ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Knowhow' Dixons/Pc world/Currys waranty, used it?

Z4
Had my trusty Panasonic plasma nearly 3 years now and it decided to give up the beans, luckily I'm covered with the trusty waranty!
...or so I thought.

Skip to the end, they're useless, delivered tv back in awful condition etc and it's an ongoing case. I hadn't realsied how bad they were until I googeled it!

Anyone used them?

ps - Bought the tv from Currys!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Did you purchase the "whatever happens" policy or was it a 3 year manufacturers warranty

Oil Burner
It is a blessing in disguise. Kick up a fuss about the condition it was returned in (hopefully you took some snaps before you sent it). You stand a good chance of a successful claim in my experience. Also how long did the repair take and exactly what Whatever Happens policy do you have.

Z4
It's the whatever happens 3 year deal, I don't know the exact ins and outs off hand but everything's covered.

Ive got photos etc, already kicked up a fuss about it.
Been without a working tv for 21 days now, ive even read a book :/

Oil Burner
Around 3 years ago they introduced a tier system, gold, silver bronze or something. However if you have a policy from before then - then i would check the small print. There is a period of time they need to fix the unit within (i can't remember exactly, but i have a feeling it is 21 or 28 days). If it runs over then the claim goes in your favour.

Panasonic's almost always resulted in a successful claim as they are pretty reliable and spares seemed hard to source and would often run over the repair time. Panels were the most common fault, but that was one particular model.

In my experience, whatever happens are actually very fair with payouts although it might take a little help from a sales person to get you a fair 'like for like' replacement value.

German V6
Gold, silver and bronze finished a while ago , it's now premier and club , as soon as it's longer than 21 go into store and demand a new TV , club is a 21 day turn around and they should replace the unit if it's been longer than 21 days if not and it's premier they should replace the unit after 14 days and offer a loan unit for the time being (that might only be laptops).

Oil Burner
3 years ago would be gold/silver/bronze or WEH before that. That was right at the end of when i was working there. Either way there has always been a limit on repair times.

German V6
3 years ago would be gold/silver/bronze or WEH before that. That was right at the end of when i was working there. Either way there has always been a limit on repair times.

Yer about 3 years give or take a few month's that was when it was TechGuy's, you could try giving knowhow a call to chase up the repair seen it happen many times when a store hasn't sent the unit away a good week or so after it being brought in , call them on 0844 561 1234 have you repair docket near by or they may ask for name a post code.

Z4
Gold, silver and bronze finished a while ago , it's now premier and club , as soon as it's longer than 21 go into store and demand a new TV , club is a 21 day turn around and they should replace the unit if it's been longer than 21 days if not and it's premier they should replace the unit after 14 days and offer a loan unit for the time being (that might only be laptops).

I originally had it in for repair on the 22/02/12, it was returned with scratches all over it and the fault still wasn't properly repaired.
It got picked up again on 07/03/12 and I have no eta on when it's getting fixed etc.

Does that count as 21days?
I will look up what tariff I'm on.

When you say go in store, you mean currys? Getting annoyed, wouldn't mind so much but my monitor died the same week so I've been using my iPhone lots for browsing!

Cheers for your help mate :)

German V6
I originally had it in for repair on the 22/02/12, it was returned with scratches all over it and the fault still wasn't properly repaired.
It got picked up again on 07/03/12 and I have no eta on when it's getting fixed etc.

Does that count as 21days?
I will look up what tariff I'm on.

When you say go in store, you mean currys? Getting annoyed, wouldn't mind so much but my monitor died the same week so I've been using my iPhone lots for browsing!

Cheers for your help mate :)

Sadly that won't count as 21 days they do that they send the unit back without a repair if it's getting close to 21 days, but still go back into store and say to them that is just dragging on too long.

Honda. Tesla Someday
They really are a bunch of con artists!

A strong worded letter of complaint to headoffice followed by a phonecall and also an email to Watchdog will get them to sort it fast. Thats what I do.

Oil Burner
No need to get angry with the guys in store. Just find someone engaged (they do exist) and be reasonable (as I'm sure you are planning to be anyway). They are on your side as if you get a payout they will get a sale.

All a call to head office will do is take time and result in them calling the store manager. No real need - just go and talk to him yourself.

Explain the damage to the unit - this is your best opportunity for a quick resolution. I've managed to get settlements for customers numerous times due to this (i ALWAYS recommend they take images of condition before hand, this often proved wise)

Z4
No need to get angry with the guys in store. Just find someone engaged (they do exist) and be reasonable (as I'm sure you are planning to be anyway). They are on your side as if you get a payout they will get a sale.

All a call to head office will do is take time and result in them calling the store manager. No real need - just go and talk to him yourself.

Explain the damage to the unit - this is your best opportunity for a quick resolution. I've managed to get settlements for customers numerous times due to this (i ALWAYS recommend they take images of condition before hand, this often proved wise)

I wasn't planning on throwing my toys out of the pram, I'm generally quite placid until someone rubs me up the wrong way!
I will be going in sat to explain the whole situation and hopefully I'll update this afterwards :)

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Comet returned a tv to me repaired but damaged, luckily noticed before signing. Kicked up online, by phone and took it back to the store kicked up some more and got a full refund in store credit. Walked out with a much better set, laptop and a set of house phones since TV's dropped price so much lol

Dont worry about kicking up Instore, most aren't willing to help and love the smug act so a good bit of raised voice soon sorts out their s**t.

From the sounds of it Dunganick works/worked there, so not sure he'd agree with your tarring everyone with the same brush Rory!
In my experience getting arsy with people doesn't get you what you want. If anything the opposite.
There are degrees of complaint though I'd agree!

Z4
Went in and kicked some arse today, no shouting needed, the staff were surprisingly helpful.
If the tv isn't at my house by Tuesday fully repaired I'll be cracking skulls.

I will update this accordingly, and once again many thanks for the help on here so far :)

Oil Burner
From the sounds of it Dunganick works/worked there, so not sure he'd agree with your tarring everyone with the same brush Rory!
In my experience getting arsy with people doesn't get you what you want. If anything the opposite.
There are degrees of complaint though I'd agree!

Used to work thankfully. Just enough to cover my uni fee's and then got the hell out of there!

I actually used to really enjoy it (except for the chip on the shoulder 75% of customers had) i ended up running the AV dept for our store and dealing with customer services mainly - so selling interesting products to people that often wanted to listen as they were spending some money. As you say, kicking up a fuss doesn't really get you anywhere. Naturally jobs like those don't encourage/retain people of the highest IQ so there are systems in place to make it as easy as possible (or hard to make a mistake) - so the actual sales person has very little control at all (it's best that way!). Shouting will just make them less likely to put work in once you leave the store. From the sounds of it they actually did quite nicely out of you, selling 3 products from a transaction that was previously 1. Helps their conversion and managed to keep the sale.

Glad to hear you had a more positive experience Chris. I hope it comes back in a decent condition - their technicians (certainly used to be) hopeless at returning things in good condition, i hope they prove me wrong!

Z4
Cheers.
They replied to an email i sent telling me if I don't receive my fixed tv by tues I'm entitled to a new one.
We will see, if not I'll be there on my lunch break weds demanding a new box.

I've had 3 TVs replaced by this cover.

Once the 21 days are up (must be 21 consecutive days from the initial call to them), you WILL be given a credit note to be used in store, or a like for like replacement.

Each time the 21 days were up for me (they'd tried to repair 2/3 times, and sent back still faulty), I walked instore, asked for the manager, and he gave me a credit note to pick another TV.

I've got 100% faith in this cover.

Z4

Once the 21 days are up (must be 21 consecutive days from the initial call to them), you WILL be given a credit note to be used in store, or a like for like replacement.

Each time the 21 days were up for me (they'd tried to repair 2/3 times, and sent back still faulty), I walked instore, asked for the manager, and he gave me a credit note to pick another TV.

I called them on the 21st Feb originally and haven't had a fully workin tv since.
They emailed to say I would get a replacement if it's not been delivered by tomorrow, no phone call yet to confirm I'm in so not looking good!

Its a 46inch Panasonic plasma I got a steal at £550. I guess this is the replacement, any good? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p46st30b-full-hd-46-plasma-3d-tv-10164530-pdt.html

Z4

Also, when you say credit note, could you add some more cash to it and buy something better? Just curious

Also, when you say credit note, could you add some more cash to it and buy something better? Just curious

Yep. First time I did it, they physically sent me vouchers worth £800. The other times, they told me (while I was instore) to pick a TV up to £800, I then added £200 on top.

Z4
Tv didn't arrive as they said it would today.

Spoke to the manager in currys and he couldn't get anywhere with them 'apparently it's due for delivery on Thursday, is that ok?' 'No.'
I've now spoken to them myself and hopefully got a little further, will know more tomorrow morning.

Awful, awful company

Oil Burner
Just push for the payout now. I doubt very much they can repair it anyway, if it is an old set it would take them ages to source any replacement parts anyway as panasonic are hopeless/usually pretty reliable. And you have been waiting a silly amount of time which must now role over the 21 days.

You are just as well off talking to the people on the help line yourself as the store use the same number and go through the same process.

Once they come up with an offer/settlement figure, check that it covers a like for like replacement. If you can find any feature that was on your old set and isn't on the new one then you can push to get the next model (assuming it has that feature).

For example - number of hdmi inputs, Optical Output, 100hz, scart connectors, picture in picture (a pointless feature, but was always great for getting customers upgrades). You will need the in store staff to sort this for you - just print off the specs of the two tv's and show them the differences. And they can issue new vouchers to the staff over the phone.

Hopefully at the end of this you will at least have a new TV!

Oil Burner
assuming it is still as it was when i was there then - Yes it's a voucher, strictly speaking it should be used to buy the tv set it is priced for. However it has been known not to happen that way. Its fairly unlikely they will hold a 46" panasonic in stock anyway.

Z4
Been on the phone to them again, despite the chap telling yesterday it would be sorted today I've been told its going through to the investigation department and I will have to wait another 3 days.

Fuming.
I do love this company

Z4
After waiting the full 72 hours I get no phonecall..
so I call them, gave them a piece of my mind, and came away with a voucher code!

Id like to say it was easy, but the whole experience was a ball ache and I don't usually get fazed by these things.

Annnyway, new tv time :D

German V6
After waiting the full 72 hours I get no phonecall..
so I call them, gave them a piece of my mind, and came away with a voucher code!

Id like to say it was easy, but the whole experience was a ball ache and I don't usually get fazed by these things.

Annnyway, new tv time :D

New tv , going for what ever happens on that then ? lol

Oil Burner
Ill have to think about that one ;)

Just popped into currys, the shop selection sucks. Can't be online either!

Glad you have finally made some progress.

They are able to order sets into stock for you or find a set at a local store that you can go and collect it from.

You can also take your voucher to any other store, probably pc world or dixons (if you are flying anywhere soon).

Z4
What new tv to get...

Im a little confused how it works still. If its meant to be an 'equal spec' tv then the cheaper model panasonics don't quite fit the bill as they only have freeview and not freesat hd my old set had. Is it worth pointing this out in hope to get a better model?!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
I would mention it if the value of your voucher cant get a TV which was similar spec to the original tv. Also, all this time without a tv? I'd of died of boredom by now?

Z4
I would mention it if the value of your voucher cant get a TV which was similar spec to the original tv. Also, all this time without a tv? I'd of died of boredom by now?

Theres similar specs, but none have the freesat apart from the gt30 which is £150 more. I guess I could really stress how much I loved freesat hd! Despite never once using it lol.

As for not having tv, I kind of got used to it! Im living at home at the moment so I still have the family tv etc, will be moving out around May time so I'm actually half tempted to wait and buy a tv suited to the house.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Play on it. Say you don't have Sky/Virgin etc so could definitely play that card!

That's not too bad then. I would wait though, get something that fits nicely in a corner or on the wall.

Z4
Play on it. Say you don't have Sky/Virgin etc so could definitely play that card!

That's not too bad then. I would wait though, get something that fits nicely in a corner or on the wall.

Good plan batman!
Who would I take that up with though? Knowhow or currys?