ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's ph1 172 track project (maybe)

Not sure as it never had one when I got it and I put one in as it was Baltic. Doesn't even take long.

Dash also comes out a piece of piss as its cut in half behind the clocks and under the steering column.

Just had a look at the "track" shared album and when it's on the forklift you can see right through the hole and there isn't one :blush:

They actually got nothing bar the handbrake lol

IMG_8151.JPG

And where the dash splits.

IMG_8155.JPG

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thank f**k that dash comes out easy then. I'm lazy and impatient, which was half the problem taking the old one out!

Gives a shout if your needing any wiring diagrams mate.
Cheers mate, I've got the system for them all but it's kind of hit or miss with what diagrams are applicable to what models so will keep that in mind!

PH1s are pretty hit and miss whether the ABS lights pops up when you remove them, my ABS is gone and with no warning light.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
PH1s are pretty hit and miss whether the ABS lights pops up when you remove them, my ABS is gone and with no warning light.
Weird! Both I've seen have the ABS lights and the STOP and handbrake lights on. Have you completely done away with the full ABS loom from the fuse box to the multiplug on the pump and abs sensors?

Weird! Both I've seen have the ABS lights and the STOP and handbrake lights on. Have you completely done away with the full ABS loom from the fuse box to the multiplug on the pump and abs sensors?

Ohhh yeah! although snipped the wires at the hubs as cba to remove the sensor from the hub! haha

andd yeah I've got the stop and handbrake light on because I've removed the handbrake wires and the airbag light is on causing the stop light to come on.. but no ABS light on.

Gonna start pulling some bulbs I think.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ohhh yeah! although snipped the wires at the hubs as cba to remove the sensor from the hub! haha

andd yeah I've got the stop and handbrake light on because I've removed the handbrake wires and the airbag light is on causing the stop light to come on.. but no ABS light on.

Gonna start pulling some bulbs I think.

Hmm, I'll hope for the best then lol!

You should be able to bridge a couple of wires behind the dash to get rid of the stop and handbrake light I think btw, going from what I could make out on the wiring diagrams anyway.

A couple you say.. any more specific? ;)

Yeah I've had a play earthing a few wires from the airbag eco with my electrical probe with no luck.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
A couple you say.. any more specific? ;)

Yeah I've had a play earthing a few wires from the airbag eco with my electrical probe with no luck.
Not got the diagrams to have a look at just now but I THINK you just need to make sure the wire that used to go to the handbrake is earthed. Looks like the handbrake switch is just a simple make/break which breaks the circuit when you lift the handbrake and throws up the light.

That wire should go all the way back to the main bulkhead connector. Not sure how far back you've cut it.

Ohhh right, I doubt I would of cut it far back tbh as I haven't properly sorted the wires on it yet, and don't have the foggiest of what wire it was.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ohhh right, I doubt I would of cut it far back tbh as I haven't properly sorted the wires on it yet, and don't have the foggiest of what wire it was.
Lol! Well if you can't find the wire, it connects into the clocks so once I find the right pinout, could just cut that wire in the loom and earth it behind the dash (providing it actually works anyway!)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Been a productive day! Got the heater matrix all transferred over and connected up, sorted out some wiring in the car, fitted everything under the scuttle panel like the wiper linkage and blower motor etc and sorted out my heated screen wiring so that just needs a few final connections on it.

More importantly though, it started up for the first time! Although it took about 5 attempts! 😂

First attempt went a bit like this...

Not gonna lie, with the speed it turned over and the sound it had with just the manifold on I s**t myself because it sounded kinda similar to an engine with no compression. Turns out it was just down to me using a battery on it that was designed to start a 2.2L diesel LOL.

So yeah, first issue was the key and decoder barrel were mismatched so immob light was flashing, then the fuel pump wouldn't prime (loose wire), then we realised the UCH needed swapped over with the ECU. Done that and it fired up straight away! It was f**king loud as well. Turns out only having the manifold on is a great way to wake up anyone in the nearby streets 😂

Anyway, the actual start video!

Feels pretty revvy with the lightweight fly. Can't wait to get it driving and on the road now!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not holding back on this are you Stu! All guns blazing!
Needs finished for the end of the month lol, no time to waste! Couple of things left to do yet but hopefully I'll have it driving next weekend.

Only big issue just now is the fact the original seat mounting points have been removed and the ones in place are designed for cup racer side mounts. Mine don't fit so I have no way of getting a seat into it just now lol

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
We have cup racer side mounts....

But can't remember how tall you are! They've been cut down and Dave was too far away by miles. You're welcome to try them and buy if they work and return them if they don't

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
We have cup racer side mounts....

But can't remember how tall you are! They've been cut down and Dave was too far away by miles. You're welcome to try them and buy if they work and return them if they don't

Somewhere between you and Dave lol. About 5'10".

I'm thinking of trying to make something work with the sliders I have for my seats. If I can get them to fit, even with making up some sort of adaptor plates it'll hopefully bring me in close enough to reach the pedals!

If not though I'll probably grab the side mounts from you and give those a go!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks to @rctempire for the UCH advise ehh. @sburrell93

Glad its working, will be good for the season coming soon.
😂😂 I'd have worked it out eventually...you just sped up the process! Can't believe I never thought of that first when it never started tbh.

Aye be interesting to see how different it is now it's basically a new car. Gonna book up the evening on the 4th April for it's first proper outing. Not long to go now.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Forgot I done some work last night. Fitted the radiator, got coolant into it and got the other driveshaft on so it actually moves now. Got some photos too!

Heater matrix in place. Need to relocate some wiring to make the dash fit again
IMG_20160313_173726.jpg

Temporary drivers seat...
IMG_20160314_182215.jpg

Radiator etc all in place
IMG_20160314_180803.jpg

Looking like a finished car once again!
IMG_20160314_182127-01.jpeg

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like my idea of waiting a few months to buy new coilovers might be out the window. Kam racing are currently offering 10% off all BC coilover kits with free delivery and custom spring rates. Payday today as well ffs. So tempting!

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Looks like my idea of waiting a few months to buy new coilovers might be out the window. Kam racing are currently offering 10% off all BC coilover kits with free delivery and custom spring rates. Payday today as well ffs. So tempting!
Dae it!!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That's a sign from the car gods.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
LOL, I've emailed them to see if the custom spring rates includes the dampers being matched too. If it does I can see myself buying them. Not got a f**king clue what to go for with spring rates though!

Cup In bits
Looking good, anthracite vinyl strip up where the b pillar is and up over the roof and that will look the part.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I think gold willys make more sense...
Gold willys?
31a59b689c7feec5c35940e4cad09795.jpg

Looking good, anthracite vinyl strip up where the b pillar is and up over the roof and that will look the part.
Cheers. I went straight for the expensive option and decided I wanted it all painted flame red when I first got it lol! All depends on cost really. Vinyl is a nice cheap alternative and could still look good.

That's a couple months down the line yet though. Going to get a few track days in before then just as it is.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Your not hanging around with this mate, good work!

Morgan I was looking at your thread the other day, what's the colour you went for in your interior paint? Mines getting done next couple of weeks I'm thinking this over white!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Got a reply back from Kam racing this morning. Apparently BC will revalve the dampers to suit any custom spring rates.

They pretty much said they'd recommend GAZ Golds over BC's for a dedicated track car though as they can provide custom springs all round for those since they've got the rear coilover units, unlike the BC's which are rear springs and shocks with only one spring rate.

Only thing that annoys me about the GAZ ones is the fact the damping adjustment is from underneath and not on the top of the struts! They're starting to seem like the better option though. @Mash. can you still get a good deal on these?

Thanks mate, no time to waste! Organising an event on here for a drive out at the start of April when I didn't even have an engine in my car probably wasn't my wisest idea 😂

I can indeed mate, silverlining about the location of the golds damping they're accessible from underneath without jacking up the car, even with a low car.

£750 Delivered, custom spring rates, rear coilover unit and black oxide coating

Cup In bits

Morgan I was looking at your thread the other day, what's the colour you went for in your interior paint? Mines getting done next couple of weeks I'm thinking this over white!

It's a Honda colour, I'm pretty sure it's the same colour as my first car a Civic EK. Athlete Gray metallic is the name I think, I just looked through flip charts until I found a colour steering clear of any paints with pearl in there to cheapen it up. The colour itself changes quite a bit in light.

I could get you the paint code as I'm sure the painter has it written in his wall.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I can indeed mate, silverlining about the location of the golds damping they're accessible from underneath without jacking up the car, even with a low car.

£750 Delivered, custom spring rates, rear coilover unit and black oxide coating
Yeah but they aren't at the top, so require kneeling down, and I'm lazy 😂

Excellent mate, I'll have to see what I can afford this month but will probably be in touch soon then!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well... not updated this in a wee while now. It's all just little jobs here and there to do now and it seems to be taking a f**king age! I got fed up with it the other week though and not much has really been done. After seeing a few mates getting their winter projects back on the road though it's made me want to get this finished!

Sorted out a few little bits so far. Filled it properly with coolant, got the cat to manifold join fitted properly with a new gasket kit, made up a little bracket from the old slam panel to hold the radiator in place, swapped my cup spoiler, swapped the door locks. All just little things that take up loads of time!

Dropped both front hubs off at a local garage to fit me new bearings as I don't have the time now to be doing them myself, since I've booked it's MOT for Friday in order to get it ready for the drive out I've got planned on here for the Saturday lol! Be a good test for the car that day.

Before then I still have to do an oil change, weld in a seat mount setup (@Djw John cheers for letting us try those cup racer mounts but I'm going to weld back in a mounting point in the original position and use the subframes I have), fit seats, harnesses, wipers, refit hubs with new bearings, new discs and pads all round, bleed the brakes, refit my front ARB (lost the bushes when I had it all off, now I have the wonderful job of fitting inner bushes with the subframe etc in place!), spanner check everything, give all the usual MOT items a quick check over and finally get new number plates made up for it! It's going to be a busy couple of days LOL.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Been a long two days but I've made it! Car is ready to go for it's MOT tomorrow.

Wednesday night was spent getting the original mounting point welded back into the car to fit my subframes onto. Only had a gasless MIG welder available but it's still turned out OK. Didn't run a weld the full way along the rail thing, just enough to be secure and safe. Didn't have much choice really as after a while we managed to set a fairly large amount of underseal on fire under the car that wasn't exactly miles from the fuel lines 😂😂. Called it a day at that!

IMG_20160330_194040.jpg

Today was hectic to say the least. Started off getting my seat in place and mounting the harness properly. Then spent the rest of the morning attempting the inner ARB bushes (powerflex black series ones). f**k. Me. What a horrendous job. Got one side in using a big pry bar to lever it in place. The other side I just admitted defeat and used a long ass bolt to pull it in. I never want to do a set of those again in my life!

Didn't exactly start the day looking like a car ready for an MOT...lol
IMG_20160331_122811.jpg

Rear brakes were next up as I still didn't have my front hubs back with new bearings. Rear discs and pads all went on fairly easy. Shiny! P.S. Yes I am in dire need of a wheel refurb!
IMG_20160331_195945.jpg

Went away and collected the front hubs and got some number plates made up, got a text while I was out saying my brake pads had arrived.

Decided to step up from the RC5's I had last year!
IMG_20160331_174158.jpg

Picked those up on my way back and got cracking with the front end. Hubs refitted, discs and pads on surprisingly easy again. Piston pushed back so easily compared with the last time I changed my pads. Fitting them took all of about 30 seconds!

IMG_20160331_174212.jpg

Final things to do after that were all just little annoying things. Had to fit a couple of bulbs, rewire the rear number plate light back up, check all my lights, top up the oil (still due a service), basic spanner check of everything (feel like I've definitely missed things), adjust the gear linkage, fit the wipers and pipe up the washer jets. It's finally done though, back on the road wheels and sitting on all 4 of them for once!

IMG_20160331_195926.jpg

Just need to phone up Greenlight to sort insurance in the morning and tax it and it's ready to go. Ideally it still needs the alignment done but I'll get it running fairly straight by eye for now, until I refit the camber bolts and get my PMS top mounts on, then it can get proper alignment done.

Track night booked for Monday but I'll really just be using it to learn the car again and make sure it's running right and all back in one piece properly, so not fussed about getting it all properly set up etc before then. Although tbh, I just can't wait to get back out in it. Been off the road for too long!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well done!
But let me get this right, the shakedown for the entire rebuild is not tomorrow, drive up north on Sat and track day Monday? Good luck!