ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripped 172 Turbo

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Money bags???

Looks like an ace project though

Very jealous :(

keep it up buddy

Money bags?, not at all. work hard, play hard.
Work 8am-6.30pm straight, 4 days a week and all weekend so just enjoying the fruits of my labour!!!

Stage 2 172 Turbo
will be keeping an eye on this, any idea of the power output in the end?

Should be circa 300bhp when finished, once its mapped I will get it on the rollers to get a true figure but am hoping for at least 280bhp. Should make it quite interesting!!!

172 cup
Excellent read. Can i be cheeky and ask where you got the doorcards and 1/4s from? Iv been looking for some for ages!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
23-06-08002.jpg

23-06-08003.jpg

23-06-08004.jpg

I think that's why mine's a quick one, mine are nothing like this...that's terrible!

Good progress so far, I'll be watching with interest :approve:

Oh, and err, get the sound deadening out...there's almost 10kgs of it.

Car less once more
what wrong with them pic like?? my knowlage is very limited when it come to engines but i injoy the threds, just dont understand most of it lol

Stage 2 172 Turbo

I think that's why mine's a quick one, mine are nothing like this...that's terrible!

Good progress so far, I'll be watching with interest :approve:

Oh, and err, get the sound deadening out...there's almost 10kgs of it.

Mine are nothing like this anymore either Mark, will get pics up as soon as I get all the bits back but they are silky smoooooth now!!!!!

Sound deadening is on the (long) list to do, getting the engine back, built and running/mapped if first though.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I'd ditch the paddle clutch and get a custom full disk one made.

LY 182
why, you mean an organic clutch?

you realised the idea of a paddle clutch is greater clamping pressure.. going back to an organic clutch would be defeating the object unless he were to run a multiplate helix one

well impressed with the project mate

A

ashy_gtt

Side exits are the way forward, glad I put mine back on, sounds fan*ytastic :) :butt:

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Finally picking the engine parts up tomorrow so will have some more pic's for you all then. Can't wait to get it all built back up now:D

Codgey 182: nope haven't sat and worked out what she owes me, do know it's a lot more than I planned to spend but it's going to be so worth it to see M3 drivers etc when they see a little clio chasing them!!

C

clvs2222

f**k the m3 drivers mate, should be chasing ferarri's with that thing! if its around 300bhp at the wheels then per tonne, with everything stipped out , it should be around 850kg mayb abit more due to the tubo and fitting weight. should be around 325bhp/ton. rough estimate. mitsi evo9 fq360 is 1400kg so it only about 250bhp/ton but you would stuggle to get the weight down like the evo does.

these figures are off the top of my head and are not 100% accurate. but very close! ;) lol

This will be a f**king beast when finished :)

Any ideas how the gearbox will cope ?

And are you fitting a Lsd ?

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Gearbox is standard:eek: fear it may not last too long, think I will be getting lots of practise of changing them soon!!

Update as soon as photobucket has finished uploading

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

you realised the idea of a paddle clutch is greater clamping pressure.. going back to an organic clutch would be defeating the object unless he were to run a multiplate helix one

Renault boxes are piss weak. The engagement of a paddle clutch is way too harsh for them.

Helix will make you a single plate kevlar/organic disk clutch to your own torque handling spec.

Much better solution if using a weak box.

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Here we go then guys and gals, sorry for the wait but photobucket was on go slow tonight!

Block assembled and painted, unfortunatly didn't get any pics of the rods or pistons before they built it up. has got worssner forged low comp pistons and H section rods:cool:

23-07-08022.jpg

23-07-08026-1.jpg

23-07-08030.jpg

polished,ported and matched manifolds

23-07-08040-1.jpg

23-07-08041-1.jpg

23-07-08043-1.jpg

just to show how they have been matched to the gaskets

23-07-08045-1.jpg

Cylinder head has been fully stripped/rebuilt. valves re-grouned and ports have been enlarged and matched to the manifolds/gaskets so should now flow as free as possible

23-07-08055-1.jpg

23-07-08052-1.jpg

Exhaust port

23-07-08049-1.jpg

Inlet port

23-07-08051-1.jpg

Also had the flywheel lightened.
The whole bottom end ( crank,pistons,rods,flywheel and clutch assembly) was then fully balanced.

23-07-08032.jpg

Then started to bolt things back on, trying to remember where everything goes:S .
Bubble wrap is to stop crap getting in the cylinder bore's and head has just been placed on to keep it safe.

23-07-08056.jpg

23-07-08058.jpg

Had to stop there today as the missus had locked herself out of the house, had to go back and let her in and couldn't be bothered to go back and do any more so had a few beers instead:approve: .

On the plus side, my new fuel pressure regulator had arrived when I got back to the house.

23-07-08035.jpg

23-07-08037.jpg

Thats it for now, visit to Renault to get more bits next. will be fully built very soon now.

More updates as it happens!!

Chris

Last edited:
A

ashy_gtt

Renault boxes are piss weak. The engagement of a paddle clutch is way too harsh for them.

Helix will make you a single plate kevlar/organic disk clutch to your own torque handling spec.

Much better solution if using a weak box.

Thats bollox, I'm using a paddle in mine the same as the one in this thread (well not sure if his is 215mm or 200mm), and the paddle engages smoother than my Helix twin plate clutch ever did!!

Scoffs running a paddle in his with over 350hp and he's still on his first gearbox and thats with god knows how many runs up Santa POD!

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Brilliant! Seriously brilliant I love to see a good job well done, I shall certainly be following this thread!