ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's ph1 172 track project (maybe)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It's great fun bud! if you've got time and the space it's great. If you need any help look at my progress thread (actually it's not that indepth as I forget to take pics)

But yeah just holla if you need any help, as I have just finished re shelling my ph1 into my 182 :smile:

Good luck
Cheers mate, I'll have a look!

Hoping it all goes smoothly. A lot of the difficult work has been done already on this shell so I'm hoping it's really just a case of swapping over my engine etc. then whatever needs transferred interior wise, but it'll be getting done in a very small garage and/or outside, so that'll be a nice challenge through the winter 😂

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Had the car on the rolling road again at the weekend. Made 141hp at the wheels which is an estimated 167hp ATF. Injectors were running 99.9% duty cycle at the top end so was told it would benefit from being leaned out a bit. Not sure if it's really worth it, but I do wish it pulled better right up to the red line instead of tailing off.

IMG_20151214_124202.jpg

Also got it weighed, which now seems a bit pointless since it's getting reshelled over winter but it was booked already and I was curious.

IMG_20151212_101452.jpg

That's 1047kg with me in it and half a tank of fuel. Was 979kg without me. Had no passenger seat in that day but it's a good figure IMO considering I still have A/C, all glass windows, steel bonnet, standard battery, headlining and tar on the roof, front door cards and everything behind them, a load of shite lying in the car, and a full dash. A decent set of lightweight wheels might've seen a few kg less per corner too.

Hopefully removing the A/C, fitting the ali bonnet, a lightweight battery, and the lack of lower dash or any door cards/skins in the new shell will cancel out the weight of the full cage in it and I'll stay around the same figure for next year!

snapseed-01.jpeg

snapseed-02.jpeg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The injectors shouldn't be anywhere near 99.9% duty cycle, they're good for 200 odd from memory, odd!

Edit - hold on, you got it mapped locally didn't you?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The injectors shouldn't be anywhere near 99.9% duty cycle, they're good for 200 odd from memory, odd!

Edit - hold on, you got it mapped locally didn't you?

That's a good point actually, can run itb's on standard injectors can't you?

Never been mapped in my ownership. Wonder if it has been previously...

Or could it be running s**t injectors?

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
That's a good point actually, can run itb's on standard injectors can't you?

I'm running ITBs on standard injectors.....
Never been mapped in my ownership. Wonder if it has been previously...

Or could it be running s**t injectors?

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I'm running itbs on standard injectors and they are coping fine, fueling seems good, well it drinks the stuff!!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Had the past couple of days off work and had hoped to get fired rights into this but the weather is putting a stop to that 😞

I managed the huge task of cleaning up the engine bay a bit 😂

IMG_20151221_143908.jpg

Hopefully get more progress on it over the Christmas break. Next job is to remove all the subframe etc and give that a lick of paint, probably in some lairy colour. Then get the wings off and repaint the bay.

Once it's all clean the proper mechanical work can begin.

IMG_20151220_143116.jpg

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
And cheaper, unless you want silver quarters n roof:grin:...... The red is very nice though!!
The fact I'll have to use the red bumper anyway (silver one's ruined after my deer incident!) is swaying me more and more towards painting it all red, but that's all money I could spend on trackdays! I'll stick to getting it running for now I think lol.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Progress!
IMG_20151227_141646.jpg

Dropped the subframe out today. Lowering that myself was an experience to say the least! Had it balanced on 2 jacks as I removed the bolts.
IMG_20151227_140701.jpg

So now that's off its heading back home with me to get stripped down, cleaned up and painted. Not decided on colours yet.

P.s. @Djw Dave @Djw John I love the pair of you for using new subframe bolts on this. They were so easy to remove 😂

172 Ph1
Had the car on the rolling road again at the weekend. Made 141hp at the wheels which is an estimated 167hp ATF. Injectors were running 99.9% duty cycle at the top end so was told it would benefit from being leaned out a bit. Not sure if it's really worth it, but I do wish it pulled better right up to the red line instead of tailing off.

View attachment 142656

Also got it weighed, which now seems a bit pointless since it's getting reshelled over winter but it was booked already and I was curious.

View attachment 142657

That's 1047kg with me in it and half a tank of fuel. Was 979kg without me. Had no passenger seat in that day but it's a good figure IMO considering I still have A/C, all glass windows, steel bonnet, standard battery, headlining and tar on the roof, front door cards and everything behind them, a load of shite lying in the car, and a full dash. A decent set of lightweight wheels might've seen a few kg less per corner too.

Hopefully removing the A/C, fitting the ali bonnet, a lightweight battery, and the lack of lower dash or any door cards/skins in the new shell will cancel out the weight of the full cage in it and I'll stay around the same figure for next year!

View attachment 142659

View attachment 142660

Another ENM lives on - Sorn ATM thou . Good read - Subscribed
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451238362.819836.jpg

For future reference with the subframe, put a plank of wood stretching across the middle of the subframe the the jack in the middle, easy to do on your own etc

Glad you got another ph1 to replace the ph1.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Another ENM lives on - Sorn ATM thou . Good read - Subscribed

Not for long though :( this will be scrap once everything is swapped over!
Nice shell! I'd paint as much as you can just now as I wish I'd done a bit more now seeing rusty parts coming through in the engine bay:cry:
Yeah, that's the plan anyway. Avoiding powdercoating anything though because if I do one thing I'll want loads of bits done. Cans of paint are cheaper [emoji23]

For future reference with the subframe, put a plank of wood stretching across the middle of the subframe the the jack in the middle, easy to do on your own etc

Glad you got another ph1 to replace the ph1.

Didn't even think about that! Didn't have a plank of wood at the time either to be fair though lol.

It actually started out life as a 182 shell. Had a ph1 front end put on it and most stuff swapped to suit a ph1. Its now just some weird hybrid of every clio ever!

The fact I'll have to use the red bumper anyway (silver one's ruined after my deer incident!) is swaying me more and more towards painting it all red, but that's all money I could spend on trackdays! I'll stick to getting it running for now I think lol.

I'll get your bumper sprayed professionally and for a good price if you want mate, let me know and I'll put you in touch with my mate

Rb 182
View attachment 142935

New shell is officially on its way home!

A sad day indeed.

Progress!
View attachment 143398

Dropped the subframe out today. Lowering that myself was an experience to say the least! Had it balanced on 2 jacks as I removed the bolts.
View attachment 143399

So now that's off its heading back home with me to get stripped down, cleaned up and painted. Not decided on colours yet.

P.s. @Djw Dave @Djw John I love the pair of you for using new subframe bolts on this. They were so easy to remove 😂

You'll find a lot of new nuts and bolts dotted around that shell haha

Enjoy it Stu

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not much to update. I gave the subframe a going over with a wire brush to remove some of the rust so it looks a bit better once painted. Will probably still Hammerite it though to save any hassle.

IMG_20160102_150653.jpg

Will give that a lick of paint in the next couple of days if I get time, along with the wishbones and ARB. Then get the engine bay painted and the real work can begin.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
In fact, before I go about painting the subframe, I'm considering getting the wishbone mounts rewelded and drilled further out to increase track width/camber. Basically to what a cup subframe would be.

Has anyone actually done this before? I've seen it talked about but nothing more than that.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Brilliant idea to do a shall swap. I'd be tempted to do the same if a cup shell and cage came up one day. Would you not be better trying to buy a cup subframe? No-one ever buys parts like that so they much be cheap as chips. Postage would be the main killer.

I hammerited by dci subframe when I did widetrack and it's stood the test of time. Took a few coats to stop the metal showing though.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Brilliant idea to do a shall swap. I'd be tempted to do the same if a cup shell and cage came up one day. Would you not be better trying to buy a cup subframe? No-one ever buys parts like that so they much be cheap as chips. Postage would be the main killer.

I hammerited by dci subframe when I did widetrack and it's stood the test of time. Took a few coats to stop the metal showing though.

In theory yeah it would be easier to just buy a subframe, but I've not found any close by in ages and don't imagine anyone would post one. And also the fact this would be a nearly free modification lol.

Need to look into it a bit more but it doesn't sound too difficult to do so long as I'm careful with measurements!

Good to know the Hammerite will stand up to a bit of abuse. Not sure how it'll be after a few trips through the gravel on track though lol