ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung UE55D8000

Mine's not 3D mate, it's LGPK590 plasma...just interested to see how it compares
Sorry, I was directing it at Munson.

There are a few good 3D demos floating around online which are worth a watch (download and stick on a USB drive).

M3 CSL, GT4 & SL
Anyone know of any 70" tv's due out soon?

Can't go projector as flat is too light

I'm sure I read about samsung 70"

182 ff
just bought samsung ue46 d5520 with smart tec

anyone else had problems with there wii s ??? ( the components plugs are now blue green/yellow white ) need a old school scart addaptor red yellow white ones !

very happy with the telly thou

Clio 172 Cup
Nah not planning on it although I'm sure I'll end up sampling some 3D-ness before very long.

You won't be sorry the 'Mun.. I've got the 46" D7000 and it's epic. Needs some adjustments to get rid of ghosting (mainly backlight down and gamma up) - there's some good set ups posted on AVforums. I'd also recommend the OPPO BDP-93 bluray player - the most pristine pictures and handy dual HDMI outs if your amp doesn't let 3D through. Enjoy!

Polo + Micra
You won't be sorry the 'Mun.. I've got the 46" D7000 and it's epic. Needs some adjustments to get rid of ghosting (mainly backlight down and gamma up) - there's some good set ups posted on AVforums. I'd also recommend the OPPO BDP-93 bluray player - the most pristine pictures and handy dual HDMI outs if your amp doesn't let 3D through. Enjoy!

have you got a photo of the surround on the d7000? as i can't seem to find a close up of it on the net

Clio 172 Cup
have you got a photo of the surround on the d7000? as i can't seem to find a close up of it on the net

Here you go.. 5mm black surround then clear perspex bezel - not sure if this phone pic does it justice..

ukUcB.jpg

Polo + Micra
cheers mate just wondering if it is worth the extra for the 8000 as it seems this is the only difference

First impressions are OMFG. Blu-rays look utterly amazing. I was expecting that the motion wouldn't be as good as my plasma, but this tears my old Panasonic a new one. 24p motion is simply sensational. Incredible actually. Mental even. Black levels also rinse my old plasma. Very very surprised my the motion and blacks, as this is where I thought the new TV would lose out.

I've not really watched much TV yet, but the Grand Prix in HD is slick as f**k. The borderless design makes it look like the image (massive image) is just hanging in space.

Onto the downsides. I've not yet had much time to play around with the settings so these issues may turn out to be non-issues. Firstly, I have already noticed a very slight bloom of backlighting in the corners. Nothing to worry about, but seemingly a compromise. Secondly, I'm getting some nasty jerking with mkv content from an external media player. Hopefully that can be sorted.

So, plenty of playing around to do yet, but my initial impressions are extremely positive. Overall, the most impressive display I've ever seen.

...just watching some Cars Blu-ray as I type, and I'm in awe of the motion handling. Need some new superlatives, but for now, f**king awesome as f**k will have to do.

mkv motion judder update.

It doesn't matter, as I just plugged my HDD into the TV and it's playing them itself perfectly, with motion just as smooth as Blu-rays. So I no longer need my external media player. PMSL what a TV.

OM fuuuuuuuuuucking GOD. Someone please lock this thread to stop me blathering on about it. This is a BIBLICAL display. Far better than I could possibly have imagined.

The slight corner blooming seems to have gone too, and the black levels are inky with excellent shadow detail.

Holy fuuuuucking s**t!

Cupra
You can also browse the internet with them can't you? Is that any good or just a bit a gimic?
Does your TV also have the fancy touch screen remote?

Yeah apparently but I've not tried that yet. It is hooked up to my network.

No. Mine has the standard remote but I actually like it. Can use my iPhone but not tried that yet either.

Yeah apparently but I've not tried that yet. It is hooked up to my network.

No. Mine has the standard remote but I actually like it. Can use my iPhone but not tried that yet either.

If it's like mine, you'll need to cat5 the TV, then get the free app.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The fact you had to reply shows how way over your head that joke was.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The fact you had to reply shows how way over your head that joke was.

I thought jokes were supposed to be funny, my bad.

Anyway, if sizes matters, what size is the engine in your car?

Admittedly Roy will win again, but......

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just a small 1.7.. 160bhp unit.

I'm sure it turns heads for the right reasons though...

13401-MT60HFU_8.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I was aiming for the terrible plastic arches but yeah the wheels are pretty bad.

Update after extended viewing TBH.

Really impressed with the SD content on this panel. Obviously it's a bit muddy after watching HD, but for a screen of this size, it's surprisingly good.

After viewing in a pitch black room at night, I have noticed a definite compromise from plasma. As good as it is, I can notice that it's LCD. Black levels are still fantastic, but there is some ever so slightly uneven backlighting when the screen goes all black. Just the slightest hint of a silvery sheen in the corners, especially when viewed off-angle. Expected from an LCD panel TBH. Overall, the blacks, and in particular, shadow detail, are still a cut above my old Panasonic plasma. Itself no slouch. The Panny was obviously completely uniform though.

I have also noticed that it suffers from zero image retention, and no buzzing in bright scenes. A definite bonus. Also of course, no fans. Not that they were noisy in my old box. It also seems to have a colour uniformity that's much more stable with motion. Difficult to explain but I think it's probably down to a lack of phosphor trails. I had gotten used to these previously and couldn't see them at all, but I guess they were there. Different technology altogether, but this definitely looks better, and without looking unnatural like so many LCD sets I've viewed.

So overall, whilst not perfect, it is an amazing TV. I expected compromises, and I've been pleasantly surprised by them. It's sensational. 100% not disappointed in the switch to LCD. Such an incredibly good looking set too. It's like being in the future. Then there's the online features and Smart Hub. The ability to natively play HD mkv from a hard drive. The ludicrously slick motion (again, even better than my previous machine). The fact that it's wireless N also means I should happily be able to stream 1080p, although I have yet to try this. The judder from my WDTV Live box was a curious annoyance, as my old telly didn't suffer from this, but since it's completely smooth using the TV itself, I guess I can forget that one.

Part of me already wishes I'd got the 60", but this really is big enough. For now. Did I just say that? Roffle.

BTW that is definitely the worst view of the M250 :dapprove:

Update.

At the risk of talking to myself :)o), for the doubters who have to try it properly at home (I was a skeptic myself) 3D is not a gimmick. It's on a whole new level of involvement. It varies from movie to movie. Some films look overly forced, but computer animated stuff like Toy Story 3 is f**king awesome. As you've probably guessed by now, I am over the moon with this TV. It's devastatingly good. There are compromises of course, as with all TVs, but overall this has to be one of the best displays currently available in the world.

Cupra
I was always of the same opinion about 3D, until I tried it last night for the first time. I have had my Tv for ages couldn't be bothered to buy a blue ray player just for 3D... It turns out that you can also get SBS files for your media player which also work. I am not sure that I'll bother buying glasses for the rest of the family just yet, but p**n just got more interesting. :)

I am happy with my plasma, but the IR really does piss me off. Led/LCD next time I think.

For sure mate. Really bowled over by 3D. This set also just plays 3D mkv straight from a HDD too, another huge bonus. I no longer need my media player. It's completely defunct.

If you switch to LCD, just make sure you're ready for the backlight compromises in pitch black rooms. Plasma wins for uniformity of the backlight, or rather lack of it completely. It's manageable though. I now use 50% backlight in the dark, and 75% during the day. Each setting provides inky blacks for their respective times of day, so I'm happy to roll with that. Most people probably won't even feel the need to worry about it.

I still think 3D is a gimmick. Certainly with Toy Story 3. Didn't really benefit from it and bar a couple of scenes I didn't even notice it.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I still think 3D is a gimmick. Certainly with Toy Story 3. Didn't really benefit from it and bar a couple of scenes I didn't even notice it.

Same with the new Pirates Of The Caribbean. First movie i've watched in 3D at the cinema. If this is what 3D is i think i can live without it. Watched most of it without glasses on tbh

Cupra
I think the feature set of your TV and mine are pretty similar (Samsung PS50c7700), except the Smart TV on yours which is the newer version of what I have. I was a bit miffed when I realised that the TV media player can play everything that my WD Live Hub currently does. I had only bought it a few months prior to the TV!

Baring the kids smashing one of their toys into the screen, I hopefully wont be changing TVs for a while, as mine is only a couple of months old. It probably hasn't even crossed the 200 hours break in yet either so IR may get better.... i hope. The Plasma picture is stunning though and leagues ahead of my old Sony LCD. Like you said, yours seems to be a good compromise of all, so here's hoping the technology works it's way down through the different price points over the next year or two.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Same with the new Pirates Of The Caribbean. First movie i've watched in 3D at the cinema. If this is what 3D is i think i can live without it. Watched most of it without glasses on tbh

What?

The point of 3d these days is to add depth to the picture, it needs to be subtle, Like avatar. It's not about things popping out to poke you in the eye.

If you watched half the film without them you must have really bad eyesight to not notice the slight double vision.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
What?

The point of 3d these days is to add depth to the picture, it needs to be subtle, Like avatar. It's not about things popping out to poke you in the eye.

If you watched half the film without them you must have really bad eyesight to not notice the slight double vision.

Have you seen the film in 3D?

Come around mine and watch this. If you still think 3D is a gimmick then you need new eyes.