ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sburrell's ph1 172 track project (maybe)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well done!
But let me get this right, the shakedown for the entire rebuild is not tomorrow, drive up north on Sat and track day Monday? Good luck!
Indeed! Might as well throw myself in the deep end...

In all seriousness though there could be a good chance I cancel the track night depending on how it runs over the weekend. I'll have it out and about tomorrow though just to hopefully find any little issues sooner rather than later, because there probably will be one or two!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh dear
IMG_20160402_160132.jpg

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Hope that's nothing serious mate...... !

Ps I love how you have blended that two tone paint job, the subtle fade from red to silver is hardly noticeable FLOL ;)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Suspected alternator failure. Was majorly fucked off with it earlier when it happened but looking back now at least it was nothing major. It's put a halt on Mondays track night I'm booked on for though, unless I can find a cup alternator within the next two days!

Apart from that the car actually ran really well today.

Also yep, the colours are so seamless you'd never notice eh Craig! 😂😂 Needs painted soon lol.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Suspected alternator failure. Was majorly fucked off with it earlier when it happened but looking back now at least it was nothing major. It's put a halt on Mondays track night I'm booked on for though, unless I can find a cup alternator within the next two days!

Apart from that the car actually ran really well today.

Also yep, the colours are so seamless you'd never notice eh Craig! 😂😂 Needs painted soon lol.
At least it's nothing major mate, can understand your frustration though..... ! It has a nice stance though, looks like it sits perfectly :up: Monday night happening?

I take it red will win over silver.......?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
At least it's nothing major mate, can understand your frustration though..... ! It has a nice stance though, looks like it sits perfectly :up: Monday night happening?

I take it red will win over silver.......?
Yeah it's sitting not bad. Its rubbing a bit at the back though. Nah I won't be making it now, so selling my space on. Could've maybe pushed to make it but it was just a test day really and yesterday proved the car was all running ok (besides the alternator!) so I'll probably just get booked up for the full day in a couple of weeks.

Speaking of which, currently got the alternator in bits trying to test to see if it can be sorted.
You should split it and sell it on.
Wanna buy it?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Deal. I'll get the wheels off in the morning and leave it on a pallet like you're used to 😂

Got progress on the alternator situation though. Not sure if it's happened since I've fitted it or if it was always knackered, but it seems like it's fried the electronics inside. The windings are all good though, so I'll pull apart the old non cup alternator tomorrow and replace the broken bit in the cup one. Unfortunately I now need a new battery too!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm not sure. We never managed to check it with the engine running, but after dismantling it and testing the diodes in the rectifier circuit, there was one giving dodgy readings so I'd assume it was goosed. Which is slightly worrying actually as in theory it means it could've backfed power through the ECU or anything and caused damage. I'm assuming it's all fine though as it ran fine until the battery died.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Nothing much to update, but the car runs again! Got the alternator sorted and refitted last night, and a new battery on with it too. Alternator is putting out a steady current and isn't getting anywhere near as hot as before! Came to the conclusion that the positive terminal on the alternator being a bit rusted overloaded it and caused the failure. Stupid thing to overlook when I put it all back together initially, but it's not cost too much thankfully.

Booked on for tomorrow's track night at Knockhill, so we'll see how the car performs then. Need to get an oil change done tonight, sort the alignment and get the fuel gauge working again (hopefully just a bad connection somewhere!) then it'll be good to go.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I think it's time to lose the last word of the title.....
Make sure you get some good snaps of tomorrow!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
First track session done! It went well, almost too well... Nearly matching my pace from last year which I'm impressed with considering its had the wheel alignment done using the "f**k it, that'll do" method and I was only on my AD08R's, which have probably seen better days.

Still getting to grips with not having ABS. Had a few lock ups but nothing major. Next big thing will probably be to plumb in a bias valve for a bit more control. No power steering is hard work too, but the feedback through the wheel is brilliant.

Apart from that, the car went well without any issues!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
First track session done! It went well, almost too well... Nearly matching my pace from last year which I'm impressed with considering its had the wheel alignment done using the "f**k it, that'll do" method and I was only on my AD08R's, which have probably seen better days.

Still getting to grips with not having ABS. Had a few lock ups but nothing major. Next big thing will probably be to plumb in a bias valve for a bit more control. No power steering is hard work too, but the feedback through the wheel is brilliant.

Apart from that, the car went well without any issues!

Very happy to hear it! Were there any photographers? Was it a KH night or private?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
certainly plenty clio's in SLS this year, across 3 different classes. should make for some interesting viewing for those like yourself and me who may do SLS in the future

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Finally done another track evening. Broke it again. This time it's only looking like a loose connection on the starter luckily!

Track night went well apart from that. Fired on my track wheels with A048's for it since it was dry and warm. Not sure how much more grip I really felt with them over the AD08r's but I had played about with the alignment beforehand and really need to get it done properly rather than running it with my 'measured by eye' setups 😂

Back out again next Thursday, then I'm hoping to get it in for paint in time for CSF.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
IMG_20160829_195810.jpg

Quality night tonight with the CSOC track night. Took me all year but the car finally feels like it should on track and I'm back to the pace I had last year. Not bad considering I'm still getting used to no ABS or power steering, and I've only ever done the wheel alignment by guessing lol. Slowly been losing faith with it and had considered selling this year tbh, but tonight has changed my mind!

Doubt I'll do another track day this year though. Get it off the road soon and sort it properly to the way I want it for early next year!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well, that's it for another year. No idea where the last 6 months have gone, but the car took it's last drive on Friday and is now tucked away for winter. Poor effort this year only managing 3 track days but I'm hoping to crack on with some much needed work over winter and have it back out next year fully prepared and the way it should have been this year!

Basic plans for over winter are:
New coilovers (thinking GAZ Golds but open to suggestions)
Fit the camber bolts and PMS top mounts I've had lying around for a year now
Proper alignment setup
Get some of the cage re-welded and make some adjustments to it
Touch up/respray the interior
DIY Refurb or powdercoat alloys
Get the car painted fully flame red (finally)
Maybe a PMS Shifter

And finally, refit some door speakers, window runners, and my poly door cards I've had for a year. I have no plans to compete in the car and I'd much rather sacrifice a few kg to have some creature comforts and make the car nicer to use throughout the summer on road and track.

Hopefully be updating this a little more often now with progress on the above!

Rb 182
Well, that's it for another year. No idea where the last 6 months have gone, but the car took it's last drive on Friday and is now tucked away for winter. Poor effort this year only managing 3 track days but I'm hoping to crack on with some much needed work over winter and have it back out next year fully prepared and the way it should have been this year!

Basic plans for over winter are:
New coilovers (thinking GAZ Golds but open to suggestions)
Fit the camber bolts and PMS top mounts I've had lying around for a year now
Proper alignment setup
Get some of the cage re-welded and make some adjustments to it
Touch up/respray the interior
DIY Refurb or powdercoat alloys
Get the car painted fully flame red (finally)
Maybe a PMS Shifter

And finally, refit some door speakers, window runners, and my poly door cards I've had for a year. I have no plans to compete in the car and I'd much rather sacrifice a few kg to have some creature comforts and make the car nicer to use throughout the summer on road and track.

Hopefully be updating this a little more often now with progress on the above!

Good man, making them more bearable and being able to enjoy it on the road is worth the Extra 2/3Kg's that some Speakers and leccy windows will add.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Electric Windows and a working stereo will always remain in my car. Not worth removing the 10-15kg you save

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye, I quickly realised that this year when I was sweating my balls off in about 20 degrees of heat on a track night in the height of summer lol! My blower being broken didn't help either...which reminds me I still need to wire in my heated front screen too.

I doubt I'll put a proper stereo back in it as there's stuff in it's place now but I'm thinking I'll try and wire a wee cheap amp in behind the dash with an aux connection somewhere!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Finally made a start last night to stripping some bits down again over winter. Only taken me 2 months of the car being off the road!

IMG_20161115_194137.jpg

IMG_20161115_194210.jpg

Got it jacked up and checked most stuff over. TRE's, ball joints etc are all still ok so the coilovers came off and the rest stayed. Front left shock has been weeping a bit of oil but still drove fine. New suspension going on for definite now. Just to decide between a certain set of used KW's for sale (oh hai if you're reading), or a new set of Gaz Golds. Decisions! Discs and pads are getting kept as they're pretty much still brand new.

Got underneath too and started disassembling my gear linkage, ready for a little parts delivery soon! There's a lot of oil around. Bit of oil from the gearbox/engine join (crank seal?), and the usual JC5 gearbox leaks too. If the crank seal needs sorted I'll just whip the engine out and get a whine from the gearbox looked at at the same time. Maybe paint the bay too (probably definitely cannot be arsed with this though). Front caliper refurb will be happening too.

Not much else seems to need done on the front end mechanically, so I may just crack on with the interior soon.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Should look at the new AVO suspension if your considering spending 800+ but don't want to stretch to AST money