ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
So time for another quick update on the car...
@Daz... came by Wednesday so I could check out his steering wheel, and put a face to a name. Was nice to meet you buddy!

Shortly after, @Steven103 came over to relinquish his boredom and continue to try and figure out my electrical issues.
He set to work on the car, and whilst he was playing, I was talking to daz about his ph1 stalk and the horn.
Daz pointed out about the stalk being plug and play, and you just needed to connect 2 wires. Oh, like those ones there......

MASSIVE f**king D'OH

It only turned out to be the horn wires dangling loose. Sometimes it's good to have another pair of eyes (and a brain) looking at things! So yeah, the horn now works!

A bit more testing on the high beam situation (as they weren't working either - don't worry, no loose wires for those), and it was found that they worked when the spare UCH was used.

I had a half day Thursday, so set off to grab a new ECU set, in the hope that it would not only cure the high beam, but also fix the clocks problem too...

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
I also set about a few other jobs.
New vents installed. The demister T7 unit pipes will run to these, and should do a good job of clearing the screen.
IMG_5512.JPG

Also got some HG Sticker Remover. Awesome stuff, and smells lovely! Definitely use in a well ventilated area though...
IMG_5510.JPG
IMG_5511.JPG
IMG_5514.JPG
IMG_5513.JPG

Quick cut out for the front tow strap...
IMG_5520.JPG

@fairm010 also found a wiring diagram for the clocks. Tomorrow's plan will be test to the voltage to pins 4 and 16 and see what it's getting at the plug. See if we can track down this ridiculous issue with the instrument cluster!!
IMG_5517.JPG

IMG_5523.JPG

Last edited:
  330i. E30 Touring.
To MOT it, can't you just put a sat nav on the dash showing GPS speed?

No need to have all of the dash working for an MOT i don't think? As long as the tester is pre-warned anyway ;)

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
To MOT it, can't you just put a sat nav on the dash showing GPS speed?

No need to have all of the dash working for an MOT i don't think? As long as the tester is pre-warned anyway :wink:
Well, it could work. A reason for failure is a speedo needle not moving though apparently. But if it has a digital display, then it should pass.

It would get it through the MOT for now, but it'd be nice to have a working fuel and temp gauge. 😂

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Was good to meet you both.

The car's looking good with the work done so far.

Glad you got the horn working, but those clocks are a mystery!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So, after a lot of deliberating, I'm going to break the car for parts.....

ONLY JOKING!!!!

After more electrical testing today, I'm still no wiser as to the clock issue.
However, all the warning lamps work. So the plan now is to use a gps speedo (as a working speedo is not actually needed for the MOT), and get the car thru and passed - I hope!

Steering whee is being changed for a flat OMP wheel when it arrives, and a ph1 stalk with horn button is also on order (now we've got the horn working).

This means at least the car is on the road and useable, and along with an OBD reader I can run an app to show revs, fuel level, temperature, and speed.

Then an auto sparky can take a look at the electrics and try and figure out my non moving needles.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Last few tweaks tonight.
Coolant bled and topped up, harness adjusted, new steering wheel added with horn, number plate light installed.

Oh, and also found out a small problem.
I pulled the car out the garage last night. There was a horrendous scraping noise. Turns out the wheels weren't rotating at the back. That's when I discovered the handbrake had been on; probably for months!

So tonight I had a look and removed the wheels. It was only then I noticed that the rear wheels were actually touching the calipers! 😊😊😊

So for now I've had to swap to the original 16's at the back. Thankfully a couple of them still had tread!
Spacers are on order now though...

Lambda sensor to be fitted at the garage, and MOT and tracking. Fingers crossed!!
IMG_5566.JPG

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Good job you moved it out before the actual day of the mot!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow anyway :grimacing:

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah definitely!
Took it for a quick spin down the road.
EPAS seems heavy when turning at very low speed. Is that right?
Hoping it's just that the tracking is out perhaps.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Well, that was a fun drive this morning!
Got to Tesco and filled up. Momentum of course!

Speedo miraculously started working again, although seemed out. I noticed when I got to Tesco that the needle dropped way below 0.
So I manually adjusted it back to zero - will check it against my GPS speedo later!

It squirrels away while driving, but the tracking is way off of course.

Also, got to within about 300 yards of the garage, and then there was a horrendous scraping noise. Yup, the backbox was on the floor! LOL.
Thankfully it didn't fall off completely, as I then gingerly made the remainder of the journey round the corner to the garage. Got some funny looks though.

It does put a big smile on my face though already!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Well....

Somehow the little bugger passed!!!

Some very odd advisories! Like a missing passenger seat?!?

It also appears that the backbox is far too heavy. We noticed that there appears to be a snapped hanger on the other side of the exhaust too. So maybe it's no for a 172?
Might have to purchase a new backbox!

Other than that, it's not just small jobs to get it a bit more comfortable.
Cannot believe the day has arrived though. Even sat in traffic I had a massive grin on my face!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Very strange, mines been on for the last two mot's and not been mentioned.

Still, great news it's passed!

Many.
Good that it passed the MOT, Did you say you tried another set of clocks? Sounds like its been messed with if the EML doesnt work with ign like it should.
Is this still on a 172 manifold too btw? I have a 172 PMS exhaust for sale, but its to fit a 182 manifold.

If needed, I will pop past Saturday afternoon/evening, more than likely I'll be leaving FCS earlier.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Good that it passed the MOT, Did you say you tried another set of clocks? Sounds like its been messed with if the EML doesnt work with ign like it should.
Is this still on a 172 manifold too btw? I have a 172 PMS exhaust for sale, but its to fit a 182 manifold.

If needed, I will pop past Saturday afternoon/evening, more than likely I'll be leaving FCS earlier.

Yeah tried another set of clocks, and have the same issue. Although now the fuel gauge and speedo appear to work. I think!?

I've got the 172 manifold on still but have hopefully got a new cat back system sorted.

Unfortunately I'll be away at @dann2707 's this weekend.
Going to see how it runs with the OBD app for now. If it works a digital dash may be on the cards? Depends if it's reliable.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Took Friday off work to get the exhaust sorted on the car, and to head up to @dann2707's for the weekend for a hoon around the peaks.

Took the car down to Automax, and Max set about working on a secondary mount for the exhaust.
It was clear that the backbox wasn't made for a Clio, but with time and money of the essence, we decided to make it fit.
IMG_5571.JPG

The damage done from the backbox falling off it's mount on the way to the MOT. Slashcut tips anyone?
IMG_5577.JPG

It was tided up a bit after this, but this gives you an idea of what we went for. It's not pretty, but it works. So that is more than good enough for me.
IMG_5578.JPG

So after that was all done and tested, I set off back home to grab some lunch, pack the car and make the journey up to Dan's. The M40, M42 and M1 were all fucked, so I headed up using the backroads instead.
Wizard kindly helped wire up my ciggy lighter unit for me, so I could charge my devices whilst driving. Useful now that I'm currently using a tablet for the dash, and phone for satnav/ speedo!
IMG_5738.JPG

Saturday morning, we set off for a fun trip around the Peak District. We took in some glorious views and fun roads.
The car performed well, right up until a point that required some braking for a junction.
As we came down the hill, I braked, only to find my foot go all the way to the floor!?!
Some quick thinking meant using the handbrake to help bring me to a halt, whilst thankfully some braking did remain from the calipers.
We got out to check what it was, but couldn't see anything. We decided to head on back to Dan's place, as he was suffering from a knocking noise. 100 miles all in and we made it back in 1 piece.
IMG_5746.JPG
IMG_5747.JPG

After returning to Dan's, we had a quick check over of the car.
Turns out, a rear pad had made it's escape!
Thinking back, I'm sure a fitting kit was put on, but I'm starting to doubt it now.
New fitting kit and disc and pads are needed to make a full set back up, and a lesson learnt.

On the whole, car seems to run well. I think there's a blow in the exhaust, but it wasn't horrendous to drive. New trainers though might help take the ache away from the ball of the back of my foot though. It got a bit of a pain after an hour or so.

Finally, I was given a folder when I bought the car (as you'll see back in the early days of the thread.
The bit I'm holding is receipts for the bits I've bought the car since taking ownership.
IMG_5745.JPG

Last edited:

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Jesus what is wrong with me. I even gave it a wash and hoovered the garage!?!

Wheels and bumper are off.
Wheels for a clean(!?!), and bumper so I can sort the adjusters on the headlights.

IMG_5753.JPG
IMG_5754.JPG

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Not much done over the last couple of weeks.
Did get my headlight adjusters fitted, and have adjusted the drop links on the white line ARB.

Was going to take it to they pub for lunch today, but the nearside rear tyre is flat. Going to take it down the tyre fitters to see if it's a puncture or just needs resealing.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So speaking to @jaswalker24 the other day, and Joe has kindly found some spec info for the car when it was originally built.

From the electrical issues, we've found that the car was one of a group only made for 7 months in 2001, and also appears to be a bit of an odd job.
It doesn't have ESP, but has ABS.

Clio 172 spec.JPG

Many.
Is nothing special.

It's only 2003 cars that had ESP/bolted diff, then late '03 had cruise too.

Yeah yours is early in the fact they changed some things but not groundbreaking.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Had a free morning so set about finally getting the passenger seat in, along with harness, whilst also adjusting mine.
I hate fitting seats. Have it a thorough cleaning inside too. Well, my level of thorough...

IMG-20170820-WA0009.jpeg
IMG-20170820-WA0011.jpeg
IMG-20170820-WA0013.jpeg

Mum was chuffed that she could get in and out quite easily. Then again, she is fairly small so it's not quite the same tussel to get in and out that I go through.
IMG-20170820-WA0015.jpeg

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Update: CSF 2017 - Blyton

So it was the big day. Or big weekend.
It's been a long time coming, and only a year late, but better late than never hey?

Firstly, I'd like to say a massive, massive thank you to everyone who has helped out with this project.
@Scrooge for the cambelt setup, and staying late to paint.
@Gus @RyG @Alistair14 @Pink-182 @Rob @Cookie @jaswalker24 @Bear Head @MarcB @dann2707 @joshpug1 and Fairm (who I can't seem to tag)- For the help at the Nick Frost meets, and help along the way.
@Steven103 for the endless effort, pushing along and late nights, and also putting me in touch with Chris for the welding.
Loads of people have contributed in the form of physical help, advice, and even just selling me parts!

I set off mid-morning on Friday, and having already had a shakedown when visiting @dann2707 's for the weekend (and losing a rear pad), I was pretty confident that the car would stay together. However, it hadn't really been driven in anger yet....

A few of us had arranged to meet at a pub in Blyton, for a spot to each, catch up, and for me, to meet new faces (Great to meet you @MarcB !).
Later on we headed down to Blyton (After some of the boys traveled to far away lands to find fuel and a shop), and setup camp for the night.

Saturday morning. I woke up feeling awful. No drink the night before, so a lack of sleep and pre-track nerves were to blame. Signed on, briefing done, and now I really needed a wee. Again.
Too late, we had to get out for the sighting laps.

With those out the way, I came back to the paddock, and adjusted my tyre pressures, and took a brave pill, and headed onto track.
It was....

AWESOME!!!!

The car handles really well, the DS2500's were more than enough for someone driving their first 1*2 on track, and more importantly, nothing broke.
That was the story of the day too thankfully. The car went out for about 6 sessions overall through the morning session, and never missed a beat.

I'd packed my SJ4000, and managed to get some footage from the first 4 sessions, but for some reason, the battery later ran out. Oh, that was because womble c**k here, forgot to turn it off after one of those sessions, so I have some glorious 18mins of footage, of my seat. Fantastic.

Still, I took a few people out, and was keen to get some feedback. Overall, people seemed mildy impressed with the car and my driving. Woohoo!

Even more amazingly, the car also appears to have made it back in one piece. It does have a belt squeal though, which was annoying as f**k, but otherwise, it runs well.

So unbelievably happy now, to finally have it on the road and on the track.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to see it running. Great that it's come this far, I remember when we were sat swearing at the dashboard that didn't come out/wouldn't go back in

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Absolutely chuffed for you. The car looks amazing and from the video drives brilliantly too. Well pleased the days of working out dash clock wiring and ecu stuff are over.