafts,new cam belt,cam cover and timing the whole engine up, hate doing timing but it all went smoothly.

06-08-08007.jpg

Once that was done I painted and fitted the lower inlet manifold with the modified fuel rail and uprated injectors

06-08-08009.jpg

Next was the cambelt covers, alternator bracket and poly v belt

06-08-08011.jpg

06-08-08013.jpg

Saved the best bit til last, fitting the turbo and down pipe:cool:

06-08-08014.jpg

06-08-08015.jpg

06-08-08017.jpg

06-08-08019.jpg

06-08-08020.jpg

06-08-08021.jpg

These turned up the other day too.

06-08-08002.jpg

Hopefully will get over to work on the car again Friday night, will defo get the engine and gearbox built back up and finished and will try to at least get it back in the engine bay (famous last words!!):eek:

Thanks
Chris

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
it dusnt look amazing, it looks lush!!!
get the dump valve on the go aswell, hehe
cnt believe the power ur clio will have when finished. lucky for some ey, heres me with me 1.2

Qashcow
great project btw, keeping a close eye on it. love tubby applications on cars that they dont live on as standard

A

ashy_gtt

Looking good :)

Just a couple of q's, whats the clearance like between the downpipe and master cylinder? We were trying to manufacture a similar downpipe for a 225 engine in a R5 and the stock manifold was in a similar position but there was no clearance at all, maybe theres more room on the clio?

Also what injectors are you using there? Are they Pico's as you seem to be using the stock fuel rail? also did you buy the rail with the modified regulator or is it something you've sourced yourself?

Very interesting project tho, should go well :)

What sorta boost are you planning to run?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just spent my dinner-hour munching food and reading through this thread. Such a great read! That block looks so clean and pristine after the paint job, it's almost a shame to get it dirty again - lol!

Great work Chris - keep us all informed as to any updates. :)

Also, that Corsa looks none too shy either. Apart from the tell-tale I/C at the front, you'd never suspect that it was anything special. If it was mine, I'd try to hide/minimise the sight of the I/C - make it proper sleeper!

D.

Clio 172 mk2
Great thread, the attention to detail is spot on

As above with the dump valve....re-circ FTW and catching out unsuspecting M3 drivers:D

White Sti Hatch
No dump valves itll ruin it !!!

Looks like its going to be one mad machine once its all in place mate gd luck with it !

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Awesome. A few so called tuners on here should take notes on attention to detail!!!

'51, 172
welll impressed with this thread, cant wait to see the finished product, keep up the good work!!!

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Top thread mate, love it! Carn't wait till the lumps in and running. Keep up the good work :)

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Looking good :)

Just a couple of q's, whats the clearance like between the downpipe and master cylinder? We were trying to manufacture a similar downpipe for a 225 engine in a R5 and the stock manifold was in a similar position but there was no clearance at all, maybe theres more room on the clio?

Also what injectors are you using there? Are they Pico's as you seem to be using the stock fuel rail? also did you buy the rail with the modified regulator or is it something you've sourced yourself?

Very interesting project tho, should go well :)

What sorta boost are you planning to run?

Don't know about the master cylinder clearence until the engine is back in the car, will get some pics of it as soon as its in for you mate but think it will be fine.
Injectors are magnetti marelli one's supplied by k-tec as part of the conversion,unsure of the rating though, sorry:eek: . The fuel rail was also supplied by k-tec, it is a standard Renault part with the regulator adaptor fitted when I got it.

Hope this helps, if there's anything else you need let me know and I will get pics for you

Stage 2 172 Turbo
No dump valve guys,
had one on my cossie 6 years ago and loved it but think it would do my head in now!! Also keeps it more of a sleeper which it what i'm after with this car

MK3 D.Sport, 2.0 HDI Van
amazin, obviously i know nothing about engines but the detail you are putting into this car is amazin, cant wait to see it completed! keep up the good work!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
This is looking ace mate, nice work on re-painting all the engine bits, your not going to be able to drive it when your finished, every thing looks so shiny & clean :eek: lol

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Finally got the engine back in the car on Friday night:D , been a long time coming but feels like we're getting there now.

First up was fitting the lightened/balanced flywheel and paddle clutch after finding the tightening torques in the end!!

8-8-08104.jpg

had to make a heat shield to protect the bulkhead and brake system, still needs a lot of tidying and finishing off but wanted to get it fixed before the engine went in.

8-8-08102.jpg

Last thing to do before dropping it back in the car was to fit the gearbox and starter motor. Excuse the tape and bubble wrap all over the turbo, it's all I could find to keep the dirt out:eek:

8-8-08105.jpg

8-8-08106.jpg

Then came the fun bit, it actually went quite well but did take a bit of persuasion to get the gearbox end casing past the chassis rail and pas pipe/wiring etc. Got there in the end ( at about midnight, mates neighbours must love us!!!)

Going back in

8-8-08108.jpg

Back in the hole:clap:

8-8-08110.jpg

8-8-08111.jpg

8-8-08113.jpg

8-8-08117.jpg

Can see how tight it is down the back now!!, heat shield will need tweeking to move it away from the wastegate actuator and downpipe but very pleased so far.

8-8-08112.jpg

Decided we could get a bit more done ( was on a role by now ) so attacked the wiring/pipework. Didn't last long though as by 1.30am I needed sleep before getting up at 6.30am for work and still had half hour drive home :sleepy: . Only Red bull could save me on Saturday at work,lol

8-8-08120.jpg

Will tidy all the wiring up once it's all in place.

Not long now, will be booking the mapping session with k-tec soon hopefully

Chris

R35 GTR
Can I ask what studs and bolts you are using for the turbo to manifold join? I am having problems with mine coming loose every now again. They last about 6 months before they are completely shagged.