ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So whos all planning on Knockhill events!??

172 Cup (Track)
Seeing as there seems numerous local folk popping up left, right and centre in project threads etc saying theyve bought track cars and will be on Knockhill this year, i thought id try get everyone in one thread so we know who to expect to see!

A link to a project thread would be good too, so we know whos car is whos with what mods etc!

Me and my mate Cubie are from Glenrothes, we have 172s we're building for track days and probably a shot in Super lap Scotland.

My project link: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?728554-Clio-172-Cup-Track-Car

We're hoping to make the track day at the end of the month (26th?), anyone else??

:race:

172cup
Hi - I live in sunderland, putting a 172 track car together and will be doing knockhill. I lived in edinburgh a few years back and attended a few trackscotland events.

I'll be avoiding the hot hatch days, driving is terrible and the track time is terrible! I may do a couple (PFC day etc) but I'll mainly be sticking to open pit days/nights.

I think my first one will be the 8th march, 4 hour open pit!!

I'm sure most people know my car at knockhill was there a few time last year!!

Cayman S, RB 182
I'll be trying to get up as much as I can this year for open pit lane days. I haven't started a project thread yet but I will. Basically bought a standard RB 182 and started doing the odd bit to focus it more towards track days. I'm from Leven so if there are any local-ish meets or that I'd be up for coming along for a blether.

Cheers
Neil

172 Cup (Track)
Looking good then, what outings yous got planned?

More of us out at one time the more close-matched fun can be had!!

Engine wise its standard apart from a panel filter, PMS exhaust and the cup alt set up.

Its running cup subframe, cup wishbones, KW V2s, camber bolts.

Getting new wishbones, tie rods and end this winter, new nylon rack bushes and more lightening!

Cayman S, RB 182
Nah, probably get one for my birthday, want a snell rated so If I win the lottery I can race!

Race you say? Out of curiosity how do you go about getting into competitive racing? I'm at extremely early stages but interested none the less.

On a side note, has anyone seen a snell rated helmet which is purple? Planning on becoming the purple helmet warrior

Tbh I'm a noob too. Bit your going to need a car up to msa spec, then all the safety wear, race license etc. Not cheap to do.

Race entry, tyres etc all adds up!

I don't think you will tbh, they all seem to be white for custom paint jobs

Cayman S, RB 182
True, Im just looking forward to getting some time in and getting the basics sorted out first. Anywhere local for trying helmets out?

172 Cup (Track)
Race you say? Out of curiosity how do you go about getting into competitive racing? I'm at extremely early stages but interested none the less.

On a side note, has anyone seen a snell rated helmet which is purple? Planning on becoming the purple helmet warrior

Im planning on trying Super Lap Scotland, its not quite racing but its a championship where you go out against the clock. Regulations are a bit more lenient than racing and you would race on a Nat B non race license. It also means you can use your Clio at whatever state of tune its at, the cars are put into categories depending on power to weight ratio.

Its a good step between track days and racing, and could enter Sports & saloons next season if you decide to race.

make sure if your buying seat, harness, rollcage etc that they are MSA (or FIA) approved and thatll save you buying twice if you end up going competitive later. Thats what ive done. To go into sports & saloons id just need an extinguisher which im going to get at somepoint anyway.

Half a dozen Clios in S&S would be quality.

Search Google if interested!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The ST will be getting its first track day up Knockhill in March. Spoken to John that organises the SIDC days, he says his first date is 29th March (Though you can't book yet).

Track etiquette on the SIDC days is the best imo.

Cayman S, RB 182
Cheers for the info Gaz, I'll definitely have a look at that. I have bought some second hand omp seats which I believe will pass MSA regs as they were once FIA approved, also got a safety devices cage coming from the group buy. I've got a lifeline fire extinguisher that I managed to save after I took my evo off road :( , I'll be adding that in somewhere anyway

172 Cup (Track)
Yeh for SLS the seats dont need to be in date (or even approved?) but rollcage does. Its when you go racing, seats, harnesses and extinguisher all needed and approved/ in date.

Its a lot of money though, even race suit, boots, gloves & helmet would cost probably £600 minimum !!

Ye it's not cheap, I'm trying to get my car close to race ready, and then money dependant see about racing next year, will maybe try and slip in some SLS this year later on if possible!

Cup In bits
I plan to be out in Sports & Saloons mid summer in this http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?650378-Another-Clio-172-Cup-track-race-build and also some rounds of SLS and OPL TD's if they fall in my time off, it just needs completed now.

I done a fair few trackdays last year in this http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?686821-Another-Clio-172-Cup-Road-Track and it is always busy with Clio's which makes it fun.

Just to clear up for competition a harness is the only thing that needs to be in date for any club level MSA event, the seat just needs to have had previous FIA cert and if your extinguishers out of date they can be re plated for circa £30. There is even talk of a roll cage not needing to be MSA approved for SLS and if you choose not to run a cage then you will need all door cards, roof lining etc. no battery cut offs etc needed for this level of tune other than yellow tape on the battery neg lead. Renny the SLS competition scrut is very approachable if you have any questions IME

Cup In bits
For SLS does the extinguisher need to be plumbed in? Or mounted in a specific place?

Depends at what level your car is at.

If it still has interior, bucket seats and no rear seats are allowed iirc then no need for any extinguisher. I would advise a handheld just incase.

Anything more than that interior wise then you need a plumbed in version.

edit: also if you have a rollcage your going to need a plumbed in from what I have been told.

Placement on both is entirely upto yourself although a plumbed in will require the nozzles as per MSA with a minimum of one at the driver and one at the fuel rail.

Cayman S, RB 182
^ nice one cheers. I'll mount it up anyway, had it under the passenger seat in the evo just for the crack anyway lol

172 Cup (Track)
As far as i know the seats or harnesses dont need to be approved and no fire extinguisher is needed.

Roll cage needs to be FIA or MSA approved and for under 2000cc you only need a rear cage.

Its hard to find the proper regs and the yearbook is not simple either, firing you between sections for certain things.

Looking at the book, i thought it needed approved seats, harnesses, rollcage, extinguisher, cut offs etc. Apparently not!

Cup In bits
The blue book is a book of riddles and 90% of the time is up to the scruts perception of that rule, your best to speak to a scrut whenever entering competition.

It looks like they have dropped extinguishers all together and even a cage is a choice in the 'production class'. The rules are just like sprints and hills production hence the 'nat b' license which can be applied for on the day. You could essentially build a car (not much building to be done) and sprint it on the hills too for penny's.

172 Cup (Track)
Was up at todays Hot hatch for a look, there was a few Clio Sports..

A silver PH1 172 with orange half cage and buckets, sat in pits all day.

2 182s sitting together in pits, blue one out on track.

Anyone on here?

Few retards as prior warned inc a tube in a Gold 306 GTI-6 who was doing about 25mph into the top of Duffus and spun, ending up still on the inside kerb as he was going so slow. Outright dangerous and hilarious!!

172 Cup (Track)
Anyone other than Morgan booked on tomorrow for open pit?

Morgan, are you going to have the car back together?? Lol