ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Selling clio via pay pal?

435D X-Drive
I have had an offer on my car and the person is looking to pay via pay pal is this a safe and secure way of doing this.

There are reasons for this type of transaction. Its just I have never had alot to do with it so just needed some advice.

Thanks

SQ5
Is it for his son/brother/father/other family member?

He needs to pay PayPal because he is in Africa/on an oil rig/away on business?

He will send his friend/driver/colleague to pick it up?

Twingo RS
Paypal = w*****s.

Make him get the pound notes, count them out and check them with a pen or a light. Nothing other than that is secure for a home transaction.

435D X-Drive
Its for his son, he is away on business and said that someone will collect the car once money is cleared. Should I wait for it to clear into my bank or just into my pay pal account?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
I personally wouldn't. For one the fees would be huge plus it may be fraudulant. Check the stickies on the for sale section about teh pitfulls of paypal. I arranged for a bank transfer for a car I sold a couple of years back and then went in to the bank to guarantee the money was in and couldn't be retracted.
Why can they not pay when they collect?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Lol, does it not make you wonder how I answered exactly every scenario there?

It's a scam.

Just walk away....
As above... I've had this previously. Not a genuine buyer.
Shame cos I really considered buying your car from your ad but was too far away.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
By 'away on business' is he saving the king of Nigeria? If you clean your car before you give it to him, I'm sure he'll give you some of the king's fortune.

Non Sport Megane
its a scam! i sold my saxo eBay, and withing literally 3 hours of my car being on there, i had an offer, for it, but he could only pay via paypal, he worked on an oilrig, and someone was coming to collect the car, me and my old man thought this was abit odd, so we decided to ring paypal, and get some advice, and with eBay your not actually covered for money back from paypal if they withdraw the money after it has been collected, as it has an engine! always go for cash in hand! so much safer! theres soooooo many scammers out there there days its unreal!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
How does the scam work?

I'm guessing once he has paid for the car, collected it, then gets home, he cancels the payment?

White clique
OP - have you secretly actually yet accepted the paypal and done the transaction or are you really double checking with everyone first. Dear god please dont say this isn't a transaction you've already committed to.

^ RSIceberg, or they hack someone else's account to pay and its a fraudulent transaction.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ah i see, my fathers paypal was recently hacked, c***s got away with 500 quid, luckily he got it back though!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
seriously wondered who falls for these stupid scams then the op's thread appears. ffs dont respnd to it, as beens said its a scam and probably just saved you from losing your car for free!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
hope this doesnt turn into one of the usual CS threads where members give good solid advice and then the guy decides to ignore it, do it anyway then come greeting looking for advice on how to sort it

500 Twinair
Dont do it, accept a bank transfer or cash, if they are genuine, they will accept that.
When I was selling the 182, so many scammers, especially offbauto trader.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Never accept payment via Paypal (unless it's by gift) for an item that's being collected by the buyer.

Paypal told me if you do there's nothing to stop the buyer reversing the payment and keeping the item.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
fonejacker.gif

Seems legit.

435D X-Drive
No I have not replied anymore and I am taking everyones advice, anyway see what you all think......

I'm interested in purchasing this vehicle,
Let me know if is available
You can get back to me on my e-mail address
Thanks

I then responded

Hi there

Regarding my clio, yes this is still for sale. If you are interested in viewing the car give me call this evening or tommorrow on 07545139595

Thanks for your interest.

Then....

Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me.Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for someone very close to me, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one.Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will get it to my son's location safely,So i look forward to hear from you soon.

My response was I am new to this will it be collected once payment is in my bank account?

Then finally...
Send me your paypal email address so as soon as i get it i'll proceed with the payment then after sending the payment you'll get a notification email from paypal stating the pending/status of the money into your account then you can withdraw the money from your account. so get back to me with your paypal email so that i can proceed with the payment at once.
Regards.

Thanks for saving my car guys :clap: