ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's ph1 172 track project (maybe)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Another slightly impulse purchase tonight...been out and bought these that came up for sale local to me:

IMG_20150914_215449.jpg

Also had a works day/night out on Friday. I don't remember much, but when I woke up the following morning I'd won a flocked dash top on eBay 😂 Fairly cheap too which was a bonus! That should hopefully be getting delivered sometime this week so I'll probably crack on with fitting it at the weekend if it does.

I'll more than likely fire on with fitting the engine mounts tomorrow night if it's not raining. I'm assuming they're simple enough to fit and just a case of swapping over with my old ones while supporting the engine.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Got my engine mounts on the other night. Engine one was easy enough but the gearbox proved a pain in the arse when I couldn't find an 18mm deep socket, and Halfords etc don't sell them. Found a socket eventually though and got it done the following night.

IMG_20150917_185054.jpg

Most things rattle inside the car now... An excuse to remove more interior panels I guess! Not as big a difference as I thought there would be but my old mounts did seem in good condition tbf.

Also decided to extend my sunstrip, just because... So, duct tape... 😂

IMG_20150917_185240.jpg

IMG_20150917_185144.jpg

And another photo for good measure, because ASW

IMG_20150917_185157~2.jpg

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Time for a little update. My flocked dash arrived on Friday. Well, half of it. There's no centre section to it or little storage bit where the passenger airbag is. Both of which looked to be included. I did get it cheap but I'm still not too happy about it.

Freshly unwrapped!
82e48e5fad7edd5d7cf896cf551d3c85.jpg

Fitted it anyway, so it now has an unflocked airbag, and I've used my old centre bit for now.

Also started removing all the tar and sound deadening in the rear, which resulted in a 'f**k it' attitude leading to me removing the whole front carpets too and starting on the tar under there.

Got a good bit done today. Just the passenger side tar left to do, and the bits on the centre console in front of the handbrake.

cde1096f73e2a85a3ba1311abe220e26.jpg

ad3593eab609cc596e5c95e43fd534a7.jpg

Nice and clean behind the seats!
ef944a14e696951bd882c392795b92d3.jpg

Aaand the s**t ton of stuff that came out the front. Never realised how much weight was in it
30f2191a2dff223e2f0aa3649b0ae578.jpg

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Been looking into lightened flywheels recently. Really tempted to try one out as I'm planning on getting my spare gearbox refurbed and fitted with a new clutch for next year anyway.

Anyone had one before? Are they a worthwhile mod for clios?

Been looking into lightened flywheels recently. Really tempted to try one out as I'm planning on getting my spare gearbox refurbed and fitted with a new clutch for next year anyway.

I got mine done when doing a new clutch and would say one of the best mods I've done and noticed the difference,

Used to take 4th at the checkered flag but now take it just after the pit entrance.

Felt the difference and I had only done the flywheel and stripped it a bit more at the time by taking door cards n that off. So not as if the car was feeling quicker due to other work/mods.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I got mine done when doing a new clutch and would say one of the best mods I've done and noticed the difference,

Used to take 4th at the checkered flag but now take it just after the pit entrance.

Felt the difference and I had only done the flywheel and stripped it a bit more at the time by taking door cards n that off. So not as if the car was feeling quicker due to other work/mods.

That's quite noticeable then! I'm shifting to 4th about the same point. Hopefully with that, plus removing the aircon and power steering pump from the aux setup it'll make a fairly big difference.
I can supply the flywheels if your interested @sburrell93
Yup, it was your posts that made me look into them a bit more [emoji85] [emoji23] I figure it's not much extra cost or hassle if everything's in bits anyway. Or at least that's how I'm trying to justify it lol!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
How easy is it to remove the tar stuff? I need to do it on mine before I paint the interior, which I want to start later this month

Also like your attitude in removing the front carpets! That's how I removed mine, I was doing another job and decided the front carpets needed a clean so I removed them

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

Yes boi! I've had one in two different Clios and it's certainly worth it. Teamed with no A/C it makes a decent difference. Engine revs much more freely. I'm also going to be getting one when I can afford it.

Car is of course looking very well!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
How easy is it to remove the tar stuff? I need to do it on mine before I paint the interior, which I want to start later this month

Also like your attitude in removing the front carpets! That's how I removed mine, I was doing another job and decided the front carpets needed a clean so I removed them
It's not that hard really, its just a tedious job! Get a heat gun and wallpaper scraper and you'll get most of it off. Then what's left over spray with tar remover and it'll wipe clean.

Just don't burn yourself with the heat gun like I did lol! Made a point of wearing gloves after that...

Yes boi! I've had one in two different Clios and it's certainly worth it. Teamed with no A/C it makes a decent difference. Engine revs much more freely. I'm also going to be getting one when I can afford it.

Car is of course looking very well!

Awesome! Sounds like a good plan for over winter then. I think I'll probably just remove the A/C and power steering at once tbh, saves changing the aux belt twice. Then worry about the EPAS conversion later.

Cheers mate [emoji4]

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm coming through to Falkirk this afternoon and stayin until tomorrow, want me to bring those harnesses and you can see what you think?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Done some gear linkage modification last night since I'm too poor to go buy a new PMS shifter and I refuse to settle for anything less unless it's free.

Cue the linkage meeting a hacksaw... Resulting in this now being 3rd gear:
uploadfromtaptalk1444317396835.jpg

And this being 4th:
uploadfromtaptalk1444317429044.jpg

Quite an improvement for 15 minutes work with a spanner and a hacksaw.

Also got my new harnesses fitted, but no photos. If anyone is after a set of 3 point harnesses I'll have my old set for sale soon.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well, today I found this :fearscream:

IMG_20151024_152441.jpg

Was still holding out a bit of hope that I'd get a space on tomorrows track day but with that I think I'll be giving it a miss now even if I do get a call saying I have a space 😞

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Well, today I found this :fearscream:

View attachment 139111

Was still holding out a bit of hope that I'd get a space on tomorrows track day but with that I think I'll be giving it a miss now even if I do get a call saying I have a space 😞
Those will be fine, my old ones were like that over the whole discs..... You've got months of heating and cooling left in them
WP_20151010_009.jpg

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That's good to know they're still alright Craig, cheers! I was a little worried when I saw them haha.

Never heard anything from KH anyway so looks like I won't be getting a space for tomorrow. Will still more than likely come up to watch though.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
That's good to know they're still alright Craig, cheers! I was a little worried when I saw them haha.

Never heard anything from KH anyway so looks like I won't be getting a space for tomorrow. Will still more than likely come up to watch though.
Just get there early with the Clio and let them know you're there, at least if there's a no show you're on hand ?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well after dragging myself up to knockhill early yesterday morning with no guarantee of a space on track, it actually paid off. A guy's clutch went early on in the day which meant a space was free for me to get on. Was a bargain too, only costing me 50 quid for just over a half day!

Car ran really surprisingly well. I swapped my AD08's front and rear on Saturday meaning the fronts were fresh but the rears only had about 2mm of tread left so I was a little worried it'd be tail happy but it felt planted all day.

Had also had a play with my toe settings on Saturday too. I've no idea what they're set at now but I think I'll need to get it checked and keep a note of it as the car felt like it handled the best it has all year.

So after squeezing in about 70 laps yesterday, I had managed to set my best time ever, a 63.09, which I'm pretty happy with. Harry's lap timer was giving me a virtual best of 60.71 but I can't see me getting that any time soon. Good place to aim for next year though.

Don't think I'll be doing much more the rest of this year, my gearbox won't take it! Instead I think I'll start getting the front end stripped down and bushes changed, new wishbones, remove ac and stuff, few upgrades etc. and get my spare box sent away for a refurb too.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Nothing much to update. Car is currently sitting in the drive wounded after I hit a deer in it the other week. Got VERY lucky tbh, only hit it doing probably 50mph at the most and it was a fairly small deer. Would usually have been going a lot faster on that stretch of road too, but was taking it easy that night.

IMG_20151031_104508.jpg

Damage could be worse. That's the worst of it in that photo. Smashed the n/s headlight, bonnet is dented around the diamond, popped the wing out of place, and the bumper is now covered in little stress cracks but still in one piece. Not had anything off yet to get a proper look underneath the panels but I can already see the bumper mounting brackets are completely bent out of shape. Will probably just aerocatch the bumper or something if they're fucked though! Apart from the headlight, I didn't really plan on replacing or repairing anything since it's only a track car, but an alloy bonnet has come up local, so what better an excuse than to replace one with a dent in it!

Nothing much to update. Car is currently sitting in the drive wounded after I hit a deer in it the other week. Got VERY lucky tbh, only hit it doing probably 50mph at the most and it was a fairly small deer. Would usually have been going a lot faster on that stretch of road too, but was taking it easy that night.

View attachment 140431

Damage could be worse. That's the worst of it in that photo. Smashed the n/s headlight, bonnet is dented around the diamond, popped the wing out of place, and the bumper is now covered in little stress cracks but still in one piece. Not had anything off yet to get a proper look underneath the panels but I can already see the bumper mounting brackets are completely bent out of shape. Will probably just aerocatch the bumper or something if they're fucked though! Apart from the headlight, I didn't really plan on replacing or repairing anything since it's only a track car, but an alloy bonnet has come up local, so what better an excuse than to replace one with a dent in it!
Ouch where about did that happen man? Mines going in for some paint to the roof next week then getting sorned for the winter so i can get the suspension refresh done

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
New shiny parts arrived yesterday in the form of a lightweight flywheel! Cheers to @Fraser.J. for organising a group buy for a few of us locally on this.

IMG_20151124_074147.jpg

Trying to convince myself it was worth buying now 😂

In other news, got myself an aluminium bonnet and a spare headlight to replace my one that took the hit from the deer. Also bought a set of x-low seat subframes from @JON FOZ on here. Expecting those to arrive today going by the tracking info (brilliant service from him for anyone reading and considering them).

Hopefully have the car up and running again by the weekend. No plans to start stripping anything until mid December now as I've got a rolling road day to go to in it in a few weeks.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Update time! Few interesting developments in the last two weeks.

There's a photo a couple pages back of the rust I found in my sills. I've decided that there's no point in attempting to repair it so I'll be scrapping the shell soon It's unfortunate, but it looked like it'd take a lot of cutting and welding to properly repair and just didn't seem worth it.

Not all bad news though. I'll be picking up another shell very soon, which has a few very nice upgrades on it. Its been on here for a while now too so some may recognise it.

Little bit of a teaser photo for now

uploadfromtaptalk1449497045615.jpeg

Will update more in the coming weeks!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That's sad to hear, but I know the feeling mate haha feels like de ja vu reading this!
Yeah it's a bit gutting I'll have to scrap this shell but onwards and upwards! First track car and all that, expected it to go out in a blaze of glory (a crash) 😂

Looking forward to the challenge of moving everything over to the new shell when I get it. Most in depth thing I've done so far is only a gearbox change, and I got a lot of help with that!

Yeah it's a bit gutting I'll have to scrap this shell but onwards and upwards! First track car and all that, expected it to go out in a blaze of glory (a crash) 😂

Looking forward to the challenge of moving everything over to the new shell when I get it. Most in depth thing I've done so far is only a gearbox change, and I got a lot of help with that!
It's great fun bud! if you've got time and the space it's great. If you need any help look at my progress thread (actually it's not that indepth as I forget to take pics)

But yeah just holla if you need any help, as I have just finished re shelling my ph1 into my 182 :)

Good luck