ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung UE55D8000

VaVa
lol.... it's got a 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000:1 contrast ratio too, iirc lol

What a f**king beautiful TV.

I'm still very happy with my Panny TX-46G20B... The picture after calibration is absolutely amazing.... but that Samsung makes it look like it's 30 years old lol. Stunning

Rav4
just seen this in comet today, gosh, their set ups doesn't do that TV any justice. 2.6k for the 55", that is a lot of money regardless how nice it is :)

Bit of a long termer update for need's sake. Probably the only TV I've ever bought where I didn't find myself wanting more inches after a few weeks.

It remains an imposing and very beautiful lounge centrepiece. Cracking TV. Stunning image, and just as good when it's off. 5 stars.

M135i
I was looking at these today. What's the difference between the 7 and 8 Series screens? Apart from price and a metal bezel.

I asked that question instore, and the guy said it was the refresh rate, and that was it.

Never looked online to see if he was right though.

He said the price difference of £450 wasn't worth it. If I wasn't poor, I'd have one of these, stunning TVs.

AFAIK the only difference between the D7000 & D8000 is the bezel. Although I did read somewhere on a forum that that may not be the case.

Don't confuse either set with the C models of course.

Hi there mate, I just brought one of these sets two days ago and I have a lot of testing to do.

By the way can I just say your reviews are really deep and you know your stuff.

Couple of things I have noticed is input lag when playing games (not sure if your a gamer)

Tried with game mode on but this reduces quality of the images as it bypasses the main chip im told.

Also white cloudyness in the corners, id really appreciate if you could send your pro settings from avforums and hdtv test to me? my email is birminghamseller@gmail.com

also any advice on the initial two issues im having would be great.

thanks for taking the time out to read this

:nono:

Yeah you do tend to get some bloom in the corners on a black screen in a pitch black room. I think I have previously mentioned the slightly uneven backlighting in some conditions. Unfortunately it's the nature of the technology. If you want a completely uniform 'backlight' at all times, then you need plasma, but then you have to accept the compromises that come with that too. I would say this is pretty much the only criticism I could realistically level at this TV.

There appears to be a range of colour that shows this effect more. Mostly when it's displaying greys I think. Blacks are very very very black, but can still show some blooming in the right conditions. For me, overall, it's a compromise worth accepting given how strong the TV is in every other area. I'm not disappointed by the blooming, but I am aware that it is sometimes noticeable. KNocking the backlight intensity down helps, and will almost eliminate it. I have my backlight down to 6, which seems very low at first but is actually far more natural looking. More plasma like in terms of brightness, and I personally cannot stand overblown colour and brightness that most TVs ship with as standard. Calibrate it as per these settings;

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=197575220286861&set=a.197575200286863.55803.110909255620125&type=1&theater&pid=529799&id=110909255620125

Try a backlight setting of 6-8. It will massively reduce the corner blooming, and is more than bright enough. Big backlighting just looks unnatural. Also, be aware that the picture settings are per source. You will need to enter the settings per input. In other words when you calibrate the TV picture, you'll then have to select HDM1 (for example) and do it all again. It's a lengthy process but it has to be done. You will be in awe of the images it will deliver once setup properly.

Yes I do use it for games and TBH I have not noticed any input lag. Game mode bypasses the noise reduction and disables the '800hz' motion smoothing frame creation stuff. I don't use it. I use the calibrated settings for all material.

Do you have Black Opps on PS3? You will be blown away by how good it is in 3D on this set.

Last edited:
How are you getting on with this?

After 5 Plasmas, I'm looking at LED (seems to be the most stocked tech instore these days). I'm looking at the 7000 though, although I've read there's not much difference?!

My main reason for change is reflections on my plasma, during the day it's a killer.

Got any daytime photos of the set?

Still love it. No plans to change until '4K' sets mature and come in at reasonable prices.

With regards to reflections, mine has a glossy screen, but the placement in my living room means it isn't an issue.

Rav4
How are you getting on with this?

After 5 Plasmas, I'm looking at LED (seems to be the most stocked tech instore these days). I'm looking at the 7000 though, although I've read there's not much difference?!

My main reason for change is reflections on my plasma, during the day it's a killer.

Got any daytime photos of the set?

The other good thing about the Samsung's as you know is not only the Freeview/Freesat built in, but also the PlexApp that's available which is supported on the 7000 series. I am looking at getting this model too. Wanted the Sony HX853 but changed my mind.

Thanks for the update guys