ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering

Clio 182 2005
A question that has been bugging me.Does anyone know why the 172/182 have hydraulic power steering when electric is used on the 1.2? I would have thought a performance car would want to do away with any the extra engine load that comes with the pump or does the electric motor demand more energy from the alternator?, or is it to do with steering feedback? Any answers out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I’m sure there will be science but it will be down to feel. Honda for example dropped the ball when they continued with putting electric steering in the ep3, its a bit crap. Although I found it okay.

Clio 182 2005
I had electric in my old HGT Punto from 2000 (city mode button) which was ok,

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
Well even today the use of electic setups are frowned upon by purists, so 15 years ago I think it would have been sacrilege to use anything other than hydraulic (I'm sure some were still crying out at driver's cars having power steering in the first place!). I've driven a couple of cars with decent electric systems but the feel has never been there (and also in the case of the current Fiesta ST, it's not 100% electric anyway?). I think there have been quite a few cars recently with performance orientated versions that have hydraulic rather than the electric systems on the cooking versions, from memory for example the E82 135i/1M had hydraulic whereas lesser models were electric.

dan's cast offs.
am guessing the engine was probably first used in the early 1990s and will of had hydraulic pas, reno will of just used the basics of the engine for the clio and changed head etc. auxiliary set up afik stayed the same?

Clio 182 2005
Interesting to know that performance models have hydraulic, it’s got to be down to improved feedback

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Rather than start a new thread I thought I’d ask in here. Should the power steering reservoir cap have a rubber washer/seal inside. A photo of inside a cap would be appreciated

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Don’t some people change to Epas for track day cars?

The hydraulic one has issues with over-heating and boiling the PAS fluid off after long track sessions, EPAS doesn't get that issue.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I’d ask in here. Should the power steering reservoir cap have a rubber washer/seal inside. A photo of inside a cap would be appreciated

Doesn't it need to vent a little bit? A seal would prevent that.

172 Ph1
If you have hydraulic setup , suck some out so it’s at half way level , so when it gets hot it won’t spill over . That’s what I did and it’s spot on .

EPAS for the long haul , as I’ve seen PAS pumps fail and take out the cam belt and say goodbye [emoji1309] to the engine .
That’s why I went EPAS

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
If you have hydraulic setup , suck some out so it’s at half way level , so when it gets hot it won’t spill over . That’s what I did and it’s spot on .

EPAS for the long haul , as I’ve seen PAS pumps fail and take out the cam belt and say goodbye [emoji1309] to the engine .
That’s why I went EPAS
Will do that (take it down to half level). It’s only going to see a handful of track days before the car gets swapped summer next year.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
There are also a lot of problems with the hydraulic pipes and the pumps are rubbish on 172/182. Would defo convert the next one i owned to EPAS otherwise if the pump does go it can take the engine with it.