ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung UE55D8000

Sweet baby Jesus. What a f**king amazing television. I need one in my life. Fed up with my old Panasonic plasma now, as it's too small, and I've decided to move away from plassies for various reasons which I'm not interested in discussing.

I was just set to order one online but unfortunately I'll be out of the country when it's delivered, so I'm waiting until I return in a month or so. I will have this telly though.

random review link

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i need to watch a 3d tv. tbh, i ain't convinced with 3d tv... i would get hacked off with the sunglasses all the time.

tv looks mint though. I have a samsung too. (only a 32 inch 1080p!) had a ganders at a 50 inch 1080p samsung for £650. such good value imo :cool:

For sure. I'm not buying it for 3D. It just so happens that it's a bonus. I'm more interested in the 2D performance and the design.

Just to touch on my reasons for going LCD/LED now. They have seemingly reached and matched the image quality provided by plassies, but do not suffer from buzzing, image retention, and phosphor trails. Granted, the trails are pretty much invisible to an accustomed eye, but IR and buzzing are there, no matter how hard a plasma fan tries to pretend they aren't. I love a good plasma, but think the time has come to sample what the best of LCD tech now has to offer.

Very nice!

I've always been a Samsung fanboy, they are great sets. If I could afford to spend that on a TV, I would.

You'll like the 3D, whether you'll use it though. There's some good 3D content out now online/DVD worth getting.

Cupra
Looks very nice but ouch at that price! I've got a Samsung Plasma and the IR is a minor irritator. I would go for another Plasma for that reason

The problem with IR, is that although you know it's temporary, and probably not damaging, it's always in the back of your mind. I always get rid of the red button graphic, for instance, and news channels fill me with dread. Can't be doing with it anymore. Even a 2.35:1 aspect movie burns a letterbox in the screen. Not a massive problem but one I could do without at upgrade time. Time for a change. I can always come back to plasma at a later date, although I have a feeling its days are numbered anyway.

For me it's True LED > Plasma > LCD.

I've had 4 plasmas (1 x 42", 3 x 50" lounge), and 2 LCDs (22" & 32" bedroom). I prefer my plasmas for the natural image and watching movies, as well as the black levels.

IR is there, but it's gone within 15 seconds of turning the channel over, plus I sit 13ft from the screen so it's harder to notice.

It's all down to preference and what you want from the image, I would rather have a plasma than LCD. LCD is too vivid, bright and unnatural for my liking. But I'd rather have a True LED than a plasma.

Cupra
The IR on mime lasts for a good couple of minute. After the new year evening TV, the channel logo was on the screen for a couple of hours the next day and I was seriously worried about screen burn. I don't play console games that much these days but I'd definitely be reluctant to have a long session on a plasma with the same HUD.

It was the price that sold me on the plasma. I got the feature set of a LED TV twice the price with mine (PVR, 3D etc) and a 50" + LED was out of my budget.

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
IR is almost none existent on my plasma and goes within 5-10 sec if I do get it. I also can't hear any buz unless I put mute on.

As for burning you would have to be really trying to do it to burn a modern plasma.

Yeah modern ones are pretty good, but IR is there no matter how much owners like to play it down, and so is buzzing. Not deal breakers really, but reason enough for me to try something else. By all accounts these newer LED lit panels, with local dimming, provide very good black levels. The reasons to own plasma are shrinking rapidly.

Motion is a massive factor for me, and I'm aware that on the whole, plassies handle it better. I shall report my honest findings when I take delivery. Probably at least a month or so away.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Problem is Plasma and LCD/LED's all have faults. It just depends which ones your incline to put up with. Plasma won it for me in the end... I think this will be the case until OLED sets hit mainstream although Plasma and LCD/LED have both come on a long way in recent years.

Totally mate. None of them are perfect. All TVs, even in the same tech bracket, have their compromises. There is no prefect telly. I've done the plasma thing and fancy a change, as I feel that LCD/LED is now in with a shout of satisfying my exacting demands. I will update this thread when I take delivery.

For sure. It's only two years old though. Panasonic 42800B. I realise that plasma has moved on since then. I'm no fanboy when it comes to panels. The change is going to happen and I will accept the consequences. Good and bad.

Obviously I am expecting some major SD problems at 55" but then I mostly only ever view HD.

Mito Sportiva 135
I have the LG PK590 and can honestly say the picture quality of plasmas trumps LCD for most types of viewing. I suffered sme screen burn (my fault, about 8 hour session on a game with static menu, vivid colour settings and game had ultra vivid pallette) but "normal" screen burn isn't an issue, image retention isn't either.

On SD on mine the picture is still stunning, noticeably better than the 40" Sony Bravia LCD my parents have.

For <£700 it's AMAZING value, has HD Freeview, internet connection, 4 HMDI inputs etc, everything you need. The expert settings you can play around with too are also very good if you have the eye and the patience.

If you don't want 3D then it's amazing.

This Samsung looks good Roy, but very expensive!

Last edited:
Not being funny dude but the PK590 apparently suffers from IR pretty much more than any other modern plasma. It was on my shortlist. I'm not going there. It does look awesome though, and I'm sure they're a good panel.

RE: LCD/LED vs. plasma. Normally I'd agree, but the Samsung in question is no normal budget LCD. I'm hoping it will surpass my Panasonic plasma. In any case at least it won't burn and buzz.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
My tv is the pk590 also and IR is very minimal tbh. If its as bad as IR gets on a plasma these days then there is nothing to worry about... Input lag on game mode has been improved with recent firmware too.

Mito Sportiva 135
Roy - if so it's VERY minimal, if you watch say BBC for hours the logo might be there for 10 seconds max afterwards.

RN1 - how do you do the firmware update mate?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Roy - if so it's VERY minimal, if you watch say BBC for hours the logo might be there for 10 seconds max afterwards.

RN1 - how do you do the firmware update mate?

Just plug an Ethernet cable in the back (from your router) and it should pick any updates. Latest one is a few months old now.

Mito Sportiva 135
Oh right I'm connected and when I got the TV I think it updated something, so mine is probably ok. Cheers anyway!

Hey people I received my samsung UE55D800 after shopping around for a good price.
So Un boxed it , set it up ( looks amazing ) but noticed that there was a problem with the otter body ( frame ) on the top i noticed the back part was not tightly fitted to the front frame you could see the back slightly raised . I called up the shop whom I purchased it from and got to call back Monday as he will call samsung luckily he knows what I was talking about. Now I'm a type of person who looks at things and notice stuff pretty fast ( not sure if that is good or bad at times ) any how , I wanted to watch A L I E N on blurry ( normal 2d ) And I then noticed that during dark lit parts in the film , I noticed on the top right corner and around 5 ins down the screen it looked like a light cloudy effect ( not part of the film at all ) hmmm will tell the guy tomorrow when I call him back. Anyone having any issues ? Apart from the above , it's an amazing set.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Indeed very random.

I think the problem with the whole plasma vs LCD debate is that people compare the same price sets against each other, and plasmas are inherently cheaper, so with two similarly prices sets, the plasma will be w better spec anyway so should be better quality.

Personally I can't put up with the plasma downsides, I want to watch a tv and not have to worry about how long I watch a particular screen or where logos are.

I've always just bought a decent LCD instead, and my current Sony is amazing quality, had it 15 months now and I can't fault it, no clouding, brilliant blacks, stunning picture.

If you are going LCD, you just have to spend that bit more I guess and not go pikey.

I don't think that's accurate. It's well known that plasma, apples for apples, offers more realistic motion and deeper blacks, as well as zero backlight problems or inconsistencies. The exception will obviously be cheap displays, but a good plasma generally has better image quality than LCD/LED. LCDs might look 'better' when overblown with stupid brightness and ghastly colour, but that's only better if you have no clue about what makes a good display.

That said, I'm ready for a change and want to try something different. It doesn't help that the latest Panasonic plasma sets all look ugly. Cheap ass plastics and no style at all. A TV has to look good switched off, as well as on.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
We've had our Panny plasma (a v10) for about 2 years now, and I've not noticed any IR from channel logos etc, and it's on rather a lot.

Agree with what Roy says though, to me they always look like they display a good picture. Colours/brightness much easier on the eye than LCDs I've seen or owned.

The other reason we went for one was the viewing angles, if sat at the outer seats on our sofas then you are at a pretty wide angle to the screen and an LCD would struggle I reckon.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3

I've had 4 plasmas (1 x 42", 3 x 50" lounge), and 2 LCDs (22" & 32" bedroom). I prefer my plasmas for the natural image and watching movies, as well as the black levels.

IR is there, but it's gone within 15 seconds of turning the channel over, plus I sit 13ft from the screen so it's harder to notice.

It's all down to preference and what you want from the image, I would rather have a plasma than LCD. LCD is too vivid, bright and unnatural for my liking. But I'd rather have a True LED than a plasma.

The only true LED tv available to buy is an 11" Sony set.... Think your getting confused with full array led backlighting and OLED.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
my step dad won a 3d tv at work last month and i went round expecting it to be crap but it was amazing, watch avatar bluray in 3d and played killzone 3 in 3d on the ps3 with the playstation move gun adaptor and they really are amazing!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

As chap above says, you do realise that an LED illuminated panel, be it edge or rear LED lit, is still an LCD panel? Just that it isn't using CCFL lighting, uses LEDs instead.

And if that's what you mean, i.e. OLED, then yeah they are awesome but lots of £££. Don't LG have a 31inch panel that costs around £6000?

That said, I'm ready for a change and want to try something different. It doesn't help that the latest Panasonic plasma sets all look ugly. Cheap ass plastics and no style at all. A TV has to look good switched off, as well as on.

Pretty sure Panasonic have just/about to release their new plasma models for this year. They look much better, and pretty slim as well.

Taking delivery this weekend. I doubt anyone cares but I'll update in due course with my thoughts, in the interests of thread completion for searches.