ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's ph1 172 track project (maybe)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Right choice in brake pads mate.....If iv got time I'll nip up for a look tomorrow
Yeah they're certainly something those pads... Lol! Took the car out to bed them in a bit there and it locks up cold road tyres stupidly easy. They're only RC5+ too [emoji23] wasn't hero enough to go for RC6.

I'll be up in the afternoon mate, couldn't get the morning off work. Fraser's up the full day though. Not sure who else is going

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
i'll head up for the afternoon session, may even stick the track wheels on incase i can sneak a space on track (doubtful)

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Iv
Right choice in brake pads mate.....If iv got time I'll nip up for a look tomorrow
I have the RC6's on and they have never let me down unlike the D2500's. I've got a set of 8's lying we'll so what difference they make soon. Good luck for this afternoon, weather looks great, if not a little too hot for it :)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Iv
I have the RC6's on and they have never let me down unlike the D2500's. I've got a set of 8's lying we'll so what difference they make soon. Good luck for this afternoon, weather looks great, if not a little too hot for it :)
I got a shot of Fraser's car and was surprised how much better the RC6's were than the RC5+ ones, although the RC5+ is still an epic pad. RC8's must be ridiculous lol.

It was probably a bit too hot today, but the day went fairly well up until the end. Lost it at the chicane and managed to slide it into the barrier. Damage could've been worse but it's scuffed all the rear quarter and bumper, and most of the left side at the bottom is covered in gravel rash now! More annoyed at myself for staying out when I knew my concentration was going but hindsight is wonderful...

Will get a full post up in a bit with some pictures and stuff. Got it on video too.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I got a shot of Fraser's car and was surprised how much better the RC6's were than the RC5+ ones, although the RC5+ is still an epic pad. RC8's must be ridiculous lol.

It was probably a bit too hot today, but the day went fairly well up until the end. Lost it at the chicane and managed to slide it into the barrier. Damage could've been worse but it's scuffed all the rear quarter and bumper, and most of the left side at the bottom is covered in gravel rash now! More annoyed at myself for staying out when I knew my concentration was going but hindsight is wonderful...

Will get a full post up in a bit with some pictures and stuff. Got it on video too.
Sorry to hear that mate, but it is a track car so it will look good with a few war wounds :)..... I suppose when you chase the times it happens. Were you running road tyres or semi slicks? Will hopefully catch up with you soon.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Proper update time after yesterdays track day. Got all the track wheels sorted out last week. Old dynamique wheels with R888's on them. Tyres were 205 wide and didn't realise the wheels were only 6j wide until I had the tyres on lol! Had a bit of a bulge (giggity) on the sidewalls but held up fine through the day.

The R888's were SG soft compound ones, and even considering it was about 22 degrees yesterday and sunny, so high track temps, they held up surprisingly well. I'm doubtful how much they'll last me on another day, but I got them cheap and my next track day probably wont be until Cliosport Saturday now so will probably just buy some new AD08r's for that to do me the drive down and back as well. The RC5+ pads also went well the whole day. Will be buying again once they're done, or might upgrade to RC6's!

Now to the not so good bit...my first off! Managed to go well the full day, even when I was out chasing some lap times. Then 5 minutes before the end of the session, when I was pretty much just out to get the most of the day, this happens:

Still not really sure what happened other than losing concentration and going in too fast on a bad line. I think I realised I was going in too fast at the last minute and got a bit of lift off oversteer as I went left. From what I remember though I straightened up and braked but nothing happened! So by the time I'd done that, I was heading for the gravel and just pulled it right and hoped for the best.

Left the car with a few nice looking marks:
IMG_20150612_191431.jpg

IMG_20150612_191443.jpg

IMG_20150612_191503.jpg

Luckily most of the scuffs on the rear quarter have actually rubbed off and what's left would probably polish out if I wanted to. The gravel rash is a different story lol but I can probably live with that. Might be a track car but I'm still pedantic about bodywork 😂

Apart from that, I enjoyed the day. Made up about 4 seconds on my previous times on road tyres and cheap pads. Into the low 64's now and as much as I don't want to be all about chasing lap times it's good to track progress and improvements

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry to hear that mate, but it is a track car so it will look good with a few war wounds :)..... I suppose when you chase the times it happens. Were you running road tyres or semi slicks? Will hopefully catch up with you soon.
Yeah, suppose it's to be expected on a track car! I like things clean though lol! Was on semi slicks as above, maybe they were starting to go off with the heat, still not too sure.

Think my next day will be into August some time with the way the dates have worked, but will maybe catch you up there before that.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Battle scars! absolutely love it. Looked like you were having a good time on the track, zoom zoom. RC5+ are really good aren't they :) Never really fade.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Yeah, suppose it's to be expected on a track car! I like things clean though lol! Was on semi slicks as above, maybe they were starting to go off with the heat, still not too sure.

Think my next day will be into August some time with the way the dates have worked, but will maybe catch you up there before that.

just watched the vid mate, damage not as bad as I thought it would be. Can relate to your pain though, I'm the same with the Trophy, it is track after all but I do like it detailed before every track day :up:. I think it will be August as well before I get out next! catch up with you soon and happy Tcutting!!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Another track day (night) down! Reverse circuit at Knockhill tonight. Actually really enjoyed the layout once I got used to it. There's a lot more corners you need to be careful with than with the normal layout.

Took the scenic route over the grass at the chicane on one lap, but apart from that, no offs this time [emoji23]

Think my next track session will be at CSS now! So I'll hopefully get some stuff done with the car before that. Give it a general check over too, oil change etc.

Really need some proper track wheels soon too, but I think I'll just be getting some AD08r's and firing them on my F1's for the drive to CSS as well as my track session.

Anyway, just for my own reference, other plans are to rip the A/C out since it doesn't work anyway. Fit a sunstrip, some more free weight reduction on whatever I can find, maybe get a stud kit to make wheel changes easier, and maybe also some better harnesses.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Absolutely zero updates on this... Was at Scottish Car Show a few weeks back, so the car has received a bit of a tidy up. Polished very quickly, touched up the wheels, painted the brake calipers silver, and the front Renault diamond and side bump strips satin black. And yet I have no pictures of any of it!

I bought some AD08r's, been on track some more, and that's about it. Car performed fairly well at CSS at the weekend though. Very surprised at the grip with the AD08's, and no rolling over onto the sidewalls like my PS3's did. Got a few videos on track on the GoPro so will get round to uploading them at some point.

Not really been spending much on the car besides fuel and track days. Booked up for a private track evening at Knockhill next month, then going back to Blyton a few days later, then hopefully get a full day's open pit at Knockhill again before the year is out. Considering a reverse day at Knockhill at the end of this month too.

Tempted to give some of the front end like the arb bushes and stuff a little refresh before then but we'll see how time is.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Good to meet :)

Car looked to be going well!
Likewise mate! Kept meaning to get a few passenger laps in your flamer but was having too much fun on track myself lol!
Stuart was pretty good at the weekend. Car was pretty different to how i first seen it.
Plus went well on track.

His banter at the weekend was also pretty good too.
When did you last see it before then? Car is serving me well atm. Wasn't as flat through bends as I hoped but don't fancy uprating the springs while still using it on the road.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not much of an update, but I just got the car back from its MOT. Passed apart from an advisory for a ball joint. Current one on there has only seen about 3k miles, changed it back in February or thereabouts. Think it was lemforder so not really a cheap make, but I'm unsure now whether or not to replace the ball joint or just get two new lower arms from Renault! Been considering the cup/extra caster lower arms anyway.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye, that's my thinking too. Had been considering poly bushing a set if I could pick up cup ones but new bushes will probably still be an improvement!

Only problem is it needs done for Thursday lol!

53 Clio's & counting
I can supply both genuine cup wishbones (come with bushes) and powerflex (unfortunately not by Thursday )

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers Russ, I'll probably be in touch at some point for some powerflex bushes. Did notice on your website you had a 5-10 day lead time on wishbones though. Was one of the places I checked for prices when considering them lol.

Will have to see how quickly Renault can get me them. Probably just replace the ball joint for now though. Save any hassle with 2 track sessions in the next 6 days!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Cheers Russ, I'll probably be in touch at some point for some powerflex bushes. Did notice on your website you had a 5-10 day lead time on wishbones though. Was one of the places I checked for prices when considering them lol.

Will have to see how quickly Renault can get me them. Probably just replace the ball joint for now though. Save any hassle with 2 track sessions in the next 6 days!
Knockhill Thursday and down South again on Sunday?

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Yep! Really looking forward to Thursday. Weather seems like it'll be fairly good too which is a bonus!

How'd the car go yesterday mate? Was meaning to come up but ended up a little bit hungover to drive lol!
Went really well mate, very reliable and seemingly sounds amazing, its hard to tell when your in the car with the helmet on but it is very loud...... Hopefully someone can do a bit of pit wall filming in Thursday for me!!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Went really well mate, very reliable and seemingly sounds amazing, its hard to tell when your in the car with the helmet on but it is very loud...... Hopefully someone can do a bit of pit wall filming in Thursday for me!!
Good stuff mate, need to get a nose around it on Thursday lol. Think there's a supposed to be a proper photographer there so maybe hopefully get some videos too!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Replaced my ball joint on the car tonight and gave it a quick spanner check in prep for Thursdays track night. Took my pads out to remove the anti rattle shims from the carriers, and I'm genuinely amazed at how little I've used of my RC5's. They've seen 2 half day sessions and one or two nights and still look like this!

IMG_20150901_174145.jpg

IMG_20150901_174154.jpg

On the other hand though, there's play in my slider pins, so really need to get on with refurbing my spare calipers and getting them on with some braided lines.

Quick test drive after fitting the ball joint and all feels good though. Was pulling left slightly under braking at first but seems to have sorted itself after some hard braking runs. Still to bleed the brakes tomorrow night and move my seat a bit closer to the wheel to stop stretching my arms out so much on tight corners, but apart from that it's all ready for Thursday (and then the weekend, providing there's no mishaps...)

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Replaced my ball joint on the car tonight and gave it a quick spanner check in prep for Thursdays track night. Took my pads out to remove the anti rattle shims from the carriers, and I'm genuinely amazed at how little I've used of my RC5's. They've seen 2 half day sessions and one or two nights and still look like this!

View attachment 135357

View attachment 135358
On the other hand though, there's play in my slider pins, so really need to get on with refurbing my spare calipers and getting them on with some braided lines.

Quick test drive after fitting the ball joint and all feels good though. Was pulling left slightly under braking at first but seems to have sorted itself after some hard braking runs. Still to bleed the brakes tomorrow night and move my seat a bit closer to the wheel to stop stretching my arms out so much on tight corners, but apart from that it's all ready for Thursday (and then the weekend, providing there's no mishaps...)
Lol i was just saying to Fraser I don't know if my RC6's will last Thursday night and they have only seen 3 days (1 of which was wet) and one 2 hour night.....might be a short lived session for me on Thursday...

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Lol i was just saying to Fraser I don't know if my RC6's will last Thursday night and they have only seen 3 days (1 of which was wet) and one 2 hour night.....might be a short lived session for me on Thursday...

Clearly I'm not braking hard enough yet... Lol. Is that just on brembo HC discs too? Thought the RC6's would last just as long as the 5's!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Yea
Clearly I'm not braking hard enough yet... Lol. Is that just on brembo HC discs too? Thought the RC6's would last just as long as the 5's!
Yeah that's on HC discs..... I'll come out for a lap with you tomorrow and you can do the same with me

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Been having a few thoughts about what my plans over winter will be with this. Insurance runs out at the end of this month, so I'm considering whether or not to just put it off the road.

Top bearing in my steering column has seen better days and although it wasn't bad enough to be picked up in the MOT, it's only going to get worse, so I'm thinking an EPAS conversion over winter might be a good plan. I'd probably keep the standard rack and loop it, so if that's coming out I might as well drop the subframe and give everything a refresh too.

The list I'm thinking so far:
  • Remove AC
  • Fit EPAS conversion
  • Powerflex rack bushes and arb bushes
  • Cup subframe if I find one cheap
  • New wishbones, unsure about powerflex bushes for these, heard bad things about them
  • Solid top mounts (most likely PMS) since everything else is getting done
  • Refurb front calipers
My biggest decision though is my gearbox. If the subframe is off, do I just get my spare gearbox refurbed and fit it with a new clutch, or wait until my current one goes bang. It's crunchy just now but a refurbed box and new clutch is starting to go into a bit more than I want to spend over winter!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Some pics from last night's track night
FB_IMG_1441350009182.jpg
FB_IMG_1441349996639.jpg
FB_IMG_1441349950998.jpg
FB_IMG_1441349939809.jpg
FB_IMG_1441349930232.jpg
FB_IMG_1441349889404.jpg
FB_IMG_1441349819068.jpg

Didn't want to push it on too much considering I have another full day to get through on Sunday, but the car performed well again. Only thing was a little knock near the end that I think is some play in my caliper sliders.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So, impulse decisions over the weekend meant I now have a cup spoiler, which got fitted yesterday. Looks so much better now.

uploadfromtaptalk1441718689273.jpg

In other news, the car managed Blyton again at the weekend with no mishaps. Well, apart from using all my coolant on track, but that magically sorted itself out on the drive home! Reckon it must've been air in the system.

Also may have ruined another ball joint through hitting Blyton's kerbs too hard [emoji23] need to check that out soon.

Don't think the the car will be seeing much more track action this year. Just deciding now whether or not to keep it insured or put it off the road and set my plans from a few posts back in motion.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
T
So, impulse decisions over the weekend meant I now have a cup spoiler, which got fitted yesterday. Looks so much better now.

View attachment 135937

In other news, the car managed Blyton again at the weekend with no mishaps. Well, apart from using all my coolant on track, but that magically sorted itself out on the drive home! Reckon it must've been air in the system.

Also may have ruined another ball joint through hitting Blyton's kerbs too hard [emoji23] need to check that out soon.

Don't think the the car will be seeing much more track action this year. Just deciding now whether or not to keep it insured or put it off the road and set my plans from a few posts back in motion.
That's what a trip to Fraz n Stu's Aladin's cave does to you!! You never leave empty handed lol