ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripped 172 Turbo

Stage 2 172 Turbo
lol, might take you up on that mark, don't think I've even covered 1000 miles in it since Nov 2007. should be ready for its first track day by the end of next year at that rate:eek:

awesome thread, just read all 11 pages. You really seem to know your stuff, top quality build. Can't wait to see it running!

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Been a couple of weeks since I worked on the car and updated this thread but here's the recent progress. Engine is 99% complete now, just got to get an exhaust made and work out how to route an air filter as there aint any room left in the engine bay:S

Started off by fitting a sandwich plate for my oil pressure and temp sensors and running all the wiring for these. Also had a bit of a tidy up with the wiring in the engine bay ( still to be finished )

10-09-08031.jpg

10-09-08032.jpg

Then started to fit the boost pipes ( this was when I realised just how tight everything was going to be )

10-09-08034.jpg

Intercooler fitted

10-09-08037.jpg

All finished and as she stands at the moment

10-09-08038.jpg

10-09-08040.jpg

Fuel return and air filter are all that is left now.
Car is also back on all four wheels now, was waiting for my blue compbrake top mounts to arrive which you can just see fitted above. really please as this means that for the first time in 10 weeks it can come out of the garage to finish the work and give it a much needed wash:eek:

Will post up pics once exhaust is fitted

Chris

M

mini-valver

Just read the whole thing. Another awesome project! Attention to detail is amazing fella, well impressed :)

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Little bit of any update, have decided to move the battery to the boot as suggested, at first I wanted to keep it in the engine bay but once the boost pipes were in it was obvious I needed more room for the air filter and breather system.

Anyway, have now fitted the breather system and fuel pressure regulator with more braided lines, also routed the new fuel return line to the tank.

18-09-08043.jpg

18-09-08044.jpg

18-09-08046.jpg

18-09-08047.jpg

18-09-08048.jpg

Also refitted the front bumper, looks even more subtle than I thought it would. Can hardly see the intercooler so won't be much to give away what is under the bonnet:quiet:

18-09-08042.jpg

On a down side, I can't find anyone to make me a side exit exhaust because its illegal to have it coming out of the passenger side and the fuel tank is in the way on the other side. Looks like it will now have a ktec stealth instead to keep the sleeper look.

Chris

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I would love to have the knowledge/time to do somthing like this

Must be some feeling of self satisfaction that you done it yourself!

Have you had her r/r yet mate??

ITB'd MK1
where's the air filter sitting? the 2 I've worked on have had NO room anywhere but where the battery would have been for the filter once the pipes are in but i can't see it there. Oh and dont forget the vac pipe that goes onto the FPR, it's important on a turbo :)

A4 Avant
The filter looks to be to the infront of the inlet manifold slightly below on the left as you look at the engine bay.

Great skills to be able to do this and to such a high standard. Conversion looks oem.

Stage 2 172 Turbo
where's the air filter sitting? the 2 I've worked on have had NO room anywhere but where the battery would have been for the filter once the pipes are in but i can't see it there. Oh and dont forget the vac pipe that goes onto the FPR, it's important on a turbo :)

No filter on the car yet, will indeed go where the battery was once i've manage to get a pipe to run from the turbo to filter. How did they do it on the two cars you have worked on? did they use silicon/hard pipes or flexable reinforced ducting?
Haven't forgotten vac pipes, engine isn't quite finished yet thats all;)

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Coming on really well mate. Will have to meet up when both cars are on the road.

Mental 172 Cup
good work mate!

you thought of mayb painting the intercooler?

would hide it away completely then! :D

ITB'd MK1

No filter on the car yet, will indeed go where the battery was once i've manage to get a pipe to run from the turbo to filter. How did they do it on the two cars you have worked on? did they use silicon/hard pipes or flexable reinforced ducting?
Haven't forgotten vac pipes, engine isn't quite finished yet thats all;)

the ones I've worked on have had a solid pipe (think it's part of the K-tec kit) You'll also need to lose a lot of the brackets and bracing around the battery tray. I'd lay the ECU flat on the battery tray I think, will give you a massive amount more space, like we've done on our car :)

enginebay.jpg

Engine bay looks superb and very professional! I had a side exit for a bit, it was too loud for me really although on a boosted car it should be quieter. Not sure its illegal tho as mine passed MOT with it on? Who told you that?

Stage 2 172 Turbo
My local powerflow centre and also a couple of other local exhast places have refused to do me one, even tried telling them it was only going to be used on track but they wern't happy

182 trackday racer
Can't be illegal as the Mclaren SLR has them?!

Yes but it is approved (typed) with that solution.

Butch:

Looking good. One little thing struck me, bet you already thought about it but anyway. The braided hose going over the polished inlet tube will eat in to the material and make your nice inlet look like crap in no time. You better protect it in some way.

Btw the solid topmounts aint tightened in those pictures. They are superb have a set on my car.

Last edited: