ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really feint hesitation/miss at light throttle

2003 Clio 172
RIght-o..........................have queried the warranty on Renparts items but will just pull the trigger anyway

Apologies for seeming to bounce back and forth.............you just have to muddle yourself through these things sometimes

J

2003 Clio 172
Right gang...........all the bits I have are now on......I have a set of new injectors coming on Wed to throw in as well from Rentech.

That crankshaft pulley bolt though.....wowsers, that was TIGHT.....just proved the value of my brand new Milwaukee impact gun (the brutal 1300lbft one)

Locked her all up and had a quick tweak with the breaker bar and my nerves wouldn't stand it. Popped the impact gun on in its lowest setting and 3 or 4 hits from it (runs real slowly in the lowest power) and out came the bolt with no fuss to the belt. Mega.

Took the pulley off and OMG the core is basically hanging out of it.......EEEK!

Anyhoo.......new pulley on and torqued and after about 5 manual rotations of the engine (pulleys all still tight) the timing looks absolutely perfect. So as has been said, it can be done without re-timing as long as everything is locked up.

One quick question, I checked all of the aux pulleys etc with the belt off and none were making any noises, had any play and all felt smooth.

I only used the jubilee clip method to stop the tensioner killing me and that worked fine but I have noticed that on first start the belt is a bit squealy when turning the steering. This goes away after a minute or so.

Is the tensioner capable on its own to tension the aux belt or do i need to give anything a little tweak?

J

Is the tensioner capable on its own to tension the aux belt or do i need to give anything a little tweak?
Its capable as long as its free to piviot on its mounting bolts they should be torqued i use silicone spray on the mounts so it can move freely.

2003 Clio 172
Eugh............balls..............so I still have that weird squeal on full lock when the car is cold............I thought it was the crank pulley when I put marks on the inner and outer sections and noticed that they moved apart. I assume that wasn't a wasted job anyway?

Once the car is warm the squeal is gone but if i go hard on the steering, left, right, left, right etc really quickly it does get heavy :/

Going to throw in some AT to the PAS reservoir today as it is on or below minimum from what I can see

If that doesn't sort it, I guess I am looking at aux belt/tensioner/pulleys (replaced around 3 yrs ago with the timing belt) and after that, the PAS pump?

J

2003 Clio 172
So i still have a bumpy idle...............yes, i know they are bumpy in general but mine has the Fstchip map on it which as far as I can recall..........had it idling at 1100 (can someone verify that for me?)

Anyway, I have been reading the workshop manual (heck, beats the news) and noticed this.............not sure if it is relevant or if anyone has ever seen it, but the symptoms sound fairly similar

WARNING: if the solenoid valve is jammed in the
open position this will result in an unstable idle
and the pressure in the manifold at idle will be
too high.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I would reinitialize the adaptive fuelling settings on the ecu with clip if you have changed the injectors for new. Mine was hunting all over before doing it after changing an injector.

PH2 172
You get more bollox talked here than the EU referendum thread.

New injectors are fit are & forget.

It`s a Clio, not a late diesel Transit.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You get more bollox talked here than the EU referendum thread.

New injectors are fit are & forget.

It`s a Clio, not a late diesel Transit.

You dont need to code them in or nothing fancy but nothing wrong with resetting the adaptives. Adaptive is the key here it has adjusted to run ok for the shitty injectors and you bang a nice new set in which will take the ecu a while to compensate for. Use the proper tools for the job if you have access to them, i bet most run s**t due to the throw it together and hope for the best method

dan's cast offs.
Even something crap like torque should be able to reset adaptions. I've done them loads when replacing bits and never once noticed a difference that the new part hasn't made. If it's just an injector I don't bother resetting them.

2003 Clio 172
Well, injectors should be here today and I will throw them in tonight.

I really hope it helps the bumbling idle as the stalling is real. Still idling at around 900 rpm. Can anyone remember what the Fastchip map idle should be? I was sure it was more than that.

Even after replacing what I have done already, I still have the hanging revs and stumble to below 500 rpm when I pull up to a stop, in traffic for example.

This morning was a killer as the motorway was a mess and just sitting in first gear, roll forward perhaps a car length and clutch back in, the revs sit at perhaps, 1300-1400 rpm and then just drop. If I am starting to move off again at this time its an instant stall.

I have been doing this route for years now in this car and never remember it being so bad.

The throttle body has been cleaned perhaps a few months ago as one of the first thoughts.

Still leaning towards the map sensor @bloke if the injectors don't help? Timing was as far as I could see, perfect (cam tool loose in the slots when crank pin in)

J

dan's cast offs.
Anything you can datalog with? Can't be anything major but if the car was in front of me id just start with the basics, air leaks, plug caps not pulled eye and just take it from there.

2003 Clio 172
Air leak is a fair point as I decided that the breather gasket was a wee bit hardened when I was doing the other work so have ordered a replacement one of those, not sure how relevant that may be.

All I have is RSTuner fella. Not ideal I know but it looks to be able to spit out quite a bit of info albeit in a graph format.

J

2003 Clio 172
So..............of course it is hard to replicate the issue WHEN YOU WANT.....lol

But, it did most certainly do it when I pulled up at the house at the end. Not as severe as say sitting in stop start traffic for a while but exactly the same behaviour only less pronounced.

Drove in, all seems well.............pull up on the drive and you can see the vehicle speed getting to 0. Sits for a few seconds with the rpm at a fairly normal level (this is usually say, 1100 when it is severe) and then the revs drop and then recover.

1544709012892.png

2003 Clio 172
lol.....me neither.........it's all witchcraft :)

no idea with regards to the ign. advance..................does remind me that this car has a EuroCarParts knock sensor on it.

I remember one very special night............i managed to completely snap the original one off and had to replace it. Almost sharted at the price of a genuine one.

Relevant?

J

2003 Clio 172
I did not.................despite being told a few times to do so

I am a bit of a tit like that :)

Injectors tonight and then I will see what is what. @Louis offered a second hand one so might take him up on that as they are injector money for genuine.

I am also now considering a new knock sensor from a decent brand. Can get Valeo from ECP for decent money with the XMAS code.

**THE PARTS CANNON IS STILL WELL AND TRULY FIRING PEOPLE**

2003 Clio 172
ACH WTF

Bought 4 injectors from Renparts.................one of them is COMPLETELY WRONG yet labelled the same.

Correct on left. Wrong on right.

20181213_153823.jpg

:(

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I did not.................despite being told a few times to do so

I am a bit of a tit like that :)

Injectors tonight and then I will see what is what. @Louis offered a second hand one so might take him up on that as they are injector money for genuine.

I am also now considering a new knock sensor from a decent brand. Can get Valeo from ECP for decent money with the XMAS code.

**THE PARTS CANNON IS STILL WELL AND TRULY FIRING PEOPLE**
Did I? :) I'm not even sure if mine works mate!

I'm having similar issues but not stalling at all.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Renparts are pretty good normally. I reckon if you ring them they will send you another one out asap.

I have previously had an issue with them around a used part and they were really good about it.

It was me that had a good used map sensor @jinjur

Keep at it mate. Sure you will get it sorted soon. Then all this hassle will be forgotten about. Be interesting to see how it is once you have four new injectors.

2003 Clio 172
Seriously Steve......don't.....I am close enough to the edge here

Well.....they were all sealed with the magneti marelli stickers.....No tears. The odd one was sealed too but looking at the info on it.....while yes it is an IWP042.....it does also say PSA on it.....to me that is Peugeot.

PH2 172
Seriously Steve......don't.....I am close enough to the edge here

Well.....they were all sealed with the magneti marelli stickers.....No tears. The odd one was sealed too but looking at the info on it.....while yes it is an IWP042.....it does also say PSA on it.....to me that is Peugeot.

Give Renparts a ring, obviously it`s not their error and they will sort it.

2003 Clio 172
Spoke to Renparts earlier and they cannot understand but are arranging to send a replacement.

But.

I have just replied (in a nice way as they have been lovely tbh) to advise that I am actually not happy abut having ECP stuff near me at all...................I mean, I have a code for ECP that would have brought injectors within a smidge of Renparts price.............and I could have had them in a similar time frame as well and collected locally...............BUT................I did see the thread you mentioned Steve and chose to use Renparts.

And as mentioned..........it's not against ECP at all really, it is about end users abusing the return process and ECP not being as thorough as they can with returns etc.

I thought buying from Renparts would mean even if there was a return, it would be subject to more investigations than ECP

The fact that these have in fact come from ECP has completely shat upon my illusion that these were straight from Marelli :(

The one that is incorrect btw..............was actually opened and has been sealed shut with an ECP (IWP042) sticker......I can tell because of the dirt under the ECP sticker........the Marelli sticker underneath says IPM012. It was opened at some stage.

Am i being unreasonable here? Should i content myself with the replacement one? Maybe I should and just wise up. Eugh

I HATE CARS!

Last edited: