ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's ph1 172 track project (maybe)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Got the rest of the weekend's jobs done today. Both track rods and ends fitted either side, and new ball joints. Put the TRE's back on same amount of turns as the old ones came off, and the alignment was still MILES out afterwards, but the car shouldn't be moving much in the next week or so until I get it sorted. Tried to pull it in a bit anyway but it's still about 5mm wider at the front edge of the tyres than the rear edge, which I work out to be about 46 minutes toe out LOL. Good turn in response though... 😂

Anyways, no pics today unfortunately, but the n/s was certainly more eventful than the o/s was when changing bits over. The TRE didn't want to budge from the hub, and even after soaking with wd40 and some gentle persuasion (read: smashing it with a big f**k off hammer), it was still stuck fast, so resorted to heating it up. Didn't really think about the fact I had just soaked it all with a highly flammable fluid and just went in with the blowtorch. Shite myself a bit when pretty much the whole area just went up in flames for a second or so as it burnt it all off!

The ball joint was luckily easy enough to get off. The pinch bolt that had been used previously however was, emm, questionable... It was a lot thinner a diameter than what should've been used, and I'm pretty sure that was the source of my knock/clunk under heavy braking. Makes sense that the ball joint pin would've moved slightly in the hub giving a slight knock. Anyway it doesn't do it now, so I'm happy!

Next updates should be replacing the fuel filter if I get a spare half hour one evening this week, and changing the brake fluid. CV boot done at SOS Motorsport, up to Progrip for alignment then hopefully I'll be good to go for track.

Oh, if anyone's having a read and breaking a ph1, I need a bolt for the subframe! It's one of the ones that attaches those squarish plate things at the rear of the subframe. Don't know how else to describe without a picture.

Many.
That is exactly the kind of tool I was thinking as I'll be using it a lot lol. Fan spanner works well for such a cheap tool, but its hassle lol.

I always try and get tracking similar and end up being miles out when replacing the whole lot.

The bolt you need, one of those little 13mm's, from the spreader plate into the subframe?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That is exactly the kind of tool I was thinking as I'll be using it a lot lol. Fan spanner works well for such a cheap tool, but its hassle lol.

I always try and get tracking similar and end up being miles out when replacing the whole lot.

The bolt you need, one of those little 13mm's, from the spreader plate into the subframe?

I should've just paid the extra and got that tool in the first place, would've saved so much time!

Think that's the one yeah. Tried a non sport one but was too small. It's the bolt circled in here I'm after http://www.cliosport.net/index.php?threads/770699/
Managed to get a photo from Google lol.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Non sport is the same?! Ive got loads of them, can post if you want, freebie.
Are you sure? I have one I got off a 1.2 or something from the scrappies and it's just goes straight through the hole lol. Think I've managed to source one but cheers anyway, I'll get back to you if not though!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ahh s**t, I hope so! Sure the thread was there but I'll have to double check now. Do those bolts do anything important like help hold the subframe in position at all?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
uploadfromtaptalk1426786024629.jpg

Cage arrived yesterday! Looks decent enough.
Car is away getting the gearbox cv boot sorted just now though. Will have that and some fresh box oil soon enough, then getting it on the rolling road Saturday morning to check it's all running fine. I'm dubious though. Exhaust popped at me the other day and felt like it stuttered a bit. Will soon see how it runs though!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
uploadfromtaptalk1426930555512.jpg

Made 167hp on the rollers this morning, so looks like it's running well!

It's running rich at the top end though. Not sure how much a map could help sort of the lack of any power increase above 6k rpm.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
How have I missed so many of these updates in the last week. Why don't you try another bolt from the rear subframe things.

172 Cage!! Quick, get it in. If Lauren doesn't go nuts mines going in this weekend......

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Is that a standard engine? Good if it is. What what improve the running rich?
Yeah completely standard as far as I'm aware! Only things I have on it are a ktec stealth cat back and the diy ktec induction kit.

Would just need mapped to sort it out I think. Apparently they all run rich but mine took a bit of a hike at the top end!
How have I missed so many of these updates in the last week. Why don't you try another bolt from the rear subframe things.

172 Cage!! Quick, get it in. If Lauren doesn't go nuts mines going in this weekend......
Ha, cage won't be going in until after my first track day unfortunately. I want to get it all in at the same time as my bucket seats and harnesses but I'm pretty sure I won't have the time to do it before April 3rd [emoji20]

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
uploadfromtaptalk1426933274527.jpg

Thats the AFR graph from the rollers. Runs about what I expected up until 6k rpm but then shifts quite rich, which ties in with where the power levels off at the top.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Quick video of it on the rollers today

Managed to fit my new throttle cable this afternoon too. What a difference being able to actually control it at low revs now lol! Although I miss my makeshift cruise control I could get from the cable sticking and holding it at speed 😞

Polished my headlights on this and the dci too, massive difference again even though I only done them a few months ago! All in all, another good day and one step closer to getting it on track.

Got some much needed brake fluid on order from @George@RTR_Parts and some spark plugs too for good measure. Once the fluid is changed I'll be pretty much ready for track. Should probably get it booked now... 😂

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
New dogbone mount arrived today

IMG_20150327_145747_zpsuuijbpuf.jpg

Fitting it went well...as soon as I started, I managed to do this to my 16mm spanner...
Little comparison of the old and new mount too

IMG_20150327_152222_zpsoai7hds8.jpg

Halfrauds lifetime guarantee ftw though, getting it replaced when they get stock in. Used the ratchet side and it done the job for today.

Aaaand all fitted

IMG_20150327_153302_zpst57ram7f.jpg

Took longer to jack the car up than it did to fit it! I'll be honest, when I started the car after fitting it I thought I'd broken something 😂 there's a LOT of vibration, but it should settle down a bit with some use. Pleased with the stiffened up gear changes and general lack of engine movement though.

In other news, I'm booked in for full alignment next Thursday, and booked on an open pit lane event on the Friday night. Fingers crossed all goes well.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
shame about the spanner! That is the beauty of halfords tools though, just can't beat that guarantee for the price.
Such a cheap track evening!! want that here please

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
shame about the spanner! That is the beauty of halfords tools though, just can't beat that guarantee for the price.
Such a cheap track evening!! want that here please
Typical that they never had a 16mm ratchet spanner in stock though! Got 2 weeks to wait on a replacement lol!
How much are track evenings down your neck of the woods? :fearscream: I'm sure £75 is up a fair bit from last year's prices too.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
First track evening down, f**king loved it! Whole 2 hour session went relatively well. Started off slowly with the help of @Fraser.J. then just built up pace as the session went on. Managed to shave 10 seconds off my times from start to finish, so as much as I'm not wanting to chase specific lap times, it's good to be able to see improvements.

My brake setup DEFINITELY needs upgraded now though. I got some ATE fluid off @George@RTR_Parts not long ago, so got that in the car yesterday. Also pulled my fogs and arch liners out to help a little with brake cooling, but I was happy with just going out on standard discs and pads. It's what was on the car when I bought it, and both the pads and discs were pretty new looking. They lasted alright, and I wasn't exactly going for any heroics on the brakes either, but I was halfway through a run and just caught something out of the corner of my eye when braking. Never thought anything of it but noticed the brakes starting to fade not long after, so done a cool down lap and came in, only to be shown this picture!

11137738_964256950259858_1592769956_o.jpg

Fair to say, the brakes took a bit of a pounding lol! Ended the session with them doing it on pretty much every braking point, even done it a little when I was doing cool down laps. The pad material on that passenger side had went white, and the ones on the drivers side had started to go a brownish orange colour. No idea what that meant but I'll be taking them off for a look tomorrow.

So apart from a shagged set of pads and discs, the evening went well! I'll see if there's any other photos and put them up. Also got a few videos with my dashcam so might upload a couple of laps.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Couple more pics from tonight.

11100782_964261980259355_305988344_o.jpg

Almost see the brakes glowing again in this one
11087211_964256346926585_458744380_o.jpg

Quite far away this one, but I like it because I'm pretty sure I passed him a couple of corners later 😂
11065957_964262913592595_1046348708_o.jpg

Darkness drew in quickly as the session came to a close. Went back out with half an hour to go and needed lights lol, so these photos are all a bit dull.
11065549_964257433593143_1214176278_o.jpg

11103720_964274366924783_210942852_o.jpg

Aaaanndd some more sparking brakes lol!
11122308_964274506924769_743430831_o.jpg

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Had a look today at what state I'd left my front brakes in after last night. Surprisingly there was still a decent bit of pad left. I noticed once I had everything off though that my caliper sliders were sticking on both sides. More so on the passenger side. Got another set of calipers there ready to be refurbed and put on so that'll be getting done soon.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

Front left pads:
IMG_20150404_130452-COLLAGE_zpsxwtxoeee.jpg

Front left disc:
IMG_20150404_130325-COLLAGE_zpsb1lz6ely.jpg

Front right pads:
IMG_20150404_131922-COLLAGE_zps2mm3qqls.jpg

Front right disc:
IMG_20150404_131825-COLLAGE_zpsxcagtp3x.jpg

I've no idea what's went on with the pads, but you can see both the outer ones have turned a different colour. Left side outer one has went white/grey, and the right side outer one has went orangey.

Discs seem scored to f**k though lol, but I don't know if that's just pad deposits and would clear with a couple of harder braking runs.

Now for the tyres. I arrived with them at 31psi cold. After a session they'd went up to about 36 hot so I dropped them back to around 32 and ran them at or around that the rest of the evening, which resulted in this:

IMG_20150404_132945-COLLAGE_zps2iqnq9yy.jpg

The right hardly got touched which I expected at a track like knockhill, but the left one started to scrub a little. Better view here of the wear on the left hand one:

IMG_20150404_125637_zpsqxb2hqyh.jpg

Can see it starting to run over onto the sidewall slightly. Not sure if higher pressures would've sorted that, but it gripped well as it was, so I just left it. In fact it never really under-steered at all the whole night.

Generally impressed with how the car went, and how it's faired up the day after!

My only problem is a vibration coming from the car under acceleration from about 50-70mph. I hadn't realised how bad it was until I had it on track, and had hoped it was an unbalanced or slightly buckled wheel but after a look today I think it's my driveshaft 😧

Got a quick video of the movement in the n/s one

I'll get that fired into a different thread though to get some ideas, as it doesn't look good to me!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Large boxes arrived today...

uploadfromtaptalk1428955975229.jpg

Oooh, new shiny things

uploadfromtaptalk1428956012619.jpg

Can't wait to get them fitted and get the harnesses in. Only problem now is my harnesses will bolt to the floor when I have a cage sitting with harness bars on it! Will be on the lookout for proper 4 points at some point probably.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Look nice, comfy too?

Looks good on track, brakes are nice too lol. Some epic photos though!
Yep! Feel pretty comfy from a quick seat in them anyway. Nice and snug too.

I do love the brake photos, but the fact that's basically the discs crying out for help isn't so good lol! They performed well enough but must have been cheap shitty discs or pads to spark like that!

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Yep! Feel pretty comfy from a quick seat in them anyway. Nice and snug too.

I do love the brake photos, but the fact that's basically the discs crying out for help isn't so good lol! They performed well enough but must have been cheap shitty discs or pads to spark like that!
looking good mate, the seats will make a massive difference in the car. good to see progress! :smile:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
uploadfromtaptalk1429286575611.jpg

Progress! Decided the cage needed painting before it rusted away sitting outside [emoji23]

Will be going satin black. Well, if I have enough paint... On the second can of primer lol and I only got two cans of paint so I'm pretty certain I'll run out!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Those seats are great for the money, I've got one too! They must be selling a s**t loads atm

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Those seats are great for the money, I've got one too! They must be selling a s**t loads atm
Yeah they must be making a mint on them! There's loads of people getting them now
seats look so good man, so cheap too. But think they're too high with OMP subframes?
Aye, they're not as low as most bucket seats but a decent bit lower than standard, so that suits me. Not got them in yet but I've sat in a car with them on OMP subframes. I'll probably be taking the runners out them anyway so that'll bring them down a little.

Just need to work out how I'm bolting my harnesses in before I can get everything fitted!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I hate OMP frames so s**t and expensive! I also have one though ;)

What's the problem with the harnesses? You will need different eye bolts for the side two.

I can get you links to ones that will work if you want just drop me a pm to remind me! I have one in the edge of the car where the original belts went and a long eye bolt bolting the frame to the car along with acting as an eye, works well!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I hate OMP frames so s**t and expensive! I also have one though :wink:

What's the problem with the harnesses? You will need different eye bolts for the side two but aren't you attaching them to your cage?
Lol! Yeah, I got the pair for under 100 quid new so can't complain really. I'd heard they're a bit s**t though 😂

Just need to get the mounting point sorted for the side nearest the handbrake. Not got a plate to screw the eye bolt into yet. As for the rear... I bought 3 point's on here a while back before I planned on even getting a cage, so I'll use them for now just bolted to the rear seatbelt point, but some decent 4 points will be coming soon I think. No point in having harness bars and not using them!