ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really feint hesitation/miss at light throttle

2003 Clio 172
Super.....that is a prime candidate for a check i think, thanks @flebay

I assume replacing these doesn't strictly have to be from Renault?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Get the injectors tested/cleaned on an ansu machine. Scan the map sensor on live data to see whats going on.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
JinJur, I'm just round the corner from you, 2003 172 also. You're welcome to come over and swap parts off mine until you find the culprit.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
You can pull your injectors, shove them in some bottles then apply a battery feed and fuel source to it and you can visibly see if they are all spraying/filling the bottles at the same speed. It's a bit crude but does the job. Injector cleaning was £18 each last time I checked and then postage back and forth.

Edit - Like this:

2003 Clio 172
Hi fella,

That is decent of you. I might take you up on that but really don't want to be tearing your car apart :)

Just checked the MAP sensor anyway.

MAP engine off - 1039.10
MAP engine running - 4-500

dan's cast offs.
4-500 On idle is a fair variation. Can you graph it and see what it's averaging. Also injector duty cycle reading at idle.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Even if you want to pop your RStuner on mine and take it a spin to see if the readings are similar. I'm usually out tinkering anyway so it's no hassle if you want to swap over a few relays etc.

2003 Clio 172
1543433070099.png

dan's cast offs.
that's high, can't think of exact range reno state but that's over it for sure. what's it read with ignition on but not running? duty cycle isn't bad so could be timing related dependant on what map is with ignition only.

2003 Clio 172
1039 with engine off buddy.

Timing was sorted last year by myself but will be checked again soon when I do the pulley

172 Ph2
That`s a pretty dumb attitude.

Spend £600 for a full belt/dephaser change and it will probably last another 5 years, and if it`s timed correctly this time, the hesitation will likely be cured too.

That`s £120 a year to put it in perspective.

The car has been written off, its far from mint, the clutch is getting very high and i fancy a change of car.
Investing £600 into this one is not a clever thing to do.
How much would i likely sell it for? £650 maybe..

Thanks anyway...

PH2 172
The car has been written off, its far from mint, the clutch is getting very high and i fancy a change of car.
Investing £600 into this one is not a clever thing to do.
How much would i likely sell it for? £650 maybe..

Thanks anyway...

Poor car,

The sooner you sell it on to someone that will appreciate it for what it is and invest in it the better.

If you think a depreciating £3k FN2 is going to any less demanding on the wallet, go ahead.

2003 Clio 172
Right................I still haven't got at it yet but the misfire has evolved into full on Subaru under 2500 rpm which goes away above those revs albeit seemingly with the power down.

With the occasional bang from the exhaust.

Would we be leaning more ignition now?

2003 Clio 172
Thanks guys..........yeah.........well, I have a new coil/crank sensor and loom/plugs etc to go in as part of a big chunk of work to do so I will throw it in anyway.........will actually try that tonight to see if it changes but will look to getting the set of injectors ordered as well.

I take it MAGNETI MARELLI 805001446001 is the right stuff?

Not bad when ordered from Trodo or Online Car parts to be honest, just the wait.

J

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
With it idling like a Subaru, just pull each eletrical injector connector off one at a time.

The one that doesn't make a difference to the idle is the culprit.

2003 Clio 172
Doesn't idle like a Subaru bud, only when under load on light throttle until around 2500rpm...............tried pulling injector leads in turn last night to see if it changed the idle (which is smooth) and it just obv went off a cylinder each time.

172 Ph2
Poor car,

The sooner you sell it on to someone that will appreciate it for what it is and invest in it the better.

If you think a depreciating £3k FN2 is going to any less demanding on the wallet, go ahead.

Poor car?
I was rear ended at a roundabout and bought it back from the scrappers...
Oil changed every 3,000 miles and every part that needs replacing gets replaced - hence the frustration at this surging issue.

And i never mentioned FN2....

At least try and direct your unhelpful comments at the right person.

172 Ph2
Jinjur - i think you and i have different issues here. Yours sounds more severe.
My car runs starts and runs smooth as silk - apart from very light throttle in 4th and 5th gear.

I've lost track of what you've changed, but it really does sound like injector.
Keep at it buddy.

2003 Clio 172
Offers still there to try my coilpack & leads and MAP sensor.

Hey Si,

Appreciate that. I have a new coil and plugs to go here.............if i get so far down the road to look into MAP further I will give you a shout but firmly in the world of spark and gas right now.

Bigger mechanical work (pulley replacement) is probably going to take the longest time though

J

PH2 172
Thanks guys..........yeah.........well, I have a new coil/crank sensor and loom/plugs etc to go in as part of a big chunk of work to do so I will throw it in anyway.........will actually try that tonight to see if it changes but will look to getting the set of injectors ordered as well.

I take it MAGNETI MARELLI 805001446001 is the right stuff?

Not bad when ordered from Trodo or Online Car parts to be honest, just the wait.

J

48 hour delivery at worst.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2003 Clio 172
Hmm, yeah...................never occurred to check Renparts eBay store again Steve.......fair point. Almost sure I checked before and it was more expensive than that.

Obviously not!

Cheers bud

2003 Clio 172
Oh yeah, this is what I didn't understand with regards to the Renparts items........

"3 Months Warranty"

Can that be right on a new item?

PH2 172
Oh yeah, this is what I didn't understand with regards to the Renparts items........

"3 Months Warranty"

Good point, it would be worth querying with them.

I think it is an oversight on their part, and they have used the template for their used items to create the listing.

I have had no problems with the set I bought from them.

2003 Clio 172
Appreciate that bud.............will pop them a mail as would prefer local obviously

Cheers
J

dan's cast offs.

"3 Months Warranty"

new or used, buy it from a business/trader and it's got 12 months on it.

2003 Clio 172
So............car full on spat dummy out this am on the way home from school....................banging, misfiring...............would have done Chitty Chitty Bang Bang proud.

But shortly from home I had the flashing EML which to me means the CAT is at risk so nursed it home and just threw the new coil pack at it.

The worse incarnation (proper 2 cylinder stuff) is now gone thankfully but I have yet to take it for a spin to see if the hesitation is gone as well.

I am still going to throw the raft of stuff I have at the car (crank sensor, plugs, front o2 etc) as they aren't a fortune and will perhaps budget for injectors, heck..........i might just get them anyway while i am this deep.

Progress I think

Later this week is the crank pulley which i am not very excited about having got the timing perfect......I did buy a monster Milwaukee impact tool in the Black Friday shenanigans which I seriously hope will make light work of the bolt. PLEASE

I am hoping (fingers crossed) that I can keep the car in time with the pulley change but I will be checking thoroughly and re-timing if required.

Will keep you posted on that too :D

Thanks for the help thus far you guys.

J

2003 Clio 172
No codes listed and I was of the impression that flashing EML is taken from the CAT reading a stupid reading.

I literally drove it home misfiring, changed the coil within 5 minutes and the misfire is gone.

dan's cast offs.
Flashing is injector. You need to pin crank and lock cam pulleys when changing bottom pulley.

2003 Clio 172
Well.................I am just back from driving like king ballbag and the car didn't skip a beat. It has been a dog all week and the new coil has just changed that. Not one misfire, hesitation, bump, fart or squeak.

To be clear...........on the way home earlier............the light was flashing for a bit and then stopped............just before the house it came on again, flashing...........stopped again when i pulled in.

What exactly does the flashing light mean, surely it isn't specifically injector or is it?

From trawling the internets when I got home I saw mention of injection/ignition problems reported by the CAT. Is that not right?

J