ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung UE55D8000

Really bowled over by 3D. This set also just plays 3D mkv straight from a HDD too, another huge bonus. I no longer need my media player. It's completely defunct.

The .mkv from a HDD is great. I've found SBS to be as good as the .iso files. The only issue is true HD Audio through USB, but depends if you have the amp or will even notice it.

Not sure what HDD you use, but stick to a posted one. I tried using a USB powered one, and the files kept juddering as the 12GB+ movies were too large for the HDD to handle.

Have you noticed, or suffered from any flickering from the glasses? Losing sync for a split second?

As for 3D, it's better than the cinema.

My amp is capable of 'HD' audio but TBH I find regular digital 5.1 ample enough. This is what I currently get from the TV, as it's hooked into my amp via toslink. My other kit is HDMI and benefits from HD audio accordingly. I get no juddering at all. Motion on this TV is liquid smooth. Crazy smooth.

RE: 3D flickering. Yes in daylight without my blinds pulled. With the blinds open I can see flickering in the sunlight. Otherwise no. Rock solid.

IMO people pay too much attention to the cinema, thinking it's the ultimate. It isn't. I get better picture and sound at home. Even on my old plasma. The cinema is overrated these days. Home tech is way better.

I agree with the quality at home is better, but I do prefer the experience of the cinema.

As for the flickering in daylight, try this as it works 100% for me, add a little black insulation tape over the IR on the glasses, trial and error.

Rav4
lol good thread. Pioneers LX5090 is supposed to be the best TV for quality of picture.

You mention you plugin your HD and it makes your WD live box surplus, how are the movies displayed through the samsung, is it simply the folders?

Looks lovely though, sounds like you're basically humping it :p

Yeah but the Kuros are discontinued so they don't count. Plus, I doubt even those could match the motion of this LCD. It really is super slick. I've seen some of the best plasmas handling some of the best content, and none of them have had motion to match the Samsung. I'm guessing the Kuros would have the blacks licked though. But then they buzz, and suffer from IR...swings and roundabouts :)

Yeah at the moment I just open up the Smart Hub and select movies. Then you can browse all folders, or change sources to a network streamer etc. Not sure if there's a library feature yet, as I haven't delved too deeply into it all.

Rav4
Ah, Kuro's are discountinued, the later revisions were rather quiet ! I still got the 436XDE and SXE, fan's are well annoying, I like things deadly quiet. Would be interesting to see the Smart Hub, any chance of some pics?

Good stuff!! A lot of money for that screen, but sounds amazing.

Yeah man. They are SRSly desirable pieces of equipment. To see it is to want it. Think I can put up with it anyway.

clio 197
i just got back from a holiday to walk into my room and find one of these my rents got me for my birthday! its a f**king sweet tv!!!! best design out at the moment!

I do need new eyes.

I just presumed that the cinema 3D would be better than home.

Been doing some reading on this. Apparently cinema technology uses polarisation. Allegedly not as effective as active shutter. Personally I couldn't comment, as I have yet to see a 3D movie at the flicks. I do know that the 3D on this TV is bloody good. Depending on the source, of course.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Nah no pics. CBA. This guy goes into a fair bit of detail with the Smart Hub. he's reviewing the ladies version though - 46"

Was going ok until he showed the remote, omg, what a disgusting remote, you seriousy need to upgrade that thing, it's horrible!

Oh and he was blatantly hiding his p**n collection when he put his hand over the lens before he brought cars up!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL yeah I thought the same, but the remote is actually ok. Perhaps not fitting of the TV as a whole but it's alright. Chunky. Backlit. Feels good. Although the TV does seem a touch unresponsive to it at times. I've got the iPhone app but have yet to try it.

Oh and yeah. He's definitely hiding his goat p**n collection.

Last edited:
  RIP Dan
That TV makes me feel even more of a pauper now Roy, with my Freesat system......

Might audition to go on Jeremy Kyle.

Mito Sportiva 135
Nice frame...I like your style Roy. It's all about sweet TVs, my LGPK590 50" will keep me going for a few years though but this TV looks even nicer. Well played!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Snap Brand that's what I have. Decent TV and decent price when I picked mine up around November time.

Mito Sportiva 135
Gally - yes I love it. THQ mode for Blurays is stunning, better than a lot of other (more expensive TVs) I've seen.

Roy - as ridiculous as it sounds, know what you mean. 50" seems average now! 40" at my parents seems a little small.

Calibrated it now. Well I say calibrated. I've taken the settings that HDTV Test attained during proper calibration. Got the info from the AV Forums and OMFG. I thought it looked good before, but now it's on another level again. Simply stunning.

It's not the perfect TV. Sometimes I still notice some very slight backlight blooming, but only in certain conditions depending on the content, and never distracting. The black levels really are quite astonishing. I'm talking jet f**king black. Better than any plasma I've seen, and that's a bold statement for an LCD TV.

Sure it's expensive, but it's worth every penny IMO. Something quite special.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can't get a better review than "OMFG it's amazing".

Want one.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Epic stuff.

How can a man of such taste not own a 27" iMac?

Search down the back of the sofa. They're cheap now.

Want one.

Get one then. You've probably spent more so far this year on sasquatch semen for opening up the pores in your paint.

Epic stuff.

How can a man of such taste not own a 27" iMac?

Search down the back of the sofa. They're cheap now.

Epic is perhaps overused these days, but it truly is a monstrous TV. It's well good.

I really have no use for an iMac. We've been over this before.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely TV.... I was in comet earlier dreaming about getting a top of the range TV but I don't have ££££'s to spend on one :(

Are the 3D glasses the bulky electric version? I was looking at an LG with Cinema 3D and the glasses were much lighter and were not powered just plain normal ones like the cinemas use and it was the best 3D I've seen to date on a TV.

Lovely TV.... I was in comet earlier dreaming about getting a top of the range TV but I don't have ££££'s to spend on one :(

Are the 3D glasses the bulky electric version? I was looking at an LG with Cinema 3D and the glasses were much lighter and were not powered just plain normal ones like the cinemas use and it was the best 3D I've seen to date on a TV.
There are a couple of versions to the glasses.

Active shutter are the best I've experience yet. But these require power.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Just been to see this in store.

I MUST HAVE THIS IN MY MOTHER f**king LIFE.

LED at 800 HZ. wow