ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

South West RR Day

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Really need to rolling road my car, wondered if others would like to make it into a day? Register your interest here so we can set something up.

I see thing being done in 3 stages - First registration, then a short vote on where to do the RR (majority wins), then when the company has been contacted and a price agreed, deposits will have to be paid to hold your spot (this is to stop people no-showing, probably best if Fastdanbar handels this side of it if thats ok?).

1. The Fatty

LY 172
I'm showing interest. But it's completly dependant on location. A RR day at ktec for example is £100 including fuel for me. Where as a Plymouth one £30.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
There appears to be little interest Aaron so I might just take mine into a place in Barnstaple (unless more decied to sign up in the next week). Its kinda urgent on mine as I think the timing might be off so I dont want to wait around too long. :) Perhaps if th enumber are still low in a week or so we can arrange to do it early next year instead.

182 Cup
I'm interested too but tbh I'd only really go to ktec for it so ill probably just wait and go when I can unless there's a lot of interest in somewhere else that's reputable.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
I am tempted, would like to know what mine is producing. But it is still cost and location dependant.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Ok just a little update on this, my need for a RR session is quite urgent, so im goign to get theat done locally as a seperate thing.

It would still be great to have group RR day, so the plan above is still in action! If you interested, please register your interest. I have asked fastdanbar for help organising this as 2 heads are always better than 1 (plus he has the permissions to run a poll)! The actual RR day will probably yake place early next year (January), that gives us a bit of time to organise things.

So heres the list so far:

1. The Fatty
2. Aaron182
3. McGerkin
4. Shifty.
5. Carbon maniac
6. fastdanbar
7. ranger4tk

So far most of you want to go ktec. You will get your chance to vote where to go later, so if you know of a good place and want it to be included in the vote, please make us aware :) The vote wont happen for a few more weeks yet (giving it a bit of time for the interest to build, we can probably start it once the number reach around 10/12), so you have a bit of time to add a garage to the list.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Could we all do a but of research into some places and drop some ideas off in here please :)

I will look around and see what I can find via the net, I'm gonna ask the guy at work that keeps pulling out print outs for his 700hp RS6 and see where he goes as he seems to use a lot of rollers and they can't be far away.

LY 172
He holds rolling road days pretty much every month.
Power figures of Hondas are questionable.
But of what I know he has only had a few problems in 20+ years.

HBT 172 Cup
AJ's rolling road is spot on IMO. Old DOS based DynoDynamics setup (same as Surrey Rolling Road), my ITB'd clio RR'd perfectly there.

If i manage to do my clutch in a couple of weeks time, ill sign up for this.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The dyno itself is good but what they'll tell you is ultimate bullshit. A member here was told to expect 160hp out of a 182 and 150 for a 172.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
The dyno itself is good but what they'll tell you is ultimate bulls**t. A member here was told to expect 160hp out of a 182 and 150 for a 172.
Are you sure the member didnt understood? The readout will show 160ish for a 182 and 150ish for a 172 because its atf not atw remember... Maybe he highlighted that to the guy but he didnt hear him correctly or didnt understand.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I understand that ATW that would be about right, but it sounds about right for them to set the bar that low so that it looks amazing when the car's been dynoed and they present the guy with a supposed 10-15bhp increase.

Chip, Plymcl172 and countless other non-RS owners I know have had problems with him.

Last edited:
  172 ph1
I took my impreza to him when my turbo went as he was supposed to be the main man for them, when it went in it had a hybrid, which got sent off to be rebuilt. Car came back to me running like a crock of s**t, with a std turbo fitted. When quizzed, said it was the one that came off the car, and basically tough s**t. Friends skyline went in there, cost them a fortune and was no quicker/powerfull than before it went in, despite having before and after dyno sheets showing power increase...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mtec in westbury will do it for about 30 quid a car if there is a decent number of attendees, 2wd dyno dynamics setup.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dave Baskerville has probably forgotten more about engines than most people know in their lifetime!
IMO he's your man.

What make rollers are they?

I'd happily tune on any old rollers, its the mapper that matters for getting results, and if they read nonsense it doesnt matter as all that matters is you come out with the best you can get, but if its for people wanting a fairly accurate figure, I would stick to Dyno Dynamics personally (although its still easy to make them misread if you want to of course!)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Mtec in westbury will do it for about 30 quid a car if there is a decent number of attendees, 2wd dyno dynamics setup.

I personally would avoid these guys, have ripped of friends, so even if their dyno work is good wouldn't give them a penny

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I personally would avoid these guys, have ripped of friends, so even if their dyno work is good wouldn't give them a penny

Would love to hear the full story on that one as I deal with Mtech all the time and they have never been anything but bang on.
So often people think they have been "ripped off" when really they just take a shed of a car to a garage and then end up with a bigger bill than expected cause there is more wrong with it than they thought, then the next thing its the garage is the bad guy, I have seen it SO often now (from working a motoring journalist you get to hear all sorts of stories) that unless I have details and both sides of the story I tend to take stuff like that with a pinch of salt, especially when I have so much positive firsthand experience of the company in question to go by.

PM me if you dont want to post it hear, and then I will ask Matt for his side of it and let you know what I think!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
can't see how any of these horror stories are relivant tbh, we arnt going there to get work done on our cars, we are going just to use the rr!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
can't see how any of these horror stories are relivant tbh, we arnt going there to get work done on our cars, we are going just to use the rr!

Indeed, all that matters is that its a set of rollers that reads reasonably well for this purpose.

PB Clio 172
Rather jump off a cliff repeatedly than go to AJ.

same here, total ! lol

I wouldnt go to AJ if he had the last rollers on earth!! wouldnt let that nob ever lay a hand on my car

I have so many stories it would bore you on CS. All of them true as AJ has fluffed about with some close mates of mines cars and my own. Do not ever go to AJ. Just advice I would rather chuck £50 in my tank and go to k tec if I wanted an RR Day (which I don't atm) they give fantastic service and are a great bunch ! Been there myself and it was a cracking day out!

Last edited:
  PB Clio 172

be my guest but if you had seen what he has done to the cars over the years you will find out....

My R5GTT ran like a dream, took it to him and that was it. He did a RR test and the car never ever came back the same, thats just one story :eek:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Maybe your car wasn't tuned right and being held flat on the rollers anywhere would have killed it.
Me and aj don't get on at all and I don't want to go there myself particularly tbh, but i don't see how it's his fault your car died during just a power run?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
lets nip this in the bud before it fill up 10 pages - This RR day will not be held at AJs due to multiple vito's. Please dont not post how bad AJs are or that you dont want to go there as its effectivly a wasted post.