ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really feint hesitation/miss at light throttle

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Good meeting you too man! The car drives lovely, Idle's a little high but that could be the map. The rev's not holding when you hold a stable position on the throttle was a concern though.

Anyone think it could be the throttle body or the actual throttle pedal position sensor itself?
Another thing J was talking about was perhaps the VVT solenoid was stuck on? Is this a possibility?

2003 Clio 172
Hey @JamesBryan yes.....and when I do I can hear it clicking. It was just odd that below 2k how it was impossible to hold steady revs with the throttle.

I was able to do this just fine in Simon's car.

Above 2k no worries.

J

2003 Clio 172
Here is the idle when I arrived home this evening........probably running as good as it gets then

1544988491107.png

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
That map sensor is pretty high, did you try swapping that out? I've tried 2 different ones and they weren't that high

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Did you check the live data on the other map sensor?
I'm not sure how well mine holds idle below 2k.

What does it do when you try to hold the revs? Just drop to idle or does it stall?

2003 Clio 172
Hmm......I did not do that.................err............................it was Simon's fault :D

We were probably talking too much.

Ok, so car warm.....................i hop in and press the pedal to bring the car to say, 1700rpm..............after a couple of seconds it will drop to say 1500, then back up...........then down, then back up............................for ever

I have a sneaky suspicion that this is tracking with the lambda pulse

J

2003 Clio 172
Hmm....yeah, ever so slight increase in rpm when I bridge the pins.

I bet this is more noticeable without the RSTuner 98 Ron map........pretty sure my switch is doing toss all so will replace that.

And I thought Santa cost money?

2003 Clio 172
I know you are man..... I do appreciate it.

P.s. pas pump is now on the list too as I think it may be the thing that squeals and not the belt.

THIS IS GREAT ISNT IT?

PH2 172
I know you are man..... I do appreciate it.

P.s. pas pump is now on the list too as I think it may be the thing that squeals and not the belt.

THIS IS GREAT ISNT IT?

If it squeals on full lock when stationary, particularly when cold, it will be the aux belt/tensioner.

My pump does whirr a bit when cold, but it`s been that way for 40k miles.

Don`t panic.

2003 Clio 172
If it squeals on full lock when stationary, particularly when cold, it will be the aux belt/tensioner.

My pump does whirr a bit when cold, but it`s been that way for 40k miles.

Don`t panic.

It does it when it's cold if I have to put any effort into steering.....not just at the end of travel.

Little or none when warm

PH2 172
  2003 Clio 172
lol................yeah..............RenaultPartsDirect have had a fair bit of my money to date anyway.........what's a few more quid.

Will probably need the wheel bearing (or any other part it changes to) as well if it keeps up like this so that is no problem :D

It's an odd squeal/screech.............not what I would typically associate with a belt...........will try and get a video of that too for your viewing pleasure...........I mean, I am sure you are all loving it.

J

2003 Clio 172
Any way to verify the belt/tensioner for sure before buying the lot and realising its the pump and having tensioned a belt already?

Tried a wee huff of wd40 on the belt and it didn't stop the racket when i tried earlier

If we do end up down that path, any of you lovely lot have a pas pump lying about for sale?

#bottomless

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The squealing/screeching could be the crankshaft dampener pulley starting to separate. It’s definitely worth a check, as I thought my pas pump was on the way out, but it was actually the crankshaft pulley that was knackered and making the horrid squealing/screechy noise.

2003 Clio 172
Hey @clio_ross

That was one of the things that i did replace in this veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long thread :)

Mine was starting to spin freely (marked it with tipex and noticed they had spread after one day). I was also able to super-duper check the timing when I was doing this

Cheers for the heads up..............IMO.............everyone should be checking this on these cars now.

J

2003 Clio 172
So.......uhh........well, I gave the pas sensor a clean to see what's what.

Umm

20181217_181258.jpg

Yeah. Was wet after a few quick left-rights.

Scary bananas. Definitely trying to make a bit for freedom @STEVE.M

New one on way.

J

2003 Clio 172
Also fairly proud of my hand-crafted-without-a-welder aux belt tool.

20181217_190150.jpg

Just undersized a square hole in b and q finest hunk o metal and pressed a bolt that I ground to 10mm square into it with a vice.

Made a second 10mm fitting with a different angle as I couldn't work out which would work best.

Tinkering!

2003 Clio 172
Yep. Used the jubilee clip for the pulley change......this was really a plan B and also for the new kit when I do that.